News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions - Other Toys and Figures

Started by sauroid, February 11, 2014, 07:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

A review of my most recent acquisition: The Sword of King Théoden (Herugrim) by United Cutlery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USNi8THJyeg

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

alexeratops

like a bantha!

tyrantqueen

Here are some of my other toys. I have only photographed a few, and I don't collect every single thing that is related to a certain series, I'm just picky like that. Also, I'm saving most of my space for the dinosaurs anyway >:D

Pokeball

Contains one of the three Unova starters (in my case it was a Tepig)

Mario (probably made by Banpresto)

I dunno if he counts as a figure...but he does have a plastic head, hands and shoes, so I guess he meets the criteria halfway..? I thought it was cute and I've always loved Mario so I picked it up.

Final Fantasy VIII action figures by Bandai

I liked the entire series of games (at least up until XIII...) but VIII was my favourite. VIII for me was like most other people's VII experience. Even though everyone else hates it, it's my fave.

Speaking of hate, here's the Kaiyodo Revoltech "Hotrodimus"

I always tend to like the characters that most other people hate. So yes, I like Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime *gets pelted with tomatoes* I actually used to have some of the older Hasbro Transformers toys when I was a lot younger (along with G1 and G2 My Little Ponies) but my mum chucked them away. I intend to buy some more of my favourite Transformers from the rest of the Revoltech line eventually.

Okay, that's enough nerdiness for one day >:D

stargatedalek

Mikoto Misaka from Certain Magical Index/Scientific Railgun (ignore the anhanguera nearby...)

Ridureyu

Very cool Final Fantasy score! I love that series.

I got another Yokai, a Hyakume:

lit. "One Hundred Eyes."  Hyakue are reclusive creatures, usually confined to abandoned or ruined areas.  If you see a Hyakume, it will detach and hurl an eyeball at you, which will then stick to your body for as long as you are in the area, watching to see if you commit any crimes.

tyrantqueen

Everyone's favourite backstabbing Decepticon second-in-command:

I always thought Chris Latta's voice acting for Starscream was adorable....not threatening at all >:D

stargatedalek

nice!
hes my favourite Transformer

I ordered a vocaloid Figma, but it won't be coming for a week or 2 at the earliest

Ultimatedinoking

Just got Galvatron, now all I need is hound and lockdown and I will have all the AOE bots!

My newest transformers from the past two months:

Whirl

EM Optimus prime

HO bumblebee

Drift

Galvatron

Crosshairs

Grimlock (masterpiece)

Grimlock

Slash

Scorn

Slag

Strafe

I also got the lego droid gunship and AT-AP
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

EmperorDinobot

Multiverse Batman 1989. The Batskiboat could sure use a proper naughty dusting.

Proper naughty *giggle*

Patrx

I picked this guy up awhile ago, but haven't photographed it until I was inspired to do so by Tyrantqueen's excellent new signature image!

Daizyūjin/The Megazord
Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger/Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

In Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger, Daizyujin is the inexplicably mechanical form of an ancient god that ruled over the five "dinosaur tribes" thousands of years ago. He's also kind of a jerk.

In the significantly more interesting show, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, the Megazord is the combined form of the five main Dinozords. It uses its solar panels to convert sunlight into pure justice.

tyrantqueen

Is that the Bandai Tamashii Nations Megazord? I want that model badly, but it's so expensive. The original Megazord design is so iconic.

Quotebut haven't photographed it until I was inspired to do so by Tyrantqueen's excellent new signature image!
I knew you'd approve ;)

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 18, 2014, 05:10:39 PM
Is that the Bandai Tamashii Nations Megazord? I want that model badly, but it's so expensive. The original Megazord design is so iconic.

That's the one! Pretty steep, to be sure, but I happened upon it at a convention and couldn't pass it up. In addition to being iconic, it really is one of the more appealing robot designs in the series. For the life of me, though, I still can't figure out where the cockpit is supposed to be.
QuoteI knew you'd approve ;)
I really should save that gif to my computer before you decide to change it!

CityRaptor

I always figured that his cokpit is in his head.

That would imply that we see through the area around his eyes and part of his nose....and that Geki is in his nose.

While this is debatable for Zyuranger as a whole,  Daizyujin is clearly more interesting than the Megazord.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Patrx

That's certainly what it looks like, but it doesn't match with the actual head very well, it's not transparent in that area and the scale doesn't work. Plus, there's a shot from inside when the head is still retracted, in Tank Mode, which gives the impression that they're inside the chest area. Couple that with the decals on the original toy that made the chest panels look like windows, and you've got a very confused ten-year old.

As to that, well, it depends on what you're interested in, but Daizyūjin has the same problem as the Guardian Beasts themselves - why are they robots?
They're robots because that's how sentai teams work. If the dialogue or story doesn't provide an explanation, the show only makes sense in context of the other shows rather than being able to stand on its own mythos. Maybe Daizyūjin got some interesting character development or something later in the series; but I was only inclined to watch half of it. It was kind of a thematic train wreck with boring characters and way too many awful child actors.
Er, apologies if you like the show, I'm sure it was very enjoyable for some people  :)

tyrantqueen

QuoteThat's certainly what it looks like, but it doesn't match with the actual head very well, it's not transparent in that area and the scale doesn't work. Plus, there's a shot from inside when the head is still retracted, in Tank Mode, which gives the impression that they're inside the chest area. Couple that with the decals on the original toy that made the chest panels look like windows, and you've got a very confused ten-year old.
I always tended to believe that they were probably in the head because it's the simplest and most convenient explanation. It doesn't make perfect sense, but a lot of the time, the show violates its own continuity anyway.

Wasn't there an episode where the Green Ranger (Tommy) snuck inside the Megazord while the other rangers were piloting it? I seem to remember it was the head where he jumped in (which raises another question: how is he able to jump 40 metres into the air?)

A Power Rangers/Super Sentai thread would be fun.

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 18, 2014, 10:26:37 PM
QuoteThat's certainly what it looks like, but it doesn't match with the actual head very well, it's not transparent in that area and the scale doesn't work. Plus, there's a shot from inside when the head is still retracted, in Tank Mode, which gives the impression that they're inside the chest area. Couple that with the decals on the original toy that made the chest panels look like windows, and you've got a very confused ten-year old.
I always tended to believe that they were probably in the head because it's the simplest and most convenient explanation. It doesn't make perfect sense, but a lot of the time, the show violates its own continuity anyway.
This is true; it's the sort of detail that tends to go unaddressed in the Power Rangers universe. To be fair, one of the things I like about the series is that it doesn't take itself all that seriously.

Quote from: tyrantqueen
Wasn't there an episode where the Green Ranger (Tommy) snuck inside the Megazord while the other rangers were piloting it? I seem to remember it was the head where he jumped in (which raises another question: how is he able to jump 40 metres into the air?)
Indeed he did! Not very sneaky, either, he just got tired of fighting fair and jumped in there like it was nothing. Really made an impression on me as a kid. As for leaping into the air, one assumes his evil Dragon Coin allowed for it. He was already displaying lots of odd powers, like telekinesis and unassisted teleportation.

Quote from: tyrantqueenA Power Rangers/Super Sentai thread would be fun.
I agree! I certainly have lots of opinions on the subject  :))

EmperorDinobot

I've been thinking about selling my Black Megazord, my Titanus and my Dragonzord. The Megazord and Dragonzord are complete with box. titanus is missing the chains.

The idea is to upgrade to Legacy Megazord, Dragonzord and Titanus. Should I do it?

Patrx

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on July 19, 2014, 10:07:21 AM
I've been thinking about selling my Black Megazord, my Titanus and my Dragonzord. The Megazord and Dragonzord are complete with box. titanus is missing the chains.

The idea is to upgrade to Legacy Megazord, Dragonzord and Titanus. Should I do it?

I have no firsthand experience with the Legacy Megazord, but it's based on the mold for the 2010 Megazord, which has some some distinct pros and cons. It's smaller and a little more dynamic-looking than the extremely boxy '93 mold, and the decals are pretty accurate to the show. On the other hand, the newer mold has a lot of odd hollowed places to cut down on material and some of the details are totally absent. In a bizarre move, the Triceratops no longer has wheels under its treads, but still has weird little ridges in the plastic where the wheels would be. Additionally, the new mold is designed to work with the unfathomably terrible idea that is the Zord-Builder system, so a few of the connections are different. Most notably, the Tyrannosaurus now has odd pegs on its knees in order to connect the Megazord legs.
If you don't mind the new mold, a die-cast Megazord toy is a pretty sweet idea. Value-wise, I have no idea how it compares to the Black Megazord. That black-and-gold color scheme sure looks neat, but that's not what the Megazord looks like - so why would I want it?
As for Legacy Titanus, it's pretty early to say, I've only seen a few early photos of the design.

The only clear-cut winner is the Legacy Dragonzord, which is a thing of magic and wonder and an improvement in every possible way over the original toy.

tyrantqueen

Titanus used to frighten me a bit as a kid...not sure why. Maybe it was the eerie looking fog? He's pretty cool though.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: