News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Deinocheirus skull

Started by Funk, May 06, 2014, 05:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on June 03, 2014, 07:18:20 PM
Quote from: alexeratops on June 03, 2014, 02:36:53 PM
That clears things up a bit. Maybe he was a fisher.

How so? There's no evidence that it is. All the evidence points to it being a herbivore. I do like the picture though.
Agreed. I think it would've fed more like a moose.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

amargasaurus cazaui

Maybe he was like yogi bear and went about snatching picnic baskets with those long claws.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Awesome picture, new computer wallpaper.  8) I'm not sure how accurate this restoration is but I'm on board for the moment at least.

HD-man

Quote from: Gwangi on June 04, 2014, 12:26:24 AMAwesome picture, new computer wallpaper.  8) I'm not sure how accurate this restoration is but I'm on board for the moment at least.

That reminds me: I'm surprised no one else has mentioned Rey's new Deinoncheirus reconstructions ( http://luisvrey.wordpress.com/tag/deinocheirus/ ).

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

tyrantqueen

Looks like there is some camel and giraffe mixed in there. I really wish he'd go back to his old style of painting, it's a thousand times better.

CityRaptor

The Russian Version is clearly the better looking one. What is it with Rey and wattles anyways?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 04, 2014, 09:35:47 PM
The Russian Version is clearly the better looking one. What is it with Rey and wattles anyways?
Perhaps he has a wattle fetish >:D

CityRaptor

So he is Richard Fish?

Fun aside, I think that head really makes Deinocheirus look like some evil Hadrosaur.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Funk

I'm surprised those two new reconstructions don't show extensive arm feathers, as implied by that Ornithomimus paper last year (though Rey's is better in that regard). The unfeathered parts look a bit out of place, though.

alexeratops

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 03, 2014, 07:39:42 PM

How so? There's no evidence that it is. All the evidence points to it being a herbivore. I do like the picture though.
Well, it did have long claws like a piscivore, and its head is shaped like a spoonbill's head.
like a bantha!

Balaur

Quote from: alexeratops on June 06, 2014, 02:31:54 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 03, 2014, 07:39:42 PM

Well, it did have long claws like a piscivore, and its head is shaped like a spoonbill's head.

Well, the claws are short and not good for catching fish. Also, the skull loos way more like a hadrosaur than a spoonbills. Since it's not described yet, we won't know for sure until it is described.

EmperorDinobot

This story is so messed up, I find myself unable to reconstruct this animal.

tyrantqueen

Looks like Galileo Hernandez was the first to sculpt a Deinocheirus:

Patrx

Interesting interpretation - it looks almost like an ornithomimid, but without primary feathers.

Simon

What the heck did Deinocherias eat?  It has predatory Ornithomimid claws, but a plant-eating skull like Hadrosaurs? 

I assume its yet another Asian example of 'reverse-adaptation' - ie, like the Therizinosaurids, its ancestors were bipedal predators who adapted to a plant diet?

Has anyone written about this?  I've asked this before, but aren't these the only two known species where this 'reverse' trend occurred?

Theropod plant eaters - seems like an oxymoron....

tyrantqueen

QuoteTheropod plant eaters - seems like an oxymoron....
But there are plenty of theropods that eat plants. Parrots for example.

Anyway, the CollectA Deinocheirus is looking embarrassingly outdated now >:D

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Simon on June 23, 2014, 09:29:29 PM
What the heck did Deinocherias eat?  It has predatory Ornithomimid claws, but a plant-eating skull like Hadrosaurs? 

I assume its yet another Asian example of 'reverse-adaptation' - ie, like the Therizinosaurids, its ancestors were bipedal predators who adapted to a plant diet?

Has anyone written about this?  I've asked this before, but aren't these the only two known species where this 'reverse' trend occurred?

Plants, of course.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gwangi

Quote from: Simon on June 23, 2014, 09:29:29 PM

I believe the current consensus is that a lot of theropods may have at least been omnivorous. Orthithomimids and Oviraptors come to mind.  Caudipteryx was preserved with gastroliths, would seem it was at least an omnivore/herbivore.

HD-man

Quote from: Simon on June 23, 2014, 09:29:29 PMWhat the heck did Deinocherias eat?  It has predatory Ornithomimid claws,

Last I checked, ornithomimosaur claws aren't those of a predatory dino (See the Holtz quote).

Quote from: Gwangi on June 23, 2014, 10:55:37 PMI believe the current consensus is that a lot of theropods may have at least been omnivorous. Orthithomimids and Oviraptors come to mind.

What other non-bird examples are there (besides maybe troodonts, which seem more like mesocarnivores than actual omnivores)?

Quoting Holtz ( http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaurs-Complete-Up---Date-Encyclopedia/dp/0375824197/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403631357&sr=1-1 ):
QuoteOrnithomimosaur hands also differed from those of classic predatory dinosaurs. Instead of the grasping hands and slashing claws of most theropods, the hands of ornithomimosaurs formed a hook, or clamp, and their claws were rather straight. The closest modern comparison would be the hands and claws of South American tree sloths. But unlike tree sloths, ornithomimosaurs were too big to hang from the trees. They must have used their clamping hands to grab and pull down branches to get at tasty leaves and fruit.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Funk

QuoteWhat other non-bird examples are there (besides maybe troodonts, which seem more like mesocarnivores than actual omnivores)?
Limusaurus and perhaps Elaphrosaurus as well.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: