News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Transformers 4: Age of Extinction

Started by alexeratops, May 19, 2014, 03:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brontozaurus

I don't really have an issue with the Dinobots not being 100% accurate representations of the species they transform into. Like at first I thought it was a bit weird that Grimlock had horns and the pterosaur had two heads but it makes them unique and sets them apart from the other incarnations of the Dinobots that appear throughout the franchise.

If it helps anyone, the horns on the Grimlock toy I bought this week can be folded down to make it accurate.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Brontozaurus on May 23, 2014, 12:17:37 AM
I don't really have an issue with the Dinobots not being 100% accurate representations of the species they transform into. Like at first I thought it was a bit weird that Grimlock had horns and the pterosaur had two heads but it makes them unique and sets them apart from the other incarnations of the Dinobots that appear throughout the franchise.

If it helps anyone, the horns on the Grimlock toy I bought this week can be folded down to make it accurate.

I don't need a 100% accuracy I just want the " dragon "  elements removed. Dinos are cool enough on their own they shouldn't need to be monsters.

That's one plus then..might look into getting one .

Trisdino

From what ive heard, the two head thingy is not swoop, but rather, some other, new, transformer.

SpittersForEver

Quote from: Trisdino on May 23, 2014, 11:45:05 AM
From what ive heard, the two head thingy is not swoop, but rather, some other, new, transformer.

I don't watch transformers but I heard that from my cousins friend when I went to his house.

CityRaptor

According to the tfwiki, Bay wanted him to be Swoop, but Hasbro thought that he would be too much of a departure from previous Swoops due to having two heads.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 23, 2014, 02:19:46 AM
I don't need a 100% accuracy I just want the " dragon "  elements removed. Dinos are cool enough on their own they shouldn't need to be monsters.

While them being cool enough on their own is true, wouldn't that also remove their fire breath, which they had since G1?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

amargasaurus cazaui

they are not calling him Swoop, they are calling him Strafe. Oddly enough they chose to use Swoops original blue color even....I find that rather strange .
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

CityRaptor

Well, like I said he was meant to be Swoop. So it is not that odd.
Wanna see something odd? This guy:
A redeco of Cutthroat Windrazor, colored like Swoop, yet named Divebomb:
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 23, 2014, 01:10:57 PM
According to the tfwiki, Bay wanted him to be Swoop, but Hasbro thought that he would be too much of a departure from previous Swoops due to having two heads.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 23, 2014, 02:19:46 AM

While them being cool enough on their own is true, wouldn't that also remove their fire breath, which they had since G1?

That would be something they had originally and not something you see all the time either. I guess I'm being nit-picky but there are a lot of designs the various people have done of Grimlock that looked so much better to me.  I guess maybe they'll explain the horns and such in the film..if I'm really lucky maybe they'll go back to being more dino-like..lol that is if they aren't killed off by the end of the film. Bay did say once he didn't like the dinobots.. :/

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 23, 2014, 01:59:44 PM

The one thing I see wrong with that is the original swoop dinobot, was blue, not red.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

CityRaptor

In the cartoon.

Which looks like the Diacone version:

The toy released as Swoop had a lot more red:

So Divebomb is not a perfect match, but has  a very Swoop-ish colorscheme.
Oh no

Brontozaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 23, 2014, 01:59:44 PM

It's a reference to the original Marvel comic series. In it, Swoop used to be called Divebomb but a Decepticon defeated him and took his name.

[/transformersnerd]
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

amargasaurus cazaui

Well put Cityraptor, that was what I was getting at. I knew the Diaclone was blue and that was how the cartoon had depicted him, and I own an original generation one, that is still sealed in the bubble as well. (lucky me, perhaps the rarest dinobot made).
And since you are aware of that you also know swoop was not the only blue dinobot in the original diaclone set!!!

Hermes888

I'm just going to leave this right here:

Personally, I hope that Age of Extinction refers to the extinction of this movie series.

brandem

Yes yes at some point we all hope michael bay will stop dragging our childhood through the mud mutilating classic characters with military fetishism and racist humor but at least Shia labeouf is gone right?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brandem on May 26, 2014, 05:59:47 PM
Yes yes at some point we all hope michael bay will stop dragging our childhood through the mud mutilating classic characters with military fetishism and racist humor but at least Shia labeouf is gone right?
Don't forget the explosions.

And of course, his company has gotten their hands on the TMNT franchise and have already signed on for three movies...

amargasaurus cazaui

There is a flip side to the negative comments here. I was around when the original series was introduced...I was 20 in 1984 and my kid brother was nine. We used to sit and play and watch transformers together as a form of bonding, and sharing something together. I myself developed a love for the early characters, toys and the originals. Then as with most good things, the toys and cartoons began to drop in popularity. For the purists like myself that knew the original generation one figures, it has been somewhat ......challenging to watch the various contortions the toys have gone through. Machine wars? Beast wars? Beast Machines? R.I.D.?These toys began in the early eighties, with 1984 being generally recognized as their heyday. So in the late eighties we had a transformers movie...an animated cartoon. It was a theater movie, but was largely designed as an excuse for Hasboro to slaughter wholesale , the original metal and chrome transformers characters and replace them with die cast plastic toys that were much more profitable and easy to make. Gone was optimus, the dinobots, the gorgeous metal autobot cars, like wheeljack, sunstreaker, and Hound. In their place were offered plastic contraptions like Rodimus Prime, Hot rod, Kup and Blurr. The toys continued their decline from that point, and were never to hit their original vintage style and design ever again.
  The original fans watched and waited and waited and waited. From 1987 till 2007 we had no movies, cartoons that largely placed the characters as animals and beasts, or Japanese anime characters. Michael Bay changed all of that.
While I dislike alot of the things he has done with the franchise and characters, at least he kept them out of the beast wars, or anime style stories and took them back to being everyday vehicles and objects that transformed into huge robots, with good and evil battling for control. I did not care for the racist characters, and some of the storylines so far have been contorted and somewhat ...obvious. I do agree there are things that could be changed for sure. But at least he tried, and he made the movies where noone else had. He has also kept the franchise alive and popular since he took the reins in 2007. So some credit where due....yes , I am glad they changed lead actors, and are somewhat shifting the time and place for the storyline and adding new characters as well. Above all I am glad he took a stab at adding the dinobots to the storyline....again at least he tried.

Simon

Quote from: Hermes888 on May 26, 2014, 05:33:58 PM
I'm just going to leave this right here:

Personally, I hope that Age of Extinction refers to the extinction of this movie series.

I second that.  Of all of the abominable "lets-make-an-old-supehero-cartoon-into-a-live-action-film-because-we-are-so-braindead-in-hollywood-today-to-have-any-original-ideas" projects, this one has to be my least favorite (caveat - I have not watched most of the other ones.)  Special effects ultimately cannot save such a lame concept.

Simon

Any director who casts a guy named "Shia Labeouf(foon)" in a movie ought to be blacklisted.   ;D

Just imagine "Shia LaBeouf in - HIGH NOON"

There's a good reason why actors changed their names in the old days.

brandem

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 26, 2014, 06:26:07 PM
There is a flip side to the negative comments here...
See I can respect what you said right there, I was only old enough when g1 was in reruns for me enjoy the show not really be a fan, I really only got into it when beast wars was on and I loved it because it was fun enough and complex enough to hit me at the right age for me to really get it, and then when beast machines came on and delved into philosophies of balancing the machine(man) and the animal within us I stuck with it and really enjoyed it despite a noticeable decline in quality of the toys. So yes despite vehicles turning into robots being a better idea the beast era stuck with me because they treated little me like an adult and few other shows did.
On the michael bay era I suppose yes he is keeping the brand alive and making lots of money but I feel like he doesn't have any respect for the source material, he just wants to do his own thing and throws things like the dinobots in there because fans want them. I may be wrong, but I still dread the next good memory of mine he gets a hold of, put down the gundam wing michael!

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: brandem on May 26, 2014, 07:30:32 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 26, 2014, 06:26:07 PM
There is a flip side to the negative comments here...
See I can respect what you said right there, I was only old enough when g1 was in reruns for me enjoy the show not really be a fan, I really only got into it when beast wars was on and I loved it because it was fun enough and complex enough to hit me at the right age for me to really get it, and then when beast machines came on and delved into philosophies of balancing the machine(man) and the animal within us I stuck with it and really enjoyed it despite a noticeable decline in quality of the toys. So yes despite vehicles turning into robots being a better idea the beast era stuck with me because they treated little me like an adult and few other shows did.
On the michael bay era I suppose yes he is keeping the brand alive and making lots of money but I feel like he doesn't have any respect for the source material, he just wants to do his own thing and throws things like the dinobots in there because fans want them. I may be wrong, but I still dread the next good memory of mine he gets a hold of, put down the gundam wing michael!

beast wars was the best!
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: