News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

T-rex around 15m long?

Started by Lio99, April 04, 2012, 11:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lio99

Super predators! missing baryonyx
green: spinosaurus (18m long) orange: giganotosaurus (14m long) blue:  carcharodontosaurus (14m long) black: tyrannosaurus (13m long)
red: tarbosaurus (12m long)

SBell

Not sure where you are getting your numbers--recent estimates of Carcharodontosaurus place it at 12-13m.

Lio99

Quote from: SBell on April 05, 2012, 01:52:30 PM
Not sure where you are getting your numbers--recent estimates of Carcharodontosaurus place it at 12-13m.
Wikipedia also says that giganotosaurus was between 12m and 13m.

Arioch

Non avian theropods could achieve pretty diverse sizes once they reached maturity, apparently. A Rexy over 13 metres, even reaching 15 metres could probably exist but as an aberrating form, kinda like the croc Gustave.

SBell

Quote from: Lio99 on April 05, 2012, 02:14:59 PM
Quote from: SBell on April 05, 2012, 01:52:30 PM
Wikipedia also says that giganotosaurus was between 12m and 13m.

But that doesn't explain the image you put up--the lengths are overestimated for at least two dinosaurs.

Tylosaurus

@ Lio99

I think SBell wants you to tell us how you got to those sizes, where did you get that information from? Posting a source from where you got those sizes from might be helpful :)
Even I'd be interested to know ;D

As Wikipedia goes, it can be some what unprecise, since it can hold faulty information, but overall it does have lots of good proven information.

pylraster

Yeah, what happened to that C-Rex anyway? I'm thinking it's not bigger than Sue at all that's why no info is being made about it. Or else Horner eats his words...

I think there's a new skull  that is a bit longer than Sue's, and that this new Rex could be 6% larger than sue. I guess its safe to say they reach 13 meters.

Lio99

Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 05, 2012, 04:09:50 PM
@ Lio99

I think SBell wants you to tell us how you got to those sizes, where did you get that information from? Posting a source from where you got those sizes from might be helpful :)
Even I'd be interested to know ;D

As Wikipedia goes, it can be some what unprecise, since it can hold faulty information, but overall it does have lots of good proven information.
Oh yeah sorry about those sizes i have seen more books with giganotosaurus 15m in it. who has the illustrated encyclopaedia of dinosaurs? But i think they are over doing it because they are exited that there is a new carnivore that is bigger than t-rex. well i will tell you something DK! giganotosaurus was not that much bigger than t-rex. As fore carcharodontosaurus it was slightly larger than giganotosaurus. So i hope books will stop calling giganotosaurus the top predator or the largest carnivorous dinosaur.
There i think i made my point.  8)

Tylosaurus

It could be that these books have obsolete information, internet shall always be ahead of books imo ;)

SBell

Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 05, 2012, 10:11:19 PM
It could be that these books have obsolete information, internet shall always be ahead of books imo ;)

The internet is by no means inherently trustworthy--often, people writing things are just using the books they have anyway, or are quoting other websites that may be incorrect.

Tylosaurus

Evenso there are plenty places where you can find plenty factual information which books lack ;)

Lio99

well there is no books these days that says that liopleurodon was 6m long.
They are still saying 25m long.

ZoPteryx

Neat size chart.  You might want to include Oxalaia, a new South American spinosaur.  If memory serves, it is thought to be similar in size to Spinosaurus, though I'd make it a little smaller, just to be safe. ;)

Eriorguez

Oxalaia is pretty much a snout tip...

Anyway, Sue is VERY large compared to all other Tyrannosaurus specimens, and also quite old in age. Finding a 15 meter Tyrannosaurus would be finding one FAR above average size, in a group where adult size is quite consistant (unlike Allosauroids, where one can find adults of 8 and 12 meters of lenght in the same bonebed).

Horner likes his press releases, but Bakker does as well, and he publishes even less stuff. I'm still waiting for his "specimen that disproves Dracorex/Nanotyrannus being juveniles of older genera". Curious fact he was involved in naming both of those, and was quite fast in doing so as well...

And Tyrannosaurus wouldn't be 6 meter tall, the fully extended leg is not even 3 meters long. That number is based on the old, kangaroo-like posture. 3.5 meters at the hip is already a considerable height for Sue.

SBell

Quote from: Eriorguez on April 11, 2012, 02:40:35 PM
Oxalaia is pretty much a snout tip...

Anyway, Sue is VERY large compared to all other Tyrannosaurus specimens, and also quite old in age. Finding a 15 meter Tyrannosaurus would be finding one FAR above average size, in a group where adult size is quite consistant (unlike Allosauroids, where one can find adults of 8 and 12 meters of lenght in the same bonebed).

Horner likes his press releases, but Bakker does as well, and he publishes even less stuff. I'm still waiting for his "specimen that disproves Dracorex/Nanotyrannus being juveniles of older genera". Curious fact he was involved in naming both of those, and was quite fast in doing so as well...

And Tyrannosaurus wouldn't be 6 meter tall, the fully extended leg is not even 3 meters long. That number is based on the old, kangaroo-like posture. 3.5 meters at the hip is already a considerable height for Sue.

Having been in contact with P. Currie (another person that named Nanotyrannus), Sue, Stan and Scotty are all similar in size, with variations here and there in some dimensions (some are comparatively larger in some dimensions, some are smaller, etc).  And Scotty is about as old as T.rex would get as well (currently considered the oldest-at-death). Admittedly, for ~$8M, Sue has to have a few superlatives attached or that amount of money just seems like a waste ;D

Eriorguez

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tyrannosaurusscale.png

Doesn't seem like that to me, and I think Hartman and Paul are quite reliable, and Matt's charts tend to be very accurate to their sources.

SBell

Quote from: Eriorguez on April 11, 2012, 06:25:21 PM

Doesn't seem like that to me, and I think Hartman and Paul are quite reliable, and Matt's charts tend to be very accurate to their sources.

Well, it's not like Phil Currie knows what he's talking about...  He did mention that his measurement methodology has changed since 1991 when he measured Sue, which allows for some variation in how the numbers are interpreted, so that may be where some of the differences are coming from.

This isn't to say that the artists involved aren't reliable, but that their information may not have been fully complete (the Sue measurements were also taken before prep work was complete). And I hope GSP gave his permission to use his work in that image, because he may be the most aggressive artist when it comes to protecting his intellectual property and the use thereof!

Dinoguy2

Quote from: SBell on April 11, 2012, 08:51:46 PM
Quote from: Eriorguez on April 11, 2012, 06:25:21 PM

Well, it's not like Phil Currie knows what he's talking about...  He did mention that his measurement methodology has changed since 1991 when he measured Sue, which allows for some variation in how the numbers are interpreted, so that may be where some of the differences are coming from.

This isn't to say that the artists involved aren't reliable, but that their information may not have been fully complete (the Sue measurements were also taken before prep work was complete). And I hope GSP gave his permission to use his work in that image, because he may be the most aggressive artist when it comes to protecting his intellectual property and the use thereof!

"Based on" doesn't mean traced from, I just used them as references for size. Those are silhouettes of my original drawings.

QuoteThe Hadrosaur's backside appears to be approximately 25 percent larger than previously thought; a surprising conclusion that could change our image of the dinosaur for the last 150 years. 
This is in reference to the size of the musculature of the thighs and tail ("backside" meaning "butt"). "Size" does not mean "length". You need to take into account the context.

QuoteYeah, what happened to that C-Rex anyway?
Still waiting to be studied and published. But for the record, I have never in my life seen a preliminary size estimate for any dinosaur that turned out to be true when it was actually studied and published. Mapusaurus, Seismosaurus, etc. etc. were all grossly overestimated by over-excited researchers before being cut down to size by actual study of their bones.

QuoteSue, Stan and Scotty are all similar in size, with variations here and there in some dimensions (some are comparatively larger in some dimensions, some are smaller, etc).
I'd say a difference of a meter or so in length and a few inches in skull length is "similar" in size. If he means they're exactly the same size (which is not what he said) then the published data is wrong and he should publish a paper correcting it. But it sounds like that's not what he meant. Unlike a lot of T. rex fans, most paleontologists don't really distinguish between half-meter size differences: an 11.5 m and a 12.8m T. rex would look identical to the guy on the receiving end of their jaws ;)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SBell

Seeing as most of Scotty's dimensions are unpublished, I don't know the details of the size differences. I do know that Sue's ilia fit inside of Scotty's (a cast of Sue's was rested on top of the actual Scotty fossil)--and that no T.rex femur has a larger diameter (but shorter than those of other specimens). Also, Scotty has the longest nasal of any T.rex specimen. On the other hand, other parts of the Scotty skull are shorter.  So the differences are probably not 1m, but probably much less. Overall Scotty is not considered the longest or tallest by any means, but overall is considered the most massive.

And even having other drawings 'based on' GSP's work can be enough to get him angry--he's quite protective of his work!

Horridus

Quote from: SBell on April 14, 2012, 04:04:36 PM
And even having other drawings 'based on' GSP's work can be enough to get him angry--he's quite protective of his work!
Only when it's obviously based on his work, I think. Matt's drawings are a very different style to GSP's, even if some of his life restorations include GSP's skeletals among their references.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: