You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Patrx's Collection (Fauna Prehistorica)

Started by Patrx, April 04, 2012, 12:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Parasaurolophus
Sculpted by Doug Watson for Safari, LTD.
This is one of those figures that really works better in person than in photos - the details are great and there's more subtlety than one might expect in the color scheme.

Diplodocus
Safari, LTD.
While the sculptor is unknown to me, this one really does remind me of the more recent Carnegie pieces and fits right in with the newest Carnegie Brachiosaurus. Anatomically, it's pretty solid - the nostrils are in the right place, and the hand claws are correct - but, the "horseshoe" shape of the handprint could stand to be a little more pronounced.

Coelophysis
Sculpted by Doug Watson for Safari, LTD
My thoughts on this awesome little figure can be read in my review for the blog.

Thylacinus
Sculpted by Anna Dobrowolska-Oczko for Mojö Fun
Of the three commercially-available thylacine figures I know of, this one is my favorite. Of course, it's not actually a prehistoric species, but I felt it was an appropriate animal to represent in a gallery of extinct creatures.

suspsy

Quote from: Simon on February 08, 2017, 11:36:20 PM
Quote from: Patrx on February 08, 2017, 04:28:19 PM
Tyrannosaurus rex
This one gets a lot of photos, because, well, look at it. Is it the best Tyrannosaurus ever cast in plastic? Probably so.

*Chuckle*  Some folks might say that it isn't even the best Tyrannosaurus cast in plastic in 2017 ... (which is not a knock on Doug's SUPERB feathered TRex at all) ... its just a way of reminding you about THIS FELLOW that is also cast in plastic:

Hardbit is better. Wilson's clearly suffering from shrink wrapped skull syndrome.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Patrx on February 09, 2017, 07:39:43 PM

Parasaurolophus
This is one of those figures that really works better in person than in photos - the details are great and there's more subtlety than one might expect in the color scheme.

Your photos make this Parasaurolophus look a lot better, specially in the close up, I think many people would change their minds about it seeing it in person, but still I think that maybe if all the crest was the same color, not half dark and half yellow, it would improve a little bit more, but again it's a great sculpt.

stargatedalek

I for one think Wilson looks very cool, zombie dinosaurs are an interesting concept that I'd love to see used deliberately some day. (Unironic)

Reptilia

Schleich already produce them, Barapasaurus and Giganotosaurus are good examples.

Patrx

Quote from: Joe289 on February 09, 2017, 11:48:37 PM
Your photos make this Parasaurolophus look a lot better, specially in the close up, I think many people would change their minds about it seeing it in person, but still I think that maybe if all the crest was the same color, not half dark and half yellow, it would improve a little bit more, but again it's a great sculpt.
I'm not over the moon about the colors, but they do look better than anticipated overall, and the awesome sculpt makes up for any deficit. Plus, I can always repaint it anyway!

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 09, 2017, 11:51:42 PM
I for one think Wilson looks very cool, zombie dinosaurs are an interesting concept that I'd love to see used deliberately some day. (Unironic)
That may be one reason why I don't like it much - I can't stand zombies  :D

Tylosaurus
Sculpted by Doug Watson for Safari, LTD
This is another one that looks especially nice up close, it has  really convincing lizard-like skin texture. Also, the all-important tail fluke that makes this different from older reconstructions of mosasaurs!

Megalosaurus

This tylosaurus pictures convinced me to get one. This is the only picture that show the texture of this figure.
Thank you.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Patrx

I thought it might be interesting to show an overview of my collection as it's currently displayed!

In point of fact, I really need more space; you can see how cluttered everything is. The bottom shelf on the righthand side currently hosts Pokémon, but I may take those out to make room for dinosaurs in the future.

In order, the very topmost surface - Power Rangers stuff!

More thematically appropriate, tyrannosaurs on the left and aquatic animals on the right:

Maniraptoriformes, and a great deal of dust:

This shelf is a bit of a mess, but basically the idea was, non-mammalian non-dinosaurs on the left, marginocephalians and thyreophorans on the right:

Mammals on the left, sauropods and ornithopods on the right:

"Other" theropods that just didn't fit into the main shelf, halfway organized by affinity, but not really. Also Eoraptor, which is kind of a taxonomic enigma:

More theropods that didn't fit with their kin:

This shelf is basically "prehistory in popular culture":

And this shelf is just Power Rangers (and Gokaiger):

BlueKrono

On the bottom shelf... is that a running Dinohyus?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Patrx

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Reptilia

Is it only lighting or you have a Papo T-Rex that's particularly pale? At least it looks a lot paler than mine and all I've seen on pictures online.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Patrx on February 20, 2017, 11:30:45 PM
Yes, that's the Fauna Casts Daeodon!

Ah, I thought so. That's one of my most wanted figures. Any chance you'd be willing to sell or trade for it?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Nice setup! I especially like the little wheel of ceratopsians for whatever reason.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Silvanusaurus

Oh god, I think this is possibly the most beautiful dinosaur figure I've ever laid eyes upon.

Ezikot

I'm basically just a lurker and I want to thank you because your posts played a big role in changing the way I look at dinosaurs (feathers, soft revolution, ...), so I don't want to sound harsh but...
While I really love your collection – you have a lot of great figures! – I do not really like the setup.
What would I do? The wooden bookcase looks half empty, so I'd try to add more shelves or, at least, some risers.
It would also helpful because, in my opinion, the shelves are too overcrowded and, if sometimes it could be a nice way to display a collection, it doesn't work really well for your collection where each figure deserves more space, its own "spotlight".
In the end, I have to say I do not really like 2 different furniture, and if I couldn't change them with something else (i.e. 2-3-4 ikea's detolf), I'd try to paint the wooden bookcase white or I'd use some "adhesive paper" to make it white.
That's what I would say to a friend, so please read my few suggestions for what they are.

BrontoScorpio

Yes, I agree.
He should sell me some of his Dinos and buy with it some new shelves ... :)
A great collection Patrx !
Well done !

Patrx

Thanks for the feedback, all!

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 21, 2017, 05:09:27 AMNice setup! I especially like the little wheel of ceratopsians for whatever reason.

That was a lucky find - one of the legs is broken, so it was about to be discarded; but, leaning on the back of the shelf and obscured in part by dinosaurs, the damage is inconsequential!

Quote from: Reptilia on February 20, 2017, 11:50:04 PMIs it only lighting or you have a Papo T-Rex that's particularly pale? At least it looks a lot paler than mine and all I've seen on pictures online.

Possibly? I've actually never seen another copy of that particular figure in person, so I'm not sure how mine compares. The exposure of that photo is a little higher than the others, maybe this image gives a more comparable impression?

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 21, 2017, 01:38:06 AM
Quote from: Patrx on February 20, 2017, 11:30:45 PM
Yes, that's the Fauna Casts Daeodon!
Ah, I thought so. That's one of my most wanted figures. Any chance you'd be willing to sell or trade for it?

Hmm, I'll send you a PM.

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 21, 2017, 06:49:50 AM
Oh god, I think this is possibly the most beautiful dinosaur figure I've ever laid eyes upon.

It probably is! Unfortunately, I think it's been discontinued.

Quote from: Ezikot on February 21, 2017, 07:18:02 AM
I'm basically just a lurker and I want to thank you because your posts played a big role in changing the way I look at dinosaurs (feathers, soft revolution, ...), so I don't want to sound harsh but...
While I really love your collection – you have a lot of great figures! – I do not really like the setup.
What would I do? The wooden bookcase looks half empty, so I'd try to add more shelves or, at least, some risers.
It would also helpful because, in my opinion, the shelves are too overcrowded and, if sometimes it could be a nice way to display a collection, it doesn't work really well for your collection where each figure deserves more space, its own "spotlight".
In the end, I have to say I do not really like 2 different furniture, and if I couldn't change them with something else (i.e. 2-3-4 ikea's detolf), I'd try to paint the wooden bookcase white or I'd use some "adhesive paper" to make it white.
That's what I would say to a friend, so please read my few suggestions for what they are.

Wow, thanks! I have to say, I totally agree, the shelves are woefully overcrowded - and it really would work better for each piece to to have its own space, particularly since my collection isn't to scale. The furniture's just random thrift-shop oddments, I always intended to replace both bookcases - but, whenever I have money with which to do that, it invariably goes to more dinosaurs instead! Now that you mention it, adding a shelf here or there and recoloring the main case does seem financially plausible. Also, those "Detolf" cases seem pretty affordable. Thanks for your input  :D

ceratopsian

Quote from: Patrx on February 21, 2017, 04:17:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback, all!
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 21, 2017, 06:49:50 AM

It probably is! Unfortunately, I think it's been discontinued.

What a shame - it had really caught my eye for colour and the incredibly life-like look of alertness in its beady gaze.

Thanks for giving us a look at your excellent collection.

danmalcolm

Any chance you could post the dimensions of that rare breed deinonychus? I have my eye on it (your paint job makes it look quite tempting) however the only posting rare breed has for it individually (not in a pack with the other raptors) has its length listed as almost 15cm... then it's tagged 1:30 and 1:36 scale. Is it actually 15 cm long, and did you buy it with a pack or alone? Thanks in advance. You have a beautiful collection.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: