You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

General diorama contest discussion

Started by DinoToyForum, March 05, 2014, 05:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brocc21

Has anyone thought of doing a thread for unused entries or a showing of the behind the scenes process? Seems like it'd be a fun idea.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

ceratopsian

Some contestants have done that in previous years once the results had been announced. It was fascinating, especially where people had for instance made their own animals and scenery!

Quote from: Brocc21 on October 07, 2023, 03:53:17 AMHas anyone thought of doing a thread for unused entries or a showing of the behind the scenes process? Seems like it'd be a fun idea.

Halichoeres

Yes indeed, poke around the "dioramas" section and you'll see some members' past entries.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Federreptil

Quote from: Brocc21 on October 07, 2023, 03:53:17 AMHas anyone thought of doing a thread for unused entries or a showing of the behind the scenes process? Seems like it'd be a fun idea.

I do this for my entries since the first participation. It's in the diorama section "Not used for contest 2013". The making-of for this year will come soon.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Are there any plans for a contest again this year?

DefinitelyNOTDilo

DinoToyForum

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on February 01, 2024, 06:01:13 AMWhy do I always forget to ping? avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum

You know you can edit posts rather than create a new one. :)

But, yes, I'm planning a contest for 2024.

Last year, for the first time, I introduced an optional 'entry fee' to support the contest and go towards a prize fund. However, of the 34 participants only 13 (38%) donated. I entered myself so technically I paid but didn't count it (you can't really donate to yourself!), so 13/33 is more accurate (39.4%). I have to admit I was disappointed with the outcome as it wasn't enough for the contest to pay for itself. If everyone had donated it would have been enough. I made the 'fee' optional in the spirit of inclusion – I didn't want to exclude anyone who simply didn't have the means to pay. But I didn't expect that to be the majority. It ended up feeling unfair on the organiser but also unfair on the other entrants who did pay. I was also surprised by how much Paypal took out of each donation. So, it was a failed experiment. On the other hand, it was simpler and more efficient than organising a sponsor and prizes.

So, I'm thinking of running the contest with no prizes at all this year. A contest just for the fun of it. It's simpler and less time consuming to organise that way anyway.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I am curious, I'm currently in the planning phase of my diorama and the thing is, it won't be all that big, so I'm wondering what the rules are on extending backgrounds using photoshop, or should I find a practical solution?

Halichoeres

The rules for 2023 are here and are similar to previous years. Photoshop augmentation is permitted. https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10625.0
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 02, 2024, 04:25:08 PMThe rules for 2023 are here and are similar to previous years. Photoshop augmentation is permitted. https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10625.0

This is a good opportunity for me to give advance notice that there will be at least one additional specific rule in the 2024 contest. I haven't decided on the exact wording yet but it will be something along the lines of: "The use of AI is not allowed". This is to stop people using AI to generate backgrounds. It may end up being an extension to the existing rule about photographs and backgrounds being allowed but only if they are the person's own work.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 02, 2024, 05:29:53 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 02, 2024, 04:25:08 PMThe rules for 2023 are here and are similar to previous years. Photoshop augmentation is permitted. https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10625.0

This is a good opportunity for me to give advance notice that there will be at least one additional specific rule in the 2024 contest. I haven't decided on the exact wording yet but it will be something along the lines of: "The use of AI is not allowed". This is to stop people using AI to generate backgrounds. It may end up being an extension to the existing rule about photographs and backgrounds being allowed but only if they are the person's own work.

Understandable.

Halichoeres

That's a smart addition! Would have been a real bummer to see that.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 02, 2024, 10:54:51 PM

That's a smart addition! Would have been a real bummer to see that.

How do you know you haven't already? ;)

triceratops83

I'm already working on my entry for this year. Always a highlight of the year for me.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

triceratops83

Just like last year, my entry's all done and ready to go months ahead of time. And I've already come up with an idea for next year. I'm an eager beaver.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.