News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Deinocheirus skull

Started by Funk, May 06, 2014, 05:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funk

Newt

I don't understand...there's a hadrosaur skull in one picture; I can't tell what the skull in the other picture is (or if it's the same hadrosaur skull).  Maybe something was lost in translation.

Funk

On the DML Ben Chrisler said "A news story from Mongolia. The skull for the Deinocheirus looks a lot
like a hadrosaur on the beak end but theropod-like from above."

Balaur

Wow! So the head is weird!

therizinosaurus

Not sure what I'm more confused by...the incredibly hadrosaur-esque skull, or that bizarre reconstruction where Deinocheirus has a massive humpback...

Trisdino

It was found that Deinocheirus had a structure on its back, similar to that of concevantor, or modern day rhinos, suggesting a hump. so it is not a bizarre reconstruction at all.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Trisdino on May 06, 2014, 06:23:43 PM
It was found that Deinocheirus had a structure on its back, similar to that of concevantor, or modern day rhinos, suggesting a hump. so it is not a bizarre reconstruction at all.
C'mon guys, this news is so 2013 ;) >:D

ZoPteryx

Holly fudge, could this dinosaur get any weirder!!!  :o  I'm guessing they discover it had cloven hooves next!  ::)

Balaur

Quote from: Zopteryx on May 06, 2014, 07:39:52 PM
Holly fudge, could this dinosaur get any weirder!!!  :o  I'm guessing they discover it had cloven hooves next!  ::)

Ha! Yep, a mysterious dinosaur that turns out to be the weirdest of them all. Its an ornithomimosaur, but it has a hump and a hadrosaur like skull... That's just weird! So freaking awesome!

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Balaur on May 06, 2014, 07:41:58 PM
Quote from: Zopteryx on May 06, 2014, 07:39:52 PM

Ha! Yep, a mysterious dinosaur that turns out to be the weirdest of them all. Its an ornithomimosaur, but it has a hump and a hadrosaur like skull... That's just weird! So freaking awesome!

It's just so weird, all signs pointed to Deinocheirus being a high-level browser: long neck, long arms, hooked claws, tall stature; but now it beak suggests it was a grazer!  There's nothing else in the skeleton to suggest that, except possibly the short, sturdy legs and maybe the hump if it played a role in structural support.   Speaking of the hump, did you notice that skeletal restoration in the background?  It's way taller and farther forward than I had imagined!  But given its new found beak this might make sense for animal that spent a lot of time leaning forward to graze (major neck muscle attachment site perhaps?).

Balaur

Yeah, I noticed the skeletal. I'm thinking it may have taken a similar niche to hadrosaurs.

CityRaptor

Interesting! So basically it is a Theropod that evolved Hadrosaur-like features.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

Can the collecta model get any more outdated?

CityRaptor

Maybe if it turns out Deinocheirus was scaly. ;D
To be fair, no one could have predicted that Deinocheirus had that kind of skull.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's very interesting.  Ornitomimids do have a sort of beak-like look to their skulls too..so it would just be a different shape but still similar.   I'd like to see actual comments by the scientists that end up studying it though.

Yutyrannus

So, the skull that looks like a hadrosaur skull is the Deinocheirus skull? Any better pics of it? I need some profile pictures of it for my new Deinocheirus picture.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Funk

That's right, apparently.

For some reason most humped depictions show the hump over the hips only, not sure what that assumption was based on... I tried to update the Wikipedia image according to the new stuff: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hypothetical_Deinocheirus.jpg Will have to update it again when better photos get out, of course.

Yutyrannus

Don't you need to change the skull?

Funk

I did make it flatter and a bit more duckbill-like, if you compare to the older version. Not sure how it looks in profile, so it is just a guess.

Yutyrannus

Oh, okay, I see what you mean. Also, I think the skull looks like Edmontosaurus annectens, so maybe try to base it off of that.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: