News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Battat, Terra series - New for 2014

Started by Takama, August 11, 2014, 10:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultimatedinoking

Yutyrannus, tyrant queen.

For the sake of your sanity, I will refrain from starting the feather argument...for the moment.  :))
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

amargasaurus cazaui

I found it ironic that of all the points questioned , noone hit on the crested Gigantaraptor. I rememer having that debate on Facebook and I myself voted in favor of despite the current lack of actual fossils to support it, just because it makes sense to me
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Yutyrannus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 12, 2014, 10:14:36 PM
I found it ironic that of all the points questioned , noone hit on the crested Gigantaraptor. I rememer having that debate on Facebook and I myself voted in favor of despite the current lack of actual fossils to support it, just because it makes sense to me
That's because I don't find that unlikely, although the shape of the crest is sort of odd for a caenagnathid there's no evidence against that.

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 12, 2014, 09:43:52 PM

For the sake of your sanity, I will refrain from starting the feather argument...for the moment.  :))
Thank you ;)!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

loru1588

I spoke with several paleontologists about the crest. My thought was most of the other Oviraptorids have some sort of crest. males in particular, why not Gigantoraptor? So, until the skull is found ( other than little bits & pieces ) they said "go for it"! So, I did!

Patrx

I like the crest! Gigantoraptor always looks a bit odd without one, if you ask me.
Well, I just called the nearest Target, and I'm told they got the first set in yesterday. Guess where I'm going after work?  :D

jhudstone

I have to say this news is pretty much making my dinosaur figure collecting decade.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: loru1588 on August 12, 2014, 10:19:33 PM
I spoke with several paleontologists about the crest. My thought was most of the other Oviraptorids have some sort of crest. males in particular, why not Gigantoraptor? So, until the skull is found ( other than little bits & pieces ) they said "go for it"! So, I did!
Yep, that makes total sense. Also, was the Gastonia the last of the new figures?

Himmapaan

Quote from: jhudstone on August 12, 2014, 10:24:16 PM
I have to say this news is pretty much making my dinosaur figure collecting decade.
I'll say! :D

Alright, I'm hyperbolising a little, but it might as well be.  :))

EmperorDinobot

That which bothers me about Nanshiungosaurus is the fact that it IS Nanshiungosaurus. It is only known from a cervical series, a dorsal series and a pelvis. We don't know anything else about appendicular elements or ribs and so forth, and we can only infer those from other (coincidentally badly preserved) animals, so in the end, this figure ends up being a bit of a generic therizinosaur.

That is Jaime A Headden's Nanshiungosaurus reconstruction, which was done 10 years ago or so, but it still holds up. See how little there is to work with? And yet, it is enough to make a nice figure.

Nanshiungosaurus was also rather large, and I've always been on the side that large dinos don't need too much feathery integument, which is why I'm having such a hard time working on this T.rex drawing, wondering about fuzz or not, had to go with a bit of fuzz 'coz I didn't wanna get my butt kicked...

Yutyrannus

Actually, I think Nanshiungosaurus and Therizinosaurus are probably the same species. But I don't mind if others don't share that opinion.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 12, 2014, 09:43:52 PM

Thank you ;)!
[/quote]

Your welcome
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 12, 2014, 10:35:35 PM
Actually, I think Nanshiungosaurus and Therizinosaurus are probably the same species. But I don't mind if others don't share that opinion.

It is unreasonable to shrug off the possibility. I kind of agree AT the possibility that they may be both the same genus.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: loru1588 on August 12, 2014, 09:36:26 PM
Your opinion as opposed to the experts I spoke with on the Nanshiungosaurus feathers. The feathers on the Gigantoraptor start 1/4 of an inch on the 2nd digit, not at the wrist.

Thanks again!

Thank you for taking the time to explain your decisions, thought processes, and research on these figures. It is a wonderful opportunity for us all to be able to interact directly with you. I'm sure you won't take some of the more critical comments to heart - we can be a picky old bunch sometimes!  O:-)

EmperorDinobot

A picky, prickly bunch.

Anyone seen the pictures of the little boxes and how they turn into dioramas? That is absolutely brilliant.

Where will I find space for them? :(

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: loru1588 on August 12, 2014, 10:19:33 PM

I am glad you did Dan, to me it really gives the figure some character !
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

loru1588

@ dinotoyforum: As my Dad used to say to me " I've had worse said about me by better people!" Never a problem! Until we find an intact dinosaur with full body covering and in it's original colors, it's pretty much all speculation!
@ EmerorDinobot: Yeah, the box design is pretty neat!!

Invicta Hunter

Wow, lots of debating going on but im going to stay well clear of that, all i've got to say is I can't wait to get these figures.
It would be nice if they were sold in the UK but I guess im going to have to order them from the US...

Roselaar

Oh my, Battat is back and with new figures too?! Oh glorious day!! :)

Gonna score them all and then some if I get the chance.

Hynerpeton

The price is going to be $800 btw. I am friends with him on fb.
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

DinoToyForum

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: