News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Hello fellow collectors and enthusiasts!

Started by KaraWildsong42, April 07, 2014, 03:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaraWildsong42

(If you read my introduction over on ATF: I apologize for redundancies, but promise this one will have some differences!)

Hello fellow collectors and enthusiasts! I can't begin to express how excited I am that there are other people out there that are just as bewitched by dinosaur figures as I am! Being 26, I quite often hear from family and friends that I'm way too old to be collecting plastic toys. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one!

I've been hooked pretty much from birth. I was born in '87 and Funrise came out with their realistic (for their time at least) figures in '88. I have about 32 surviving figures of this line, but sadly, none of my dinosaurs made it. I know at least one (a Pterodactyl) was lost when I took it to Preschool for show and tell, and that quickly stopped my carrying around of my toys outside the home or family vehicle.

At a fairly young age I drew a line between realistic looking figures and the cutesy, cartoon-looking toys. I don't recall playing with any toys more than my plastic animals. I remember my Barbies collected dust because of these things. Haha! I remember standing in Toys R Us begging my parents for more Puppy In My Pocket toys too. Totally within a calm, quiet vocal range too, I'm sure....

When I was still a kid, my parents were very supportive. Any time we went to the zoo or the Children's Museum, they'd buy me a figure or two; these were always Schleich or Safari Ltd. The Children's Museum used to have a big fake cave in one of their exhibits which they kept well-stocked with dinosaur toys (of course ones they sold in the gift store downstairs; they had to get us kids chomping at the bit for the merchandise early you know!).

I remember drooling over the huge, heavy Brachiosaurus figure. It was always 'too expensive' as my parents would put it. Of course, growing up and having the money come out of my own pocket, it does sting more, and I can say with shame that I still haven't bit the bullet and purchased him.

My two most recent acquisitions have been a dinosaur and a prehistoric creature respectively. I was impressed that Schleich put feathers on their 2011 Velociraptor, so he was snatched up as soon as I laid eyes on him. The most recent is one that is still on its way to me in the mail from across the pond: my first CollectA figure, the Megacerops! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

As I grow older, less people understand, but I remember those other times more. I thinks it's that understanding that I'm so excited to find here. I can't wait to get to know you all more and learn more about you and your love for your collections! My brief lurking phase on here has opened a door into a community I didn't know was so huge and active, and I'm SO ready to jump in!

Much love to all!
~Kara
You're not allowed to call them dinosaurs any more," said Yo-less. "It's speciesist. You have to call them pre-petroleum persons. -Terry Pratchett

Blade-of-the-Moon

tyrantqueen

Welcome to the forum :) Glad to see you're enthusiastic about collecting.

Patrx

Hi! Welcome to the forum. This is definitely the place to find people who understand dinosaur toy collecting :)
In a potentially interesting but not especially relevant coincidence, I am also twenty-six.

DinoToyForum

Just saw your intro on the ATF, welcome here, too! :)

docronnie

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

stoneage

I remember the cave at the Childrens Museum, too bad it's gone.  Do you by any chance remember the life size T-rex they used to have?

amargasaurus cazaui

Welcome to our den of dinosaurs !! By some humble and rather meaningless coincidence I have almost turned 26 for the second time actually, not quite though. Good luck with your collecting and I hope you enjoy the journey.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

KaraWildsong42

@Blade-of-the-Moon: Thank you! :)

@tyrantqueen: Thanks! Hehe, am i that obvious? ;)

@Patrx: Whoo! Go late twenties! Rofl! ;)

@dinotoyforum: Thank you very much!

@docronnie: Thank you! :)

@stoneage: Boy do I! It had little hatchlings down by its feet and everything! I actually had a nightmare about it after seeing the Pee Wee Herman movie!  :-[

@amargasaurus cazaui: Lol! Well Happy Not-Quite-Yet-Unbirthday!

@Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus: Thank you very much! :)

Thank you all SO much for the warm welcome!  ;D
You're not allowed to call them dinosaurs any more," said Yo-less. "It's speciesist. You have to call them pre-petroleum persons. -Terry Pratchett

Paleogene Pals

Welcome! It is nice to be on a forum with folks that have similar interests and passions. Actually, I am more of a collector of 1/20-scale resin and vinyl critters, little bit more of a sting on the pocketbook.  :-\

KaraWildsong42

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on April 08, 2014, 01:54:40 PM
Welcome! It is nice to be on a forum with folks that have similar interests and passions. Actually, I am more of a collector of 1/20-scale resin and vinyl critters, little bit more of a sting on the pocketbook.  :-\
Currently I can only dream about those kind of models. I still balk at 35.99 price tags! Lol!

Libraraptor

I am thirty six years old and I love collecting dinosaurs. We do have a similar background concerning our collecting passion. 36? 26? There´s nothing wrong about it,  so I am happy you have found us here or we have found you! Welcome to the forum!

CityRaptor

Welcome to the forum. Seems like you will fit in here quite well. One is also never too old for Dinosaurs.
And next time your family says something? Show them the underside of your Megacerops.  ;D
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Welcome to the site, sounds like nostalgia has a firm hold on you...me too.  That Carnegie Brachiosaurus (I assume that's the one you're talking about) was one of the first (and only) Carnegie Collection dinosaurs I had as a child and I absolutely loved it. I got rid of my original years ago as a teenager but got a new one when I started collecting, it does not seem as big as it used to! On occasion you can find it cheap on eBay, I only paid $10 I think on my replacement so you'll get one eventually, I'm sure. The good thing about collecting as an adult is there isn't anyone around to say "no", the downside of course being an increased appreciation for money.

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

stoneage

Quote from: KaraWildsong42 on April 08, 2014, 12:47:11 AM
@Blade-of-the-Moon: Thank you! :)

@tyrantqueen: Thanks! Hehe, am i that obvious? ;)

@Patrx: Whoo! Go late twenties! Rofl! ;)

@dinotoyforum: Thank you very much!

@docronnie: Thank you! :)

@stoneage: Boy do I! It had little hatchlings down by its feet and everything! I actually had a nightmare about it after seeing the Pee Wee Herman movie!  :-[

@amargasaurus cazaui: Lol! Well Happy Not-Quite-Yet-Unbirthday!

@Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus: Thank you very much! :)

Thank you all SO much for the warm welcome!  ;D

You wouldn't by any chance have pictures of that T-rex?

KaraWildsong42

Quote from: Libraraptor on April 08, 2014, 06:48:39 PM
I am thirty six years old and I love collecting dinosaurs. We do have a similar background concerning our collecting passion. 36? 26? There´s nothing wrong about it,  so I am happy you have found us here or we have found you! Welcome to the forum!

Thank you libraraptor! Hehe, musta been a dino-fan baby boom back in '87!  ;)

KaraWildsong42

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 08, 2014, 07:48:45 PM
Welcome to the forum. Seems like you will fit in here quite well. One is also never too old for Dinosaurs.
And next time your family says something? Show them the underside of your Megacerops.  ;D

I know people use 'lol' willy-nilly on the web (I am unfortunately one of them), but I really did burst out laughing at your 'underside of your Megacerops' comment. I'll do as you say and report back the reactions! ;)

KaraWildsong42

Quote from: Gwangi on April 08, 2014, 09:38:02 PM
Welcome to the site, sounds like nostalgia has a firm hold on you...me too.  That Carnegie Brachiosaurus (I assume that's the one you're talking about) was one of the first (and only) Carnegie Collection dinosaurs I had as a child and I absolutely loved it. I got rid of my original years ago as a teenager but got a new one when I started collecting, it does not seem as big as it used to! On occasion you can find it cheap on eBay, I only paid $10 I think on my replacement so you'll get one eventually, I'm sure. The good thing about collecting as an adult is there isn't anyone around to say "no", the downside of course being an increased appreciation for money.

Yup, that's the big beautiful brute alright! I am definitely a sappy nostalgic!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: