News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

fabricious' shapeways models

Started by fabricious, June 08, 2014, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabricious

Quote from: reinier zwanink on July 07, 2015, 05:26:43 AM
Ok
So painting it is then
MARTIN!! ;)

Martin's work makes every model infinitely better! ;)

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: fabricious on July 06, 2015, 11:42:38 PM
From what I can remember, color printing only works with sandstone. I can make the model available in the other strong and flexible materials with different colors, but no other materials, since I optimized it for the ones that are available now.

Soon they will have full color plastic printing! Right now it's in the Beta stage, but I think designers can test it.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Kayakasaurus

BTW free shipping this week! No promo required. Shapeways sent me an email.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

fabricious

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on July 07, 2015, 05:24:22 PM
BTW free shipping this week! No promo required. Shapeways sent me an email.

I got the mail as well! Now I am REALLY tempted...

fabricious

Long time no update from me (lots and lots of work, sadly), but if anyone is interested, I received a photo of one of my 1/72 Pachyrhinosaurus models in Frosted Ultra Detail!

fabricious

As promised, the Triceratops horridus male is now available in 1/72. I will prepare it for 1/40 soon!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/S44ZSRGEW/triceratops-horridus-male-1-72

fabricious

fabricious

For those interested in my models: I received a few photographs of my 1/49 Saurophaganax in Frosted Ultra Detail (primed grey to make everything more visible on a photograph) and got permission to share them with you. I think he came out great!

tyrantqueen

Yikes, £200 for a Triceratops printed in frosted detail :-[ Have you considered making resin pieces of your work? Maybe Daniel Liebman could hire you for his line :D

Saurophaganax is looking great.

fabricious

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 07, 2015, 09:14:02 PM
Yikes, £200 for a Triceratops printed in frosted detail :-[ Have you considered making resin pieces of your work? Maybe Daniel Liebman could hire you for his line :D

I agree, the pricing is a bit extreme. Apparently that has to do with the machine space taken up by the model, I usually try to make them hollow and the walls thin enough for everyone to be convenient.

I have considered making resin pieces, sadly it is very expensive to get prototypes printed in proper detail as well as making the silicone molds and stuff (something I can't really do at the moment).

Simon

Quote from: fabricious on October 08, 2015, 06:14:52 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 07, 2015, 09:14:02 PM

I agree, the pricing is a bit extreme. Apparently that has to do with the machine space taken up by the model, I usually try to make them hollow and the walls thin enough for everyone to be convenient.

I have considered making resin pieces, sadly it is very expensive to get prototypes printed in proper detail as well as making the silicone molds and stuff (something I can't really do at the moment).

If I remember correctly, when David Krentz made his resin master of his 1/40 roaring TRex through Shapeways a few years ago, it cost him something like $900.  He then had a mould made from that master and had casts made that sold for (at the time) about $100 apiece, which was about the going rate for a solid resin piece of that kind.  You can figure out that even if he sold 40-50 casts (about what a good mould will allow), he probably didn't make much money on it given the upfront expense.

This is why I asked Manuel to make the TRex and Spinosaurus from the Wrath of Goliaths game in 1/30 scale - since they had to be made of the cheaper material due to cost, I figured I would at least get a little better detail at the larger 1/30 scale, for a little more $$ than at a smaller scale like 1/40....

Simon

BTW that is an absolutely KILLER Allosaurus (er...Saurophaganax - same difference  ;))

And I say that even though I am firmly in the "visible toothy overbite" camp when it comes to the large theropod predators ...

pascosaur

your saurophaganax is indeed a masterpiece  and a must have along with the allosaurus by geene models.Tbut the Shapeway prices are now a bit extreme!!!...
Too bad I'd like to add your model to my collection but can't afford to buy it that price.
As someone said: what about a resin model?
Anyway you're very talented  Sir..
il faut continuer ce bon travail!.

fabricious

Quote from: Simon on October 08, 2015, 07:36:36 AM
BTW that is an absolutely KILLER Allosaurus (er...Saurophaganax - same difference  ;))

And I say that even though I am firmly in the "visible toothy overbite" camp when it comes to the large theropod predators ...

Thanks, Simon! Those words are greatly appreciated. ;)

And yes, it is a bit too much investment for me at the moment, mainly because as a poor paleobiology-student, you simply don't have much dollardollar on the side. ;)

Quote from: pascosaur on October 08, 2015, 09:12:06 AM
your saurophaganax is indeed a masterpiece  and a must have along with the allosaurus by geene models.Tbut the Shapeway prices are now a bit extreme!!!...
Too bad I'd like to add your model to my collection but can't afford to buy it that price.
As someone said: what about a resin model?
Anyway you're very talented  Sir..
il faut continuer ce bon travail!.

Thanks! I am quite saddened by the increase in prices over on shapeways, it kept me from getting any of my own models printed so far, sadly.

Tyrantqueen: I went and looked for a tutorial on how to split up a model for 3D-printing again, after your suggestion for the models. I remember the Amargasaurus-model and how it is the only one in 1/20 scale that's made of different parts so far. I will try to make at least one model available in 1/20 made out of more than one part. If there are any preferences amongst my already existing ones (or the ones in progress, Triceratops and Maiasaura), let me know.

fabricious

I am not sure if this one was asked for before (I think I recall someone asking about it in 1/40), but here is the available Albertosaurus sarcophagus, walking, in 1/40 scale:

http://shpws.me/D74i

tyrantqueen

Quote from: fabricious on October 08, 2015, 01:49:10 PM
I am not sure if this one was asked for before (I think I recall someone asking about it in 1/40), but here is the available Albertosaurus sarcophagus, walking, in 1/40 scale:

http://shpws.me/D74i
Do want :D I plan on purchasing this next week.

fabricious

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 08, 2015, 05:25:28 PM

I am planning on making some more tyrannosaurs for that scale as well, any preferences? ;)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: fabricious on October 08, 2015, 05:36:30 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 08, 2015, 05:25:28 PM

I am planning on making some more tyrannosaurs for that scale as well, any preferences? ;)
Daspletosaurus or a Yutyrannus. And thanks for asking :)

fabricious

fabricious

Alright, since the client who commissioned this piece never got back to me (or paid, for that matter), I have this model pretty much unused on my computer. Would you guys be interested if I uploaded it to shapeways? Any preferred size? There's not much else I can do with it other than make it available, so I thought I'd ask around.

I can/will alter the pose a bit, I think. So it doesn't look quite as curious, but stays in more of an embryonic-pose.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: