News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

POLL: Best Movie Dragons?

Started by Yutyrannus, June 04, 2014, 01:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are the best movie dragons?

Smaug from The Hobbit trilogy
The dragon from Maleficent
Draco from Dragonheart
Saphira from Eragon
The dragon from Beowulf
The Hungarian Horntail from Harry Potter
The Ukrainian Ironbelly from Harry Potter
Dragons from Reign of Fire
Vermithrax Pejorative from Dragonslayer
Dragons from Game of Thrones
Kilgharrah from Merlin
Taro from Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
The Jabberwocky from Alice in Wonderland
Fell Beasts from The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Yutyrannus

I was curious what everyone thinks are the top three best movie dragons, so I'm starting this poll. I'm very interested to see what the results are.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Crackington

Good idea for a thread, but aren't you missing some classic dragons? Ray Harryhausen's take on this in the "7th Voyage of Sinbad" was pretty good, then's there Disneys "Sleeping Beauty" dragon and of course Donkey's girlfriend in "Shrek".

There were also some pretty neat dragons in the "Reign of Fire" film a few years back.

Could you expand the selection please?

brandem

And the dragon from dragonslayer, a classic

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Also missing Toothless from "How to Train Your Dragon". And though they're from a TV show, the dragons from "Game of Thrones" should probably count. There is also Smaug from the animated Hobbit movie, the dragon from "Pete's Dragon". You left a longer list of dragons out than included in the poll!

Patrx

brandem

Well if we add animated dragons we have to throw in haku from spirited away

Simon

When you talk of the greatest movie dragon of all time, the only argument is about the SECOND best dragon.

The hands-down-no-competition-at-all-winner:

The same film also gives us the greatest fantasy movie villain of all time, Sokurah the Magician (played by Torrin Thatcher):

Simon

This poll is RIDICULOUS without Harryhausen's dragon from the "Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" in the running.

Admin:  I respectfully suggest erasing the results, adding this dragon and then re-starting the thread.

I mean - would you do a poll about the greatest baseball player and leave Babe Ruth off the list of choices?  Or soccer players without having Pele as a choice?

Really?  Well then, THIS is what I think of this poll  ;)

Simon

Quote from: brandem on June 04, 2014, 11:40:03 PM

All of the movie dragons (except men in suits) are animated .... stop-motion was the coolest way to do it before CGI animation.  That said, we ought to be able to compare them, because the coolness and iconic factor, as well as special effect quality, are part of the mix.  Given that Harryhausen's 1958 dragon STILL looks cool today, you can imagine what it looked like to people when the movie first came out.

I repeat, without having it as one of the choices makes this poll meaningless .... unless this poll is actually about the best TALKING movie dragon, which generally is where I get off the bus ... never liked the concept ...

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Simon on June 05, 2014, 12:56:58 AM

All of the movie dragons (except men in suits) are animated .... stop-motion was the coolest way to do it before CGI animation.  That said, we ought to be able to compare them, because the coolness and iconic factor, as well as special effect quality, are part of the mix.  Given that Harryhausen's 1958 dragon STILL looks cool today, you can imagine what it looked like to people when the movie first came out.

I repeat, without having it as one of the choices makes this poll meaningless .... unless this poll is actually about the best TALKING movie dragon, which generally is where I get off the bus ... never liked the concept ...
I don't think it's the best but I do see your point about how it looked cooler before CGI. I reset the poll.

How could you not like talking dragons? Dragons are supposed to talk. ???

brandem

I should specify dragons from animated movies

brandem

And the fire breathing lizard from Sinbad was the Taro right? It seems to be lacking the wings of the other dragons on the list does it count as a dragon if it had no wings?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: brandem on June 05, 2014, 02:17:07 AM
And the fire breathing lizard from Sinbad was the Taro right? It seems to be lacking the wings of the other dragons on the list does it count as a dragon if it had no wings?
It counts as a dragon, though he was never in a movie Glaurung didn't have wings.

Yutyrannus

Oh, and of course if we're talking about the best movie dragons, I have to post this ;):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiUOp9kN3b0

Simon

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 05, 2014, 01:30:37 AM

I don't think it's the best but I do see your point about how it looked cooler before CGI. I reset the poll.

How could you not like talking dragons? Dragons are supposed to talk. ???

HOORAY!!  (Off to vote)   ;D

Yutyrannus

Out of curiosity, what were you're other two choices?

Simon

C'mon oldtimers!  Stoneage?  Lets give some props to Ray Harryhausen here!  Taro will settle for nothing but #1!!!!!!!!!

Simon

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 05, 2014, 03:39:54 AM
Out of curiosity, what were you're other two choices?

Taro was my ONLY choice.   >:D

I am not a fan of dragons.  Except for THAT one.  This was my favorite movie as a kid, and is STILL my favorite fantasy movie. 

When it was re-released in theaters in 1976, I went and saw it 14 times, and learned it by HEART.  Then I wrote down the entire movie script, then went back to make sure I didn't forget anything.  I am pretty single-minded by nature.

One thing about that movie - in 1976 the color of the re-released film was PRISTINE - loud and absolutely GARISHLY TECHNICOLOR.  I hope that the anniversary DVD release has restored that color - the photos on the web are NOTHING like what the color in the movies actually looked like.  It was so-over-the-top that it reminded me of the "Electric Blue Technicolor" of the mid-1940s movie musicals....

brandem

Taro was a great creature in a great film but Vermithrax, done by ilm, was such a dragon in the classic sense as well(menacing, lone monster he/she even took virgin sacrifices) George rr Martin said it was the greatest dragon put to film and even got name dropped in the game of thrones tv series.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: