News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

American English

Started by Horridus, April 03, 2012, 08:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Because the room usuly has a sink to wash up.

or more acuratly at someones home, a shower/bathtub to wash up in.

also, Soda is Pop, here in Iowa

Tylosaurus

@ Tyrantqueen +7

Toilet makes more sense to me lol, I mean, like there is a bathtub in there ...yeah right

The thing is, there just isn't lol ::) British is far more to the point and it's the original English Language too, English originated from the UK and nowhere else!
So in my humble opinion them Americans should look at themselves first before complaining about it all and apposing it towards that of others, they are the ones that changed the word, not the British ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 05, 2012, 12:00:27 AM
Well like I said...we usually just say pants...underpants is more of a formal term.
I don't think any people wear trousers under their trousers for underwear...maybe undershorts?

That makes no sense though. Underpants are called underpants because we wear them under our pants. By calling underpants just pants you might as well be saying that you wear pants under your pants.

As for the English language, the English may have been the first to speak it but it took the Americans to perfect it.  ;)

tyrantqueen

Quotealso, Soda is Pop, here in Iowa
We say fizzy drinks.  :))

QuoteBecause the room usuly has a sink to wash up.

or more acuratly at someones home, a shower/bathtub to wash up in.
I understand what you're saying..but when someone is out in public or at work, they're usually not going to be taking a bath are they?

QuoteAs for the English language, the English may have been the first to speak it but it took the Americans to perfect it.
Actually, Americans are using the old version of English. Words such as "gray" were the original spelling, but over time the English changed the spelling to "grey" .Americans stuck with the old spellings because of their self imposed isolation.
So we were the ones who perfected it  :P

Ok, but seriously now....but let's not get into fight here people. Neither one is better ok? It's all down to personal preference.

BTW, here's something that puzzles me...at school I was always taught to pronounce Iguanodon as "Ig yoo arrn oh don"
But in the US you guys say "Ig wah no don" Was my teacher a total klutz or something?

Himmapaan

Well, if you pronounce it wholly anglicised, then, 'Ig-wah-no-don'.

If you wanted to be more Latinate, you might pronounce it, 'Ig-yoo-ah-no-don.'

It doesn't matter too much, really. We had a thread about how people pronounced their dinosaur names back in V.1, too.  :)

You should hear me pronounce some of the Chinese dinosaurs by Mandarin rules; Qilong is 'Chi-long', for instance.  ;D I tend to go by the country of origin if a dinosaur is named specifically after them. 'Nee-zhare-saurus' for 'Nigersaurus' (not 'Nye-jer-saurus'), 'Ree-o-ha-saurus' (with a guttural, fricative 'h') for 'Riojasaurus', and so on...

Also, the earliest form of the word 'trousers' as outer garments probably took shape in the sixteenth century and is of Gaelic origin, thus the British Isles; consequently, 'trousers' is earlier, not 'pants'.  ;D

tyrantqueen

QuoteI tend to go by the country of origin if a dinosaur is named specifically after them. 'Nee-zhare-saurus' for 'Nigersaurus' (not 'Nye-jer-saurus'), 'Ree-o-ha-saurus' (with a guttural, fricative 'h') for 'Riojasaurus', and so on...
Hmmm....interesting. But was the Nigersaurus discovered by someone from Nigeria? If it was discovered by an English speaking American, they would have their own way of pronouncing the word, and thus named it in their own language.

But hey, it's cool. There's no right or wrong way.

Gwangi

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 05, 2012, 12:59:07 AM
Also, the earliest form of the word 'trousers' as outer garments probably took shape in the sixteenth century and is of Gaelic origin, thus the British Isles; consequently, 'trousers' is earlier, not 'pants'.  ;D

The age of the words is not the issue. All I'm saying is, if you're going to call something underpants they should be worn underneath pants. It is either that or call them undertrousers.

QuoteActually, Americans are using the old version of English. Words such as "gray" were the original spelling, but over time the English changed the spelling to "grey" .Americans stuck with the old spellings because of their self imposed isolation.
So we were the ones who perfected it  :P

Ok, but seriously now....but let's not get into fight here people. Neither one is better ok? It's all down to personal preference.

Easy for you to say...making sure you got the last word on the matter.  :P I'm kidding though, I honestly don't really care how who says what in whatever country.

Himmapaan

Nigersaurus was named after the Republic of Niger, not Nigeria.  :)  But again, ultimately, it doesn't matter. We play huge linguistic liberties with these names at any rate. As long as we understand which animal we're referring to, it's all good.

Himmapaan

Quote from: Gwangi on April 05, 2012, 01:27:21 AM
Quote from: Himmapaan on April 05, 2012, 12:59:07 AM

The age of the words is not the issue. All I'm saying is, if you're going to call something underpants they should be worn underneath pants. It is either that or call them undertrousers.

Herein lies the confusion. Undersomething could mean duplicates of the outer but worn beneath, as much as things that are simply under the something. (Are we lost yet?)

Anyway, I never say 'underpants', simply 'underwear'.  ;)

tyrantqueen

QuoteNigersaurus was named after the Republic of Niger, not Nigeria.
Forgive me, I had a derp moment there  ::)

QuoteAnyway, I never say 'underpants', simply 'underwear'.
It also kinda depends on stuff like whether you're lower or upper class, and what part of the country you come from.
BTW, Himmapaan, is English your mother tongue?

QuoteWhen I lived in Australia we'd call underwear a pair of nickers ..., I was so confused how can it be a pair of nickers as to which it's one thing? oh noes..
As for the toilet in Australia that is called the Dunny Can, Australia had a cool type of English, but I guess it's more like British as common spellings go except the Australian Dialect which added a neat twist to it
Oh, god D: The word dunny brings back horrible memories XD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hrSL5UgjGo
Sorry, it's horrible, but my dad was obsessed with this show.  :-[

stoneage

It's not Anti-American Stonage and the British, Irish, Scottish, Dutch, French, Russians, Scandinavian, Australian & Canadians also saved us during the war, it was not only the American soldiers, even so I respect every soldier that fought against the Third Reich and the Japs for that case.

They saved us!?  First of all the Irish were neutral during the war and did not participate.  Finland fought with the Germans against the Russians.  The Soviet Union under Stalin like the Germans were invading other countries like Poland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.  If we hadn't stopped them in Berlin who knows what other countries would have been behind the Iron Curtain.  The Dutch were quickly over run and had one of the highest levels of collaboration with the Germans during the Holocaust.  75% of the countries Jewish population was exterminated.  Sweden claimed neutrality and allowed Germany to transport troops via Swedish railroads between Germany and Norway.  Germany defeated Denmark and Norway in a month.    France was defeated in two months.  How can you say these countries saved anyone when they couldn't even save themselves.  Canada did participate and had a strong military but 1/2 its Army and 3/4 of its Air Force personal never left the country.  Australia did fight and did a good job but really didn't have that strong a military at the time.  Scotland fought but had limited man power.  The UK fought valiantly but with out the help of the US probably would have at least suffered even more catastrophic casualties.  We saved the world!  And what is our thanks? 

Tylosaurus

When I lived in Australia we'd call underwear a pair of nickers ..., I was so confused how can it be a pair of nickers as to which it's one thing? oh noes..
As for the toilet in Australia that is called the Dunny Can, Australia had a cool type of English, but I guess it's more like British as common spellings go except the Australian Dialect which added a neat twist to it :)

Tylosaurus

Quote from: stoneage on April 05, 2012, 01:34:46 AM
It's not Anti-American Stonage and the British, Irish, Scottish, Dutch, French, Russians, Scandinavian, Australian & Canadians also saved us during the war, it was not only the American soldiers, even so I respect every soldier that fought against the Third Reich and the Japs for that case.

They saved us!?  First of all the Irish were neutral during the war and did not participate.  Finland fought with the Germans against the Russians.  The Soviet Union under Stalin like the Germans were invading other countries like Poland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.  If we hadn't stopped them in Berlin who knows what other countries would have been behind the Iron Curtain.  The Dutch were quickly over run and had one of the highest levels of collaboration with the Germans during the Holocaust.  75% of the countries Jewish population was exterminated.  Sweden claimed neutrality and allowed Germany to transport troops via Swedish railroads between Germany and Norway.  Germany defeated Denmark and Norway in a month.    France was defeated in two months.  How can you say these countries saved anyone when they couldn't even save themselves.  Canada did participate and had a strong military but 1/2 its Army and 3/4 of its Air Force personal never left the country.  Australia did fight and did a good job but really didn't have that strong a military at the time.  Scotland fought but had limited man power.  The UK fought valiently but with out the help of the US probably would have at least suffered even more catastopic casualtys.  We saved the world!  And what is our thanks? 

The way I read your posts is pro American and it's very disturbing my grandfather was a war hero and he's dutch, he used to steal weapon droppings of the Germans , by walking through a mine field , he did this 5 years long without getting caught and also during this he saw his mates gett'n blown up 5 meters from him, the place was litered with landmines, guts, blood and arms. you name it, that flew around his ears and all over him, he kept on going because if he did not do this the town where he was from would of been annihilated and there was not a single AMI in sight ... The Dutch are most thankful to the Canadians, British and Belgians, even that these were outnumbered by other forces, they coped well and could do a lot more with a lot less people.

France was saved with D-Day, so basically it wasn't defeated in it's total, many Americans were there yes but they were not the only ones and from your post it seems that the Americans were the only ones thus I find that incorrect information.
You don't have to tell me how the war was, sorry for saying this I have seen photo's that were to hard to describe thanks, you post feels as a major insult and totally respectless.

tyrantqueen

QuoteScotland fought but had limited man power.  The UK fought valiantly but with out the help of the US probably would have at least suffered even more catastrophic casualties.  We saved the world!  And what is our thanks? 

Well, first of all, Scotland IS PART OF THE UK. Sorry, but people keep getting this wrong.

America didn't even want to be part of WW2 at the beginning, they only got involved when Pearl Harbour was bombed.

There are no "heroes" in war. That is hollywood movie nonsense. All war is Hell.

Himmapaan

Forgive me for stepping in so soon (I don't like doing it), but if we could please try not to engender yet another topic split, that would be most welcome.

I understand fully that there are strong feelings invested in this issue, but do please try not to cause eruptions where possible. Discuss it further in private messages if you wish.

It may also be worth noting that not everything said on these boards need be taken absolutely seriously or a response deemed always necessary. Sometimes there is much to be said for ignoring something and remaining silent.

Takama

Mybe its best we not argue about the countrys in WW2.
otherwise we might get this topic closed.

tyrantqueen

QuoteMybe its best we not argue about the countrys in WW2.
You're right. I don't even know why it was brought up.

Tylosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 05, 2012, 01:56:03 AM
QuoteMybe its best we not argue about the countrys in WW2.
You're right. I don't even know why it was brought up.
That I agree totally :)

As for colors is the color Marone the same as Brown? I dunno what makes these namings different though :)
When I was in Australia Marone was more like a Red brown color  but over here where I live now it's just a different naming for Brown, unless I am a bit lost here atm :)

tyrantqueen

I dunno, I always thought maroon was dark red, at least here it is.  :P

Tylosaurus

haha oh noes :X hmm I'd take it as Dark Red then hmm :) Anyhoo I'd believe you for everything

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: