News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

fabricious' shapeways models

Started by fabricious, June 08, 2014, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Large Theropods are neither Chameleons nor crocodiles and as such are made quite differently....here are some reference images.

Notice some of the commentary from the first image...about the eyes and the fenestrae in particular......

It isnt so much a question of how much bone , as how gaping the openings should appear...they should not .

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

fabricious

In the life drawing and the model you just posted, all the openings are visible, so I don't really get the point there. In the reconstruction of the head it is nice that there's a comment about it, but since I don't know who wrote it, I can't say anything about its credibility.

As I said before, there are rows of scutes along the edges of my models skull which are creating additional ridges (which, as I only just read, you dismissed earlier on in the discussion):

Since there are no large theropods around today, I can only look at their closest living relatives and use them as a guide, as well as my personal knowledge and understanding of anatomy. In such, from how I see it, we can only agree to disagree about this topic.

amargasaurus cazaui

I did wonder, looking at the art you posted...what do you suppose that area looks like when the dinosaur breathes in?Wouldnt that inflate the area in front of the eye blocking its view, in your restoration?In the second piece I posted notice how the eye sits above the nasal so when it inflates the dinosaur could see past it? or a more obvious one....in all four pieces I posted notice the massive back lower jaw area of muscle? I cannot tell for sure from your model....as the scutes on the lower jaw may be obscuring the muscle and it is actually there, but from underneath the jawbones look devoid of muscle attachments at all. I do fairly offer on the second item It could be beneath the scutes and I cannot tell for sure so if thats the case , makes good sense. It is things like this that make the dinosaur to me at least appear shrink wrapped in the face and perfectly sculpted otherwise. I do agree to disagree, I do offer it is a gorgeous model though. I have stopped purchasing collecta theropods for this same reason, they feel the need to make their faces and skulls similarly despite the rest of the dinosaur appearing wide hipped and well fed.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

fabricious

About the issue of the animal not seeing past the inflating musculature (which is a good point, since I modeled the parts in a relaxed posture), here is a total front view, which is sort of self explanatory:

The jaw muscle I added in, since this part was especially important to me. Here I roughly added in a sideview of a skull just to give you an idea:

amargasaurus cazaui

I can see the eyes and how they are sculpted might be close call but from the front it looks feasible at least. The ridge between the eye and nasal would seem more of an issue to seeing than perhaps the muscle that would inflate ....depending on the angle of the eye precisely. Close enough though I think....
Yeah I wondered about that lower jaw muscle...from the bottom view, you cant see it that well and it looks bonish without the musculature . I was not sure, and thanks for clearing that up for me...I did leave myself squirm room at least for that one though........lol

fabricious

I was thinking of how cats and canids about the way the animal looks. Seeing that they both are basically holding their snouts downwards a bit, that might be a plausible way of getting 'bothering' body parts out of the way, hehe. ;)

I must say, this discussion was quite interesting. Thanks for that!

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: fabricious on January 09, 2015, 07:25:15 PM
I was thinking of how cats and canids about the way the animal looks. Seeing that they both are basically holding their snouts downwards a bit, that might be a plausible way of getting 'bothering' body parts out of the way, hehe. ;)

I must say, this discussion was quite interesting. Thanks for that!
eh I hate theropods anyways, can you tell? Thats why I generally stick to my little basal dinosaurs and ceratopsians......those big guys are all teeth and debate topics.

fabricious

Haha, true that. Teeth, feathers and all of that stuff... I generally try to avoid those topics as best as I can. I'll need to delve deeper into ceratopsians, though. I love the big guns!

reinier zwanink

Any idea when it will be available?

fabricious

fabricious

I just managed to make the sitting Tyrannosaurus available in 1/72, I hope it works out while printing.

http://shpws.me/Il8O

fabricious

I just made the Giraffatitan brancai available in 1/72 over on shapeways, if anyone is interested.

http://shpws.me/IREg

tyrantqueen

Quote from: fabricious on July 05, 2015, 02:54:46 PM
I just made the Giraffatitan brancai available in 1/72 over on shapeways, if anyone is interested.

http://shpws.me/IREg
I am...but I intend to buy in frosted detail so I'll probably need to save up first 8)

fabricious

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 05, 2015, 03:26:48 PM
I am...but I intend to buy in frosted detail so I'll probably need to save up first 8)

Awesome! Once you do, please post some pictures of how it came through the printer. :)

reinier zwanink

I just checked it as well but it has a steep bill
Only good choice would be frosted
It also mentioned the color print
Cant find that option

ProSauropod

Will be ordering; but what would be the (double the price) premium that would make it worth ordering in frosted?  Is it surface finish, or details?  I intend to paint ......

tyrantqueen

Quote from: ProSauropod on July 05, 2015, 11:34:43 PM
Will be ordering; but what would be the (double the price) premium that would make it worth ordering in frosted?  Is it surface finish, or details?  I intend to paint ......
If you want to paint, a frosted finish is very much recommended. The differences are like night and day in my opinion (I'll probably get attacked for saying that but it is true).

reinier zwanink

Well i did order the tupuaxuara from shapeways (the grainy version)
And that one looks  . . . Well hairy
So that one thing i absolutly dont want on this one
But wasnt theee something like color printing?

fabricious

From what I can remember, color printing only works with sandstone. I can make the model available in the other strong and flexible materials with different colors, but no other materials, since I optimized it for the ones that are available now.

reinier zwanink

Ok
So painting it is then
MARTIN!! ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: