News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

POLL: Best Movie Dragons?

Started by Yutyrannus, June 04, 2014, 01:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are the best movie dragons?

Smaug from The Hobbit trilogy
The dragon from Maleficent
Draco from Dragonheart
Saphira from Eragon
The dragon from Beowulf
The Hungarian Horntail from Harry Potter
The Ukrainian Ironbelly from Harry Potter
Dragons from Reign of Fire
Vermithrax Pejorative from Dragonslayer
Dragons from Game of Thrones
Kilgharrah from Merlin
Taro from Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
The Jabberwocky from Alice in Wonderland
Fell Beasts from The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

SpittersForEver

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 07, 2014, 05:12:51 PM
I think the argument is over so this thread can go back to being a discussion about movie dragons. Also, is there anyone who still needs to vote or should I lock the poll?

Why lock it?

Yutyrannus

In case everyone was done voting, but I think I'll leave it the way it is a while longer.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Simon

The vote is too tight right now.  We need a clear winner.  1 vote separates the top 3.  Keep the voting open!!!!  ;) ;) ;)

Yutyrannus

Actually no votes separate the top two (which is fine, there can be a tie between two dragons), and 2 votes separate the third from the top two.

CityRaptor

Well, I voted for all three of these.

Also:
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

i picked the dragons from Reign of Fire. im sure the old timers picked Taro (tho i like it too)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: sauroid on June 09, 2014, 05:22:46 AM
i picked the dragons from Reign of Fire. im sure the old timers picked Taro (tho i like it too)
What were your other two choices (if you voted for any others)?

sauroid

well, i didnt know i had 3 choices. i'd have also picked Smaug and Vermithrax (or Taro).

btw, is there a technical term for wingless Dragons? is Landwyrm acceptable?

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Simon

*HARUMPH*

Looks like the race is pretty much over.  Smaug is of course an awesome CGI dragon, but the talking bit .... I just don't like it. 

Of course, its hard to go against Sean Connery as Draco, probably the only exception I'd make to not liking the talking bit, but then - its Sean Connery after all .... I guess I am dating myself - again   >:(

Yutyrannus

Quote from: sauroid on June 09, 2014, 07:22:42 AM
well, i didnt know i had 3 choices. i'd have also picked Smaug and Vermithrax (or Taro).

btw, is there a technical term for wingless Dragons? is Landwyrm acceptable?
I think there known as long-wyrms, not sure though.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Simon on June 09, 2014, 04:10:27 PM
*HARUMPH*

Looks like the race is pretty much over.  Smaug is of course an awesome CGI dragon, but the talking bit .... I just don't like it. 

Of course, its hard to go against Sean Connery as Draco, probably the only exception I'd make to not liking the talking bit, but then - its Sean Connery after all .... I guess I am dating myself - again   >:(
As I've said before, dragons are supposed to talk, they're supposed to have character, they should never be mindless monsters. That's why Smaug and Draco are the best picks.

Also, should I lock the poll now?

Gwangi

Here is a count down of the top 10 dragons from movie and TV from Watchmojo.com. Kind of lame that Smaug is number 1 despite this list being made BEFORE "The Desolation of Smaug" was released. Also...Taro didn't make this list, didn't even make a cameo (unlike Falcor).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8RZa62feQE

I have no real issue with talking dragons. Smaug was brilliantly created and well acted. "Skyrim" comes to mind too, the talking dragons in that game were some of the coolest dragons I've ever seen, but that is a video game. That said, I don't care if they don't talk, kind of indifferent either way.

Here is another list of top movie dragons. Don't really care for this one. http://screenrant.com/best-movie-dragons-characters-list/

Simon

Gwangi:  Well then, its a lame list.  Harryhausen's dragon was THE iconic film dragon for - nearly 40 years?  And now it doesn't make the list?

Reason:  Ignorance, and lack of appreciation of history by younger generations.  A fact of life sadly.

CityRaptor

Atleast that list has Ghidorah, as should have been. He was not even an option here, yet we got to vote for 2 Dragons from Harry Potter....
Oh no

brandem

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 09, 2014, 06:19:14 PM
As I've said before, dragons are supposed to talk, they're supposed to have character, they should never be mindless monsters. That's why Smaug and Draco are the best picks.

That's a little unfair dragons traditionally don't talk, unless they happen to be a particularly talented ones that can turn into a human and even then they don't always talk, dragons in myth are representative of the forces of nature or chaos, European dragons especially are an amalgamation of ancient dangers, snakes, bigs cats, birds of prey and fire, they don't need to be smarter than us the point is they are far more powerful than us and we tend to triumph over them.  Your idea of dragons is very much post Tolkien and highly mccaffrey inspired and while that's not a bad thing it's not really good to go around saying how imaginary things "should be."

A major paper of mine was the functionalist interpretation of dragons and other monsters in culture, so sorry if I also just took an imaginary creature too seriously heh.

Gwangi

Quote from: Simon on June 09, 2014, 06:58:15 PM
Gwangi:  Well then, its a lame list.  Harryhausen's dragon was THE iconic film dragon for - nearly 40 years?  And now it doesn't make the list?

Reason:  Ignorance, and lack of appreciation of history by younger generations.  A fact of life sadly.

Hey man, I agree with you. I didn't make the list, just posted it. I grew up watching "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" and Harryhausen films in general, I would replace the majority of dragons on both those lists with Taro. I never saw "Eragon" but to me, that dragon looks awful. I still need to see "Dragonslayer" though, something I hope to do tonight actually. I get pretty excited when there is an older movie in the fantasy/sci-fi/horror genres I haven't seen yet. This one looks good.

Gwangi

Quote from: brandem on June 09, 2014, 07:13:40 PM
A major paper of mine was the functionalist interpretation of dragons and other monsters in culture, so sorry if I also just took an imaginary creature too seriously heh.

I think a few of us in this thread have probably taken things here a bit too seriously. It is what typically happens when a group of geeky individuals get together and share their opinions on the things they're passionate about.

Patrx

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 09, 2014, 06:19:14 PM
Clearly, there are plenty of people that disagree with that sentiment. Anyway, "mindless monsters" are one thing, and nonspeaking animals are another. Though I enjoy the magical subset, my favorite dragons are the sort that are portrayed as animals with believable, natural behavior.

Simon

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 09, 2014, 07:07:45 PM
Atleast that list has Ghidorah, as should have been. He was not even an option here, yet we got to vote for 2 Dragons from Harry Potter....

King Ghidorah - a Dragon???!!!!???  Really?

Well then, so is Godzilla - at least he breathes fire instead of lightning bolts.

I won't even say anything about the propriety - or not - of including a "man-in-a-suit" in the list....

CityRaptor

Yes, a giant, golden three-headed Dragon! As opposed to Godzilla, who is a Dinosaur.  The crest of the House Targaryan also kind looks like him.

So yes, he is portrayed by a man in a suit ( actually it is a bit more complicated to operate him ), what about it?
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: