You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

From the North (of China) came the furry tyrannosaurs

Started by Horridus, April 04, 2012, 07:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Libraraptor

It was just a matter of time when evidence for "feathered" adult Tyrannosaurs would be found. Yet I must admit I am really excited!

Seijun

This will make sculpting a tyrannosaurs SO MUCH easier! I hate scales ><
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

SBell

Quote from: Seijun on April 08, 2012, 11:12:44 PM

Are feathers actually easier?

Seijun

Quote from: SBell on April 08, 2012, 11:22:58 PM

OMG yes! As least, fuzz and protofeathers are! Everyone over in the art section seems to be able to sculpt scales like a pro, but I've tried half-a dozen different ways and I still cant get them right.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Himmapaan

I must say, I find fuzz and protofeathers 'easier' to sculpt than scales, too.

Tylosaurus

Oh how is that? Is that by drawing lines to shape up the furr or feathers, or would that be of a different reason?

As your arts go they all look very professional Himmapaan 8) Not to be worried about that ;)

Seijun

I use a blunt needle to shape fur and protofeathers.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Seijun on April 08, 2012, 11:44:41 PM
Quote from: SBell on April 08, 2012, 11:22:58 PM

OMG yes! As least, fuzz and protofeathers are! Everyone over in the art section seems to be able to sculpt scales like a pro, but I've tried half-a dozen different ways and I still cant get them right.

There are a lot of ways to do scales..I've seen stamps made that you can use for a pattern, I've even used a coffee stirrer for smaller projects. I used a hot knife to draw in irregular circles and shapes in my larger dinos..now that is time consuming...you could do a simple cross hatch pattern to show them though..bit quicker.

Seijun

I've tried stamps, carving scales, drawing scales in, even making scales with hollow bird feathers that have the tips cut off.... This is the best I can come up with, and I hate it: http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/Seijun/Misc/IMG_3044.jpg
Far too much space between each scale.

tyrantqueen

Does this mean now that any figure of Tyrannosaurus Rex made after April 2012 without feathers/fuzz will be given a negative review on the blog for being "inaccurate?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Seijun on April 09, 2012, 02:01:05 AM
I've tried stamps, carving scales, drawing scales in, even making scales with hollow bird feathers that have the tips cut off.... This is the best I can come up with, and I hate it: http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/Seijun/Misc/IMG_3044.jpg
Far too much space between each scale.

Really ? That looks alright to me actually. :) 

I don't really see any space between the scales ?

Seijun

tyrantqueen: I would think not, since this discovery does not prove that tyrannosaurus rex had feathers, only that a *possible* close relative did. I think we could now go so far as to say that trex could very well have had feathers, but again... this does not prove beyond a doubt that trex was feathered. That's just my interpenetration anyway.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 09, 2012, 07:49:13 AM
Does this mean now that any figure of Tyrannosaurus Rex made after April 2012 without feathers/fuzz will be given a negative review on the blog for being "inaccurate?

Agreed, I also wouldn't think so.  Like Seijun said they would need to find a Tyrannosaurus Rex with feathers for definitive proof..until you have that it's still speculation that Rex had feathers as an adult. I figure with or what is still acceptable right now.

Tylosaurus

Maybe the young Rex's had feathers to keep them warm, like chickens have down feathers and at a later age they lose their feathers, this is what I am thinking.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 09, 2012, 09:35:32 AM
Maybe the young Rex's had feathers to keep them warm, like chickens have down feathers and at a later age they lose their feathers, this is what I am thinking.
That's actually what most scientists think these days.
I don't mind Tyrannosaurus with fuzz, but I like scaly Rex too. Part of the fun of collecting dinosaurs is not knowing what each animal looked like with absolute certainty, thus there is a certain amount of room for artistic license and personal interpretation....but then again I do have a scaly velociraptor in my collection  XD

BTW, am I weird for thinking this Rex is the most adorable thing ever? XD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC3tITZl-Bo

Tylosaurus

awww cute Rexie <3 ^-^ After the feathers I think a T-Rex would of had a hide much like that of an elephant for example :)

tyrantqueen

Oh, I thought it would have had scales like birds have underneath their feathers, like this swan's leg  :)

(Not my photograph)

Tylosaurus

Yeah you got a point there, since Birds are the descendants of the Dinosaurs, even Crocs like Monitors and snakes have scales too, I guess that does blend in :)

Seijun

Apparently, they also found fuzz on Y huali's feet. The illustrations I've seen so far have given him bare feet.

For reference, here is what feathers and scales look like together on living animals.

Why yes! I do love owl feet!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: