News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Amphibians

Started by stemturtle, April 01, 2012, 01:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stemturtle

Quote from: SBell on April 01, 2012, 09:23:07 PM
I don't have photos of my Primeval figures handy, but I do have one of this Ral Partha amphibian. I refer to it as Koskinodon, although it is just called "Fire Breathing Salamander" by the RPG company.

SBell, thanks for posting the photo. The Ral Partha Salamander looks enough like a metoposaur that Koskinodon is a reasonable ID.  If you ever get a chance to add photos of the Primaeval amphibians, I would like to see them.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

SBell

I'm on my home computer now, so here are the photos of the Primaeval amphibians.  They are quite small, and highly metallic, so photos don't work well with them. I also included the alternate Dinotales colour for the Diplocaulus, the small Diener Eryops, and a smaller Panosh amphibian.

Eryops in water

Eryops out of water

Diplocaulus diving

Diplocaulus rising

Diplocaulus Dinotales S1v2

Small Diener Eryops

And another Panosh amphibian (Seymouria? I'm open to suggestions on this one)

stemturtle

Quote from: SBell on April 02, 2012, 12:09:29 AM
I'm on my home computer now, so here are the photos of the Primaeval amphibians.  They are quite small, and highly metallic, so photos don't work well with them. I also included the alternate Dinotales colour for the Diplocaulus, the small Diener Eryops, and a smaller Panosh amphibian.

Your photos pretty well complete this subject, SBell.  Thanks for your kind contributions.  I have been looking for a Panosh "Seymoria" without success for quite some time.  Tomorrow I will post a thread on prehistoric turtles.

postsaurischian

Quote from: stemturtle on April 01, 2012, 10:40:02 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on April 01, 2012, 08:40:57 PM
Very beautiful collection & nicely displayed and photographed, stemturtle. I always liked your style :).

I still have to get me that Bully Mastodonsaurus one day >:(!

Postsaurichian, thanks for such nice praise.  I hope you find a Bully Mastodonsaurus soon.

It happened right after my post :D ;D! Thanks to brontodocus I now have one ^-^.

Quote from: stemturtle on April 01, 2012, 10:40:02 PM
I was discharged from the U.S. Army in Karlsruhe in 1971. My wife and I spent a month touring the Alps before returning to the States. Viel Spass.

That's cool :D. I was about 5 back then, so we probably couldn't have met :).
It might sound absurd but meanwhile I miss the American occupiers a bit. There were a lot more interesting concert events going on when we had them in Karlsruhe. I played my very first real gig (in a Heavy Metal band ;D) in 1984 in front of a totally freaking out American crowd. I will never forget that.
The Germans are a bit more reserved people.

brontodocus

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 02, 2012, 03:10:13 PM
It happened right after my post :D ;D ! Thanks to brontodocus I now have one ^-^ .
Hehe, at least in a few days, I've sent it out in the afternoon! ;)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

postsaurischian

Is it meanwhile generally accepted that Eusthenopteron was an amphibian?

stemturtle

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 02, 2012, 06:45:48 PM

Is it meanwhile generally accepted that Eusthenopteron was an amphibian?

Eusthenopteron is a tetrapodomorph rather than an amphibian. Tetrapodomorpha includes the fish ancestors that evolved into tetrapods.  This is a wonderful example of the gradations in a lineage.  When I simplified the v.1 article, some information got left out.

Gryphoceratops

very cool!  I love seeing interesting collections of more obscure things like this!  The more uncommon the theme being collected, the more fun and more meaning the collection itself has! 

stemturtle

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on April 02, 2012, 08:05:19 PM
very cool!  I love seeing interesting collections of more obscure things like this!  The more uncommon the theme being collected, the more fun and more meaning the collection itself has!

Welcome to my world, Gryphoceratops.  :)

stemturtle

UPDATE

Hyneria (Razh00 on Shapeways) and Eusthenopteron (Starlux)

These lobe-finned fish are tetrapodomorphs, with certain descendants who eventually evolved to join this forum. Hyneria was released after "00 Amphibians" was posted. I bought the Starlux Eusthenopteron, despite already owning the Kaiyodo figure, in a futile challenge to the stereotype of Scottish thrift.   ;)  The price was good on French eBay, with the help of Google translator. Postage, not so cheap.

therizinosaurus

Fantastic amphibian collection!
There's also those Japanese Dawn of the Dinosaurs figures that have a Promastodonosaurus, just for the sake of completeness.

SBell

Quote from: therizinosaurus on April 07, 2012, 12:31:25 AM
Fantastic amphibian collection!
There's also those Japanese Dawn of the Dinosaurs figures that have a Promastodonosaurus, just for the sake of completeness.

He's got it in there--6th row of photos (I'll admit, I didn't see it there at first either)

Paleo & Fish Collector

I just got offered the Play Visions. :)

SBell

Quote from: PteraspisEMMA on April 14, 2013, 03:22:27 AM
I just got offered the Play Visions. :)

I hope you get them--and I hope the price is good! They can command quite a high price!

edinosaur

Here are couple of great pics of Ichthyostega, so we can use them for modeling - http://www.dinosaurusi.com/en/post/122/ancient-amphibians---ichthyostega/

tyrantqueen

Quote from: edinosaur on November 15, 2013, 03:11:32 PM
Here are couple of great pics of Ichthyostega, so we can use them for modeling - http://www.dinosaurusi.com/en/post/122/ancient-amphibians---ichthyostega/
I could just google "Ichthyostega" if I wanted. Much more efficient. Not to mention, 3 out of 4 of those pictures is pixellated.

Crackington

Fantastic collection Stemtutle!

Here's a pic of my rather limited amphibian collection, showing the Yujin Acanthostega, the COG Icthyostega and the  Aurora Prehistoric Scenes/Revell Diplocaulus, which came with the Dimetrodon kit. Not sure if the latter model's been shown yet and sorry its not so clear a picture.  I painted it salamander-esque style which I think came out quite well, although I accept that its pretty unlikely it would have looked like this!. I'll see if I can take a better pic once my camera "issues" are resolved.  I also have a COG Diplocaulus not shown here. I made the base for the Icthyostega out of putty and the green is meant to represent moss:

stemturtle

Crackington, the photo of your collection shows some of my favorite figures.
Notice how well the COG Ichthyostega resembles the second photo linked by edinosaur.
The head of Diplocaulus is poking out of the pond in the Aurora swamp kit, hidden by the dragonfly in my photo.
Please post a close-up of the Diplocaulus from the Revell Dimetrodon kit. 
I'm still looking for a bargain on that figure.

Crackington

I'm afraid that we are in between cameras at the moment and I haven't got any better close-ups of the Diplocaulus saved in Photobucket. I'll take a few snaps and post once we get a new camera, but here's another overall shot which shows the model a bit more and also in situ with the Dimetrodon. Revell include it with the Dimetrodon reissue kit, so that might be the cheapest option for getting hold of the model (i.e. as opposed to forking out more for the orginal Aurora) You could also try the Prehistoric Scenes website, he sometimes has spare parts: http://www.tylisaari.com/prehistoricscenes/main.html  I'll keep my eyes peeled too.

By the way, I completely missed the jungle swamp base used in that photo! I had this kit as a kid but my parents chucked it out with the other models when I left home (sigh) - love the paint job on the meganeura.

DinoToyForum

I just found a draft dinotoyblog review by cordylus of the Playvisions prehistoric amphibians set, that I'd like to post. The only thing missing from the review are images, so I guess this is why the review was never published. I wondered if anyone here is willing to provide a photo of each Playvision figure for use on the blog?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: