News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

fabricious' shapeways models

Started by fabricious, June 08, 2014, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabricious

I was toying around with the thought of making a printable kit out of one of my models, much like Andew Sides and David Krentz have done in the past. But I must admit: I have no clue how to do that, yet.

DinoLord

It could work well with larger pieces. It's hard to match the level of detail a resin piece has. Maybe contact Dan and see if he has any idea as to the process? After all he has commissioned quite a few digital sculpts for his line.

fabricious

Started to work a bit on the antagonist. The models for printing all had a closed mouth, so there was no need for either lower teeth or solving the problem of lip vs. no lip. Here I tried to incorporate a more 'feline' feeling, with the lower lip pointing downwards in order to avoid injury (much like on D. Krentz's T. rex model for Sideshow).

DinoLord

Interesting idea. I wonder if there are any extant examples of this in varanids or other lipped reptiles.

fabricious

Not that I can think of. But there also are no extant reptiles with lips that have teeth of this size, either. The only animals with large, pointy teeth are canids, hyenas, cats and bears, really (not counting crocodiles due to their lack of lips and different morphology of the jaw). I like the idea of adding lips to theropod dinosaurs, but a completely sealed mouth would, in my opinion, only work with animals that had relatively small teeth (due to the fact that if the animal for example tried to bite and grab prey, but missed it, the jaw could be closed with more force than desired and with closing lips, so injury of the lower part would be quite possible). But those are all just my personal thoughts on the whole topic, so others might still give me good examples of the opposite.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: fabricious on December 17, 2014, 11:04:04 PM
Started to work a bit on the antagonist. The models for printing all had a closed mouth, so there was no need for either lower teeth or solving the problem of lip vs. no lip. Here I tried to incorporate a more 'feline' feeling, with the lower lip pointing downwards in order to avoid injury (much like on D. Krentz's T. rex model for Sideshow).
Interestingly, I drew the lips almost exactly the same way in the Albertosaurus picture I drew a few months ago. Anyway, it looks really cool on your model.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tyrantqueen

Quote from: fabricious on December 17, 2014, 10:00:27 PM
I was toying around with the thought of making a printable kit out of one of my models, much like Andew Sides and David Krentz have done in the past. But I must admit: I have no clue how to do that, yet.
Count me in as a potential customer.

Zelan

So I ordered the walking and prone albertosaurus in 1/72 scale in black strong and flexible and they just arrived today. Just wanted to share how they turned out.

As you can see, most of the finer detail don't show up at all. The material also doesn't seem to photograph very well either. I can just barely make out the teeth and the eyes are basically gone. It also printed with a hole on the bottom for both, not quite sure why as neither seem to be hollow. Not really an issue for the prone version but might need to be filled in for the walking version to make it less noticeable. The level of detail between the two prints are basically the same so I just showed the better close up photos I took.

For whatever reason shapeways only made the strong flexible, frosted detail and frosted ultra detail materials available and there's a 3-4x difference in price between them. I think the frosted versions would have came out quite nicely but I just couldn't justify paying so much more for 1/72 scale.

Price aside, I would definitely recommend for anyone else to print this in frosted detail or ultra detail. The difference in detail between this and other models I have printed in ultra detail is like night and day.

I apologize if this came off sounding overly critical. I actually really like your work fabricious, it's just a shame that the detail you put into the model doesn't come through on the strong flexible material. I am actually satisfied with the results considering what I paid. I would also be very interested in seeing your models turned into resin kits.

fabricious

Thanks a lot, Zelan, for showing the prints and giving a review! It is much appreciated!

As for the BSF and WSF materials: from what I could gather, they sadly eat up a lot of detail. I am glad that at least the teeth are visible to at least some extend.

The model actually is hollow, at least that is the way I set it up. Maybe there is still some filler material inside that didn't get removed properly, the walls should only be a few millimeters thick. Otherwise I wouldn't know why they got printed without being hollow, to be honest.

Concerning the prizing: The value is calculated by the amount of material as well as the relation between material and the 'printing box' (the amount of space a model takes up in the printer), which might result in big differences between WSF/BSF and Frosted Detail materials.

I only made the model available in those few materials myself, if any other kinds of materials are desired, I will set them up as well. Thanks again for sharing, I am actually quite pleased with how they look!

Quote from: Yutyrannus on December 18, 2014, 03:56:47 AM
Interestingly, I drew the lips almost exactly the same way in the Albertosaurus picture I drew a few months ago. Anyway, it looks really cool on your model.

Oh? I have to look that up immediately, I'm kind of curious to see your rendition! Also, didn't we talk about that when I first made the Albertosaurus model? Maybe that's why I still had it in my head. :)

And for those of you interested in colors:

fabricious

@Yutyrannus: Hm, I can't seem to find your Albertosaurus drawing, would you be so nice and post a link here, please?

fabricious

Blade-of-the-Moon

fabricious

fabricious

Can't stop starting new things, haha.

Giraffatitan brancai, as mentioned earlier.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: fabricious on December 19, 2014, 10:09:44 AM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on December 18, 2014, 03:56:47 AM

Oh? I have to look that up immediately, I'm kind of curious to see your rendition! Also, didn't we talk about that when I first made the Albertosaurus model? Maybe that's why I still had it in my head. :)
I haven't actually finished it yet, I still have to draw the feathers and color it. Not being able to think of a color pattern is mainly why I still haven't finished it (I'm thinking of something based on some kinds of Arctic birds, not sure which ones though), I actually have a huge stack of pictures where I've finished the drawing but not colored it (the most recent being Palaeophis and Anurognathus) :)). I think that it will look cool when it is finished, tyrannosaurs and dromaeosaurs (especially my most recent Deinonychus) seem to be the groups of dinosaurs I am the best at drawing.

Actually, I think I did mention it then, if I recall correctly it was actually something you wrote about the lips on your Albertosaurus model when you were making it that made me want to draw it that way.

By the way, your colored Albertosaurus looks very cool :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

DinoLord

Awesome start to the Giraffatitan!

fabricious

Thanks guys!

The Giraffatitan will be quite the handful. And I should be careful not to start too many different armatures (I still have a Spinosaurus and a Tyrannosaurus that need more love...).

fabricious

I just created a new pose for the Pachyrhinosaurus, which I will try to turn into a 1/20 kit for shapeways. If there is enough interest, I'll most likely make him available in the usual 1/40 and 1/72 versions as well. He might be a good match for the 'evading' pose I did before (there's also a bit of variation in the new one, so they won't look alike).

tyrantqueen

Great, I will probably order it in a detail material if I can :)). I would love to see the Albertosaurus in kit form too, maybe one day in future. I need some fuzzy tyrannosaurs >:D

fabricious

If this one works out properly, I'll go ahead and apply the technique to the Alberto as well. ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: