You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

I need some serious SERIOUS help.

Started by EmperorDinobot, March 14, 2014, 11:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorDinobot

Ok folks. I'm writing this paper due in 11 hours. It is about the extinction of megafauna, and my thesis is that humans had a major part influencing these extinctions. In other words, I want to press and make my Arch teacher believe that WE destroyed the world. I need three case studies. Well, two, really. I already covered blitzkrieg theory, and random fact-lets around the world, as well as climate change and the Younger Dryas impact event.

Here's the help I need.

I need TWO very succint case studies or reviews of case studies that document the destruction of megafauna during the Quaternary Extinction Event that CLEARLY SHOW that humans did it. Make sure those have archaeological evidence because this is in the end an archaeology paper that I'm using paleo methods to construct. North America, Australia, Europe, I'm looking at you. I need bigger continents because I already explained how fragile island ecosystems are and so on.

Help will be rewarded with 50% in any purchase you make off my dino-toy sales op.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on March 14, 2014, 11:19:13 AM
Ok folks. I'm writing this paper due in 11 hours. It is about the extinction of megafauna, and my thesis is that humans had a major part influencing these extinctions. In other words, I want to press and make my Arch teacher believe that WE destroyed the world. I need three case studies. Well, two, really. I already covered blitzkrieg theory, and random fact-lets around the world, as well as climate change and the Younger Dryas impact event.

Here's the help I need.

I need TWO very succint case studies or reviews of case studies that document the destruction of megafauna during the Quaternary Extinction Event that CLEARLY SHOW that humans did it. Make sure those have archaeological evidence because this is in the end an archaeology paper that I'm using paleo methods to construct. North America, Australia, Europe, I'm looking at you. I need bigger continents because I already explained how fragile island ecosystems are and so on.

Help will be rewarded with 50% in any purchase you make off my dino-toy sales op.
Does not seem that difficult to establish Moas were eliminated by humankind, albeit not during the extinction event you cited..fits the australian criteria as well. I know you can offer evidence that demonstrates that mammoths were hunted by North American Paleo humans. Several kill sites are known that demonstrate presence of tool marks but not sure you can prove extinction. Myself I think you could make a great case for the extinction of Neandrethal due to homo sapiens
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SBell

There have been whole papers in the last few years about this stuff.

The big thing is that the extinction wasn't an event--it's that there appears to be an extinction pattern that more or less coincides with the appearance of humans in an area--so the Australian megafauna appeared to disappear much sooner (although in the same Geologic period) because people arrived there sooner than in North America. It's been a while, but I believe John Alroy had a paper out not that long ago.

Moas went extinct a few hundred years ago with the arrival of the Maori only hundreds of years ago; kind of like the largest lemurs, etc, of Madagascar.

EmperorDinobot

I need specific papers! no time for research for the time being. 11 hours left, I need to sleep a little.

Shouldn't have left this as a last minute thing but oh well. I have my excuses.

Though yeah, mammoth and neandertals being victims of our eh idk.

Libraraptor

SBell

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on March 14, 2014, 01:40:11 PM
I need specific papers! no time for research for the time being. 11 hours left, I need to sleep a little.

Shouldn't have left this as a last minute thing but oh well. I have my excuses.

Though yeah, mammoth and neandertals being victims of our eh idk.

With more notice we probably could have been more helpful as well. 11 hours is barely enough time to research a paper for one's self (as you likely noticed), never mind to get other people to try to do it!

EmperorDinobot

I thought the paper came out well. I explained  case studies on Malagasy lemuriforms showing evidence for butchery, the Younger-Dryas extraterrestrial event, some computer models that allude to the Blitzkrieg theory not being that far off, etc.

Grading has yet to occur. I better pass this class. They all hate me because I use paleontological explanations for all things archaeology. 

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.