News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Battat, Terra series - New for 2014

Started by Takama, August 11, 2014, 10:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loru1588

To Emperor Dinobot: You cover the postage and I would be MORE than happy to sign any of the Battat toys I did the original sculpts for!!

loru1588

Doug Watson: Thanks for the well wishes! If the reboots are going to be priced the same as the Terra series, it certainly won't break the bank!!

loru1588

amargasaurus cazaui : Thanks for the kind words! I've been called worse. He's a kid and I'm sure I can explain to him any questions he may have.

loru1588

dinotoyforum: please feel free to use any of the photos I've posted on my Dinosaur Studio Facebook page for this forum. Thanks for the support!

Ikessauro

Quote from: loru1588 on August 12, 2014, 08:11:00 PM
Okay, Yutyrannus "massive failures" "highly inaccurate" in what way? Back up your statements please and I will be more than happy to explain my reasoning behind the sculpts.

Now, that I'd like to see. Don't get me wrong, but I too think this are way too harsh words written out of impulse. With every toy in here, every year, there's somebody who likes it and someone who doesn't. That's normal. But what I don't get it is how wrong can a figure be to deserve "highly inaccurate" and "massive failures" as adjectives.
I can't understand what do people really want! You do old school dinos, they are bad, you do modern dinos, not good enough, you put feathers on them, someone manages to nitpick some small detail

Oh, common' people, you gotta start to appreciate the toys for what they are. Cheap figures! After all, you can't expect someone to put so much detail and apply every possible hypothesis ever made about the animal in a single simple toy.

Maybe Yutyrannus should start making better dinosaur for us.

loru1588

loru1588

Simon : Thanks for the kind words! Yutyrannus is a child and acts on impulse. If has no patience at 13 he may have bigger problems than complaining about dinosaur toys. I am more than willing to hear him out explain my reasoning being my replicas.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: loru1588 on August 12, 2014, 08:11:00 PM
Okay, Yutyrannus "massive failures" "highly inaccurate" in what way? Back up your statements please and I will be more than happy to explain my reasoning behind the sculpts.
As for the first comment, I now realize that may have sounded a bit more harsh than I actually intended, also, that wasn't really referring to you exactly, actually you did quite a good job with the sculpts. I meant it more towards whoever advised the figures didn't really do the best job with saying how the feathers would be on the animal, for example the Gigantoraptor's wings. Anyway sorry if I caused offense :).

About the "highly inaccurate" bit, that was mainly referring to the therizinosaur (can't remember the name now) and the Gigantoraptor. As for the therizinosaur, it definitely should have feathers of one kind or another, climate and size would have little effect on whether an animal has feathers or not, ostriches being a case in point. Also, theropods could not pronate their wrists as depicted in the figure. And, though this may be a bit more personal preference, I think the neck should be a bit thicker. As for the Gigantoraptor the main problem is the wings, as pointed out by Patrx, they should grow from the second finger and completely hide the third, like this:
http://smnt2000.deviantart.com/art/Restore-Open-DinoWings-Final-Corrections-432393974

Also, great work on that Gastonia, I really like that particular one! One of the best figures I've seen in a while :). I hope to see more figures of this quality soon!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Patrx

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect toy dinosaurs to incorporate the most current accepted hypotheses about the taxa they represent. Kids learn from toys - we don't want kids thinking that dromaeosaurs may not have had wings or that plesiosaurs could have held their necks up like swans. On one hand, it makes sense to say they're just toys, but on the other, they're an opportunity to incorporate new, revolutionary ideas that kids' books and movies ignore. Education is what paleontology is all about, yes?

I don't think any of these sculpts qualify as failures; they're very good. I do spot a few missed opportunities, though.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Patrx on August 12, 2014, 08:37:09 PM
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect toy dinosaurs to incorporate the most current accepted hypotheses about the taxa they represent. Kids learn from toys - we don't want kids thinking that dromaeosaurs may not have had wings or that plesiosaurs could have held their necks up like swans. On one hand, it makes sense to say they're just toys, but on the other, they're an opportunity to incorporate new, revolutionary ideas that kids' books and movies ignore. Education is what paleontology is all about, yes?

I don't think any of these sculpts qualify as failures; they're very good. I do spot a few missed opportunities, though.
Precisely :).

Yutyrannus

Quote from: loru1588 on August 12, 2014, 08:28:16 PM
Simon : Thanks for the kind words! Yutyrannus is a child and acts on impulse. If has no patience at 13 he may have bigger problems than complaining about dinosaur toys. I am more than willing to hear him out explain my reasoning being my replicas.
Not really, it's just I get annoyed when any animals (prehistoric or otherwise) are shown inaccurately, for example Jurassic World, although there are more reasons than that to dislike that movie.

loru1588

Nanshiugosaurus: A 17 foot long, 13 foot tall, 1300 pound animal may not have had feathers due to it's size. You can't compare that to a 9 foot, 300 pound Ostrich. Paleontologists are on the cusp on this one and other large Therazinosaurs having feathers but have no problem with the smaller ones having them due to fossil evidence. As for the forelimbs " the only way for the palm to face the ground would have been by lateral splaying of the entire forelimb, as in a bird raising its wing", which is what I tried to accomplish on the left forearm of the Nanshiungosaurus. There are limits to the classic production of toys also, so some elements and artistic license have to be taken into account. As for the wings on Gigantoraptor The feathers would have to be over 2 feet long in real life to cover the arms the way velociraptor arms are depicted. Again, in my eyes ( and the opinion of the Paleontologists I spoke with ) not a thumbs up for the most part. After observing Crested Screechers and Hoatzin, which are smaller flighted birds, my decision was not to give a 15 foot tall feathered dinosaur full wings.Whereas the smaller Oviraptorids probably had full display wings. ALL my work is passed by paleontologists. As for the Gastonia, I have an message from Jim Kirkland who tells me it's the best reproduction of Gastonia he has seen! I'll take that to the bank. I hope I've helped answer your questions. We are still all entitled to our personal opinions, I just wanted to let you know that these aren't thrown together with no input from experts. Not all experts agree, so I have the final say in the outcome. Take care!!

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 12, 2014, 08:51:17 PM
Not really, it's just I get annoyed when any animals (prehistoric or otherwise) are shown inaccurately, for example Jurassic World, although there are more reasons than that to dislike that movie.

What are the other reasons, besides the nonexistasaurus rex?
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Quote from: loru1588 on August 12, 2014, 09:18:47 PM
Nanshiugosaurus: A 17 foot long, 13 foot tall, 1300 pound animal may not have had feathers due to it's size. You can't compare that to a 9 foot, 300 pound Ostrich. Paleontologists are on the cusp on this one and other large Therazinosaurs having feathers but have no problem with the smaller ones having them due to fossil evidence. As for the forelimbs " the only way for the palm to face the ground would have been by lateral splaying of the entire forelimb, as in a bird raising its wing", which is what I tried to accomplish on the left forearm of the Nanshiungosaurus. There are limits to the classic production of toys also, so some elements and artistic license have to be taken into account. As for the wings on Gigantoraptor The feathers would have to be over 2 feet long in real life to cover the arms the way velociraptor arms are depicted. Again, in my eyes ( and the opinion of the Paleontologists I spoke with ) not a thumbs up for the most part. After observing Crested Screechers and Hoatzin, which are smaller flighted birds, my decision was not to give a 15 foot tall feathered dinosaur full wings.Whereas the smaller Oviraptorids probably had full display wings. ALL my work is passed by paleontologists. As for the Gastonia, I have an message from Jim Kirkland who tells me it's the best reproduction of Gastonia he has seen! I'll take that to the bank. I hope I've helped answer your questions. We are still all entitled to our personal opinions, I just wanted to let you know that these aren't thrown together with no input from experts. Not all experts agree, so I have the final say in the outcome. Take care!!
Since feathers can cool a creature down unlike fur, size probably wouldn't effect it's plumage.

Even if the feathers aren't as long as in the picture, they were definitely attached the second finger rather than the wrist.

Yes, that Gastonia is great ;D!

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 12, 2014, 09:22:29 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 12, 2014, 08:51:17 PM

What are the other reasons, besides the nonexistasaurus rex?
Well, lack of feathers, inaccurate mosasaurs, the infamous fakeoraptor, mutated dinosaur, mutated dinosaur to keep people from getting bored in a park full of live dinosaurs, etc.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 12, 2014, 09:23:15 PM
Since feathers can cool a creature down unlike fur, size probably wouldn't effect it's plumage.

Even if the feathers aren't as long as in the picture, they were definitely attached the second finger rather than the wrist.

But walking around with ten foot feathers on your hands would cause some difficulties.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 12, 2014, 09:26:07 PM

But walking around with ten foot feathers on your hands would cause some difficulties.
Oh, no, don't start this again...

Patrx

Well, let it never be said that you didn't do the research, Dan! Your response is appreciated. That large dinosaurs would have reduced feathers is a notion held by many, including genuine paleontologists, but in the eyes of the others, it is a difficult position to support. In short, I'm simply repeating your point that there is some significant dissent in this area and lots of work still to be done to resolve the matter. I would like to join TQ in saying that I'd prefer not to begin a debate on that matter again.

It's good to hear that, from the sound of things, any smaller taxa made for this line will be more fully feathered :) But will they be at the same scale? A 1/40 Velociraptor is a tiny thing indeed!

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 12, 2014, 09:26:07 PM

No :o! Don't even start with that!

loru1588

Your opinion as opposed to the experts I spoke with on the Nanshiungosaurus feathers. The feathers on the Gigantoraptor start 1/4 of an inch on the 2nd digit, not at the wrist.

Thanks again!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: