News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

fabricious' shapeways models

Started by fabricious, June 08, 2014, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Reminds me of Shinzen's sitting Tyrannosaurus (which I also own, hehe >:D)

I like sitting theropods :)

spinosaurus1

Quote from: fabricious on January 07, 2015, 09:59:01 PM
Quote from: spinosaurus1 on January 07, 2015, 09:48:44 PM
there are so many models depicting tyrannosaurus being depicted in ferocious poses that show alot of aggression. perhaps it would be nice to see a tyrannosaurus just in a walking pose with it's jaws closed. even maybe have the neck turned to the side as if spotting something. if your making another tyrannosaurus, it could be a depiction of possible courting behavior, showing how submissive tyrannosaurs can be when it's that time of the season.

Good one as well! I already tried my hands at neutral poses with the Albertosaurus, but it definitely would be a stronger message with the T. rex! If I am going to make a male for her, I will also be making a different paintjob with colorful display patterns (on which I haven't decided yet).

perhaps just fluctuate the facial region in a bright shade of red, yellow, black and/ or orange. somewhat like broad head skinks. i always imagine large headed theropods using their heads like giant billboards when it comes to courtship. the overall body coloration could be essentially the same as the female(slightly more brighter perhaps) but start pulling off the sexy colors as you work on that massive head. :)

just an idea

fabricious

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on January 08, 2015, 01:18:53 AM
perhaps just fluctuate the facial region in a bright shade of red, yellow, black and/ or orange. somewhat like broad head skinks. i always imagine large headed theropods using their heads like giant billboards when it comes to courtship. the overall body coloration could be essentially the same as the female(slightly more brighter perhaps) but start pulling off the sexy colors as you work on that massive head. :)

just an idea

I would most likely do that, yes. Since the throat in the female already shows display colors, I would increase the saturation in that for the male as well as add some brighter colors in the face (especially around the eyes). What I'll try to avoid is an overly colorful animal with a bright red head (or similar colors), since I'd like to let it keep its hunting strategies (I imagine ambushing prey whilst looking like a big advert sign might be a bit counterproductive... ;) ).

DinoLord

Quote from: fabricious on January 08, 2015, 08:28:13 AMWhat I'll try to avoid is an overly colorful animal with a bright red head (or similar colors), since I'd like to let it keep its hunting strategies (I imagine ambushing prey whilst looking like a big advert sign might be a bit counterproductive... ;) ).

Good point there. Though IIRC at least part of Tyrannosaurus' range was populated mainly by deciduous trees. If the autumnal color changes were anything like they were in similar extant genera, perhaps a bright red head would not be too implausible (for part of the year at least).

fabricious

Alright, I think I'll stop posting this many WIP-images as well as painted sculptures in here, since this is supposed to be my shapeways thread (got kind of carried along, haha).

But here is the final pose for the T. rex that I'll be uploading onto shapeways today. Closed the mouth and am currently in the midst of preparing it for printing.

spinosaurus1

man, that thing looks like a beast even when it's not even displaying any aggression.

fabricious

edu

I love it! It looks like a real animal: just resting under the sun.

fabricious

Thank you!

I have just uploaded the 1/40 version. Sadly, shapeways now doesn't tell me if the walls are thick enough or not. I made the about the same thickness as in my Pachyrhinosaurus, so it should be fine, though.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3015321/?li=aeTabs

I will add better renders once I am not so sleepy any more.

Tallin

Thanks to being inspired by your incredible sculpts, I have finally committed myself to learning to model too! I'd like to thank you for giving me the motivation to get past my apprehension of scary complex software!

fabricious

Quote from: Tallin on January 09, 2015, 03:10:51 PM
Thanks to being inspired by your incredible sculpts, I have finally committed myself to learning to model too! I'd like to thank you for giving me the motivation to get past my apprehension of scary complex software!

Wow, thanks for the kind words! I am glad if I could inspire a fellow artist, this really means a lot to me! Good luck with your models! :)

amargasaurus cazaui

Gorgeous model...love the pose you chose !! I would buy it in a minute even though I tend not to collect theropods, but the shrink wrapped skull ruins it for me ...still a great model
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't think it's too "shrink wrapped" to be in-plausible.  The skull outline could be prominent due to boney growths or larger scales. I've seen that done a lot.

amargasaurus cazaui

It is heavily shrink wrapped...look at the front view where its looking head on at the camera angle...the skull shape is almost ceratopsian its so heavily boned. It forms a massive triangle almost like a croc skull .......highly visible with little muscle or flesh material....and then following that the nasal cavity and eye area are almost sunken into the orbits ......there is just not enough flesh nor muscle material for a massive chewing dinosaur present
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

fabricious

Just to settle this discussion: it is my personal view on plausible face integument. Unless there is good evidence against it (if anyone has papers about it on hand, I'd love to read up on it), I won't be changing this kind of reconstruction work. Since there is not really enough surface for attaching muscles on the outside of the skull, I don't see any reason not to depict them this way. Looking at iguanas, monitor lizards, crocodilians and even birds or prey, there are always boney ridges visible, due to the fact that they neither need to move eyebrows nor lips around, as mammals do.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: fabricious on January 09, 2015, 05:35:38 PM
Just to settle this discussion: it is my personal view on plausible face integument. Unless there is good evidence against it (if anyone has papers about it on hand, I'd love to read up on it), I won't be changing this kind of reconstruction work. Since there is not really enough surface for attaching muscles on the outside of the skull, I don't see any reason not to depict them this way. Looking at iguanas, monitor lizards, crocodilians and even birds or prey, there are always boney ridges visible, due to the fact that they neither need to move eyebrows nor lips around, as mammals do.
There is actually quite a bit of evidence in this matter...for instance glance up at the Shinzen model she posted and make note of the placement of optical muscles, jaw muscles and especaily the eye orbit bulge on top.....you can also view entire reconstructions of Sue that show there should be musculature in many of those places for the jaw muscles , eyes and even nasal. With the Shinzen notice there is some bone structure visible but not where there should me musculature. This makes all the difference......

fabricious

The shinzen model is only the oldest one of the Tyrannosaurus growth series, all the other animals from that would be considered shrink wrapped, then.

As I said, if you give me some authors and papers to read up on solid evidence about it, I'm all ears. So far you only stated it is 'unlikely', which I can't really just take for granted, to be quite honest.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: fabricious on January 09, 2015, 05:50:02 PM
The shinzen model is only the oldest one of the Tyrannosaurus growth series, all the other animals from that would be considered shrink wrapped, then.

As I said, if you give me some authors and papers to read up on solid evidence about it, I'm all ears. So far you only stated it is 'unlikely', which I can't really just take for granted, to be quite honest.
Dunno, she posted a SHinzen sculpt and right off you can see the difference I am referring to, regardless of growth or not. I will look and see what papers I can locate on the topic this evening if there are such...but I am curious why it would be taken for granted there is no musculature, no nerves, no form of tissue for the nasal, eye orbits or potential lips, cheek muscules, even structures within the nasal for breathing? Would you reconstruct all dinosaurs then without those features present? The cheeks would surely have muscles no? The nasal would require muscles wouldnt it? I am unsure how you can take facial structures and portray them as bare bone.....it just looks odd

fabricious

The cheek musculature is located on the inside, just as it is in modern day reptiles (as can be seen here: http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/open-mouth-iguana-patricia-blake.jpg ). As far as I know, there is no evidence for skin overlaying theropod cheeks (such as in modern day mammals), so there is also no need for outer musculature to move said cheek skin around. The nasal openings are filled in, so I don't really see a reason why they should be any different. Around that area, there is no ridge visible. In crocodiles you can see the boney outlines around the orbital opening, they are actually quite prominent, less so in my reconstruction here. The eyes have simple eyelids, because I highly doubt that a six ton animal would be communicating a lot through eye motion (although I do think that thought quite amusing). The antorbital fossa is covered in stretched skin, which naturally would be sitting tight on the bones beneath, if it didn't need to move around a lot (which, apparently, it doesn't, or otherwise other large reptiles would display such a feature as well, which they don't). The muscles for closing the jaw are located on the inside of these openings and not on the outside, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense making them visible from the outside (this is, in my opinion, a good example, found on Google: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m06mkhLR881qjc43g.jpg )

fabricious

Even in chameleons, who have extremely movable eyes, you still see a deep cavity between the eyes and the bones around them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: