News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Turtles

Started by stemturtle, April 02, 2012, 01:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varanops

Sorry to be late in responding.  Thanks, Stemturtle, for seeing fit to start a thread on this lamentably underrepresented group -- certainly one of my favorites.  Turtle origins have always fascinated me.  I have no more than a quarter-dozen examples in my own collection with perhaps as many more "prehistoric-looking" modern types which, by exercising a certain economy with the truth, I could allow in through the back door, their imposture hopefully difficult to detect by friends admiring my modest displays.  Fortunately, their key feature (the diagnostic shell) seems to have changed so little -- so astonishingly little -- over the 200 million years or so of their evolution that I often get away with it.  Like bats, turtles seem to have sprung from the earth complete with accouterments, intermediate or precursorial fossils all to seek, for the most part.  Fascinating findings on the molecular level seem to be pointing away from a pareiasaurian origin (that would have been my preference, but science before 'druthers) toward an archosaurian affinity.  Things were so much simpler when we could call them "reptiles" without fear of contradiction.  Great little thread for a wonderful segment of nature.  Thanks again.

stemturtle

Pleased to hear your kind comments, Varanops.
Although you may have already read about Pappochelys and Eunotosaurus, here are the threads:

New stem-turtle Pappochelys rosinae
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3544.0

Shell-less turtle ancestor related to birds and crocodiles
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3776.0

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

Libraraptor

I have been asked to post pictures of my Joy City Ltd. Odontochelys who I randomly found in a tube bought at ALDI Germany. I didn´t know it was something special until you told me  :) So, here we go:

On the belly it says "Odontochelys semitestacela"  :)

stemturtle

Libraraptor, thanks for the favor of posting photos of Odontochelys semitestacea. I do not know if  it is available in the United States. 
The plastron looks convincing. Next to the little Schleich guy, it appears to be about 2.5 inches or 5 cm.
Makes me wonder if we will eventually get figures of Pappochelys and Eunotosaurus.

SBell

Quote from: Libraraptor on November 01, 2015, 07:43:26 AM
I have been asked to post pictures of my Joy City Ltd. Odontochelys who I randomly found in a tube bought at ALDI Germany. I didn´t know it was something special until you told me  :) So, here we go:

The real question becomes--what else is in the tube? ANd can you get them for the rest of us!? ;D

Libraraptor

Quote from: SBell on November 01, 2015, 02:45:15 PM

The real question becomes--what else is in the tube? ANd can you get them for the rest of us!? ;D

We do have  in the two tubes "Prehistoric animals" and "Dinosaurs"

Odontochelys,Sarcosuchus, Indricotherium, Sabre tooth tiger, Amphicyonidae, Phorisrhacid, Mammoth,Pterodactylus, Plesiosaurus, Dolochorhynchops,Compsognathus, Argentinosaurus, T.rex, Triceratops, Parasaurolophus, Velociraptor, Dilophosaurus, Spinosaurus, Pteranodon.

The dinosaurs are decent, but not really good. The other prehistoric critters are decent, too, but have some interesting species choices. I decided to put them in my collection thread for closer inspection. As to the question: I´m not sure if they are still in stores by now, ALDI has special offerings every week. I´ll be in the store tomorrow to see what I can achieve.

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=87.msg117679#msg117679

SBell

Quote from: Libraraptor on November 01, 2015, 04:42:28 PM
Quote from: SBell on November 01, 2015, 02:45:15 PM

We do have  in the two tubes "Prehistoric animals" and "Dinosaurs"

Odontochelys,Sarcosuchus, Indricotherium, Sabre tooth tiger, Amphicyonidae, Phorisrhacid, Mammoth,Pterodactylus, Plesiosaurus, Dolochorhynchops,Compsognathus, Argentinosaurus, T.rex, Triceratops, Parasaurolophus, Velociraptor, Dilophosaurus, Spinosaurus, Pteranodon.

The dinosaurs are decent, but not really good. The other prehistoric critters are decent, too, but have some interesting species choices. I decided to put them in my collection thread for closer inspection. As to the question: I´m not sure if they are still in stores by now, ALDI has special offerings every week. I´ll be in the store tomorrow to see what I can achieve.

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=87.msg117679#msg117679

If they are, I certainly would like to get my hands on them! Some of them--like the Odontochelys and Amphicyonid--are worth the more 'problematic' dinosaurs!

Halichoeres

I'd like some of those too! Wonder where else they'll show up.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 02, 2015, 12:25:23 AM
I'd like some of those too! Wonder where else they'll show up.

The dinosaurs and the "prehistoric critters" came in two different tubes.

Libraraptor

I´m sorry to say that I couldn´t find any more of those tubes, having strolled through four other ALDIs in  our surrounding now... :(
Maybe they´ll show up again next year or unexpectedly at another place.

stemturtle

Quote from: Libraraptor on November 07, 2015, 10:41:14 AM
I´m sorry to say that I couldn´t find any more of those tubes, having strolled through four other ALDIs in  our surrounding now... :(

Libraraptor, the photos that you posted of Odontochelys are even more valuable since the inventory is no longer available. Thank you for looking.

Libraraptor

Quote from: stemturtle on November 07, 2015, 03:50:21 PM
Quote from: Libraraptor on November 07, 2015, 10:41:14 AM

Libraraptor, the photos that you posted of Odontochelys are even more valuable since the inventory is no longer available. Thank you for looking.

I just emailed the the concern centre directly. You´ll be informed!

DC

Panosh did a sea turtle #25, none of the figures were named but I guessed archeleon.

See the orange figure center.

http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/company_files/panosh.jpg
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

How Safari and Collecta both have yet to do an Archelon is beyond me...

I think Meiolania would also be right up both their alleys.

Halichoeres

Feels good to be able to add this little beauty:

PNSO Odontochelys
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

stemturtle

Beautiful photo, Halichoeres. Next, I hope you get your wish for a PNSO figure of Eorhynchochelys .

Shonisaurus

This odontochelys does not have to envy the resin dinosaurs. On the other hand, in the PNSO miniatures you can see the great work of Zhao Chuang, perhaps one of the best Asian paleoartists of today and I would dare one of the best paleo artists in the world.

It would be that all companies of dinosaurs and in this case of prehistoric animals were advised by paleoartists (although I have evidence that many are fortunately already excellently advised and with great paleoescultores that mix realism and genius and scientific precision). We see an example in the PNSO odontochelys. Mine, thanks to Acro-man, if they do not keep customs for an indefinite time, I will soon have them in my home.

Sincerely Halichoeres thank you for the photography to "open your mouth".

Libraraptor

What a Beautiful PNSO Odontochelys!

Halichoeres

Quote from: stemturtle on November 30, 2018, 10:20:57 PM
Beautiful photo, Halichoeres. Next, I hope you get your wish for a PNSO figure of Eorhynchochelys .

Oh, that would be fantastic! For now I'm very happy with this Odontochelys; don't want to get too greedy :)

DC

You can never have too many dinosaurs

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: