News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Battat, Terra series - New for 2014

Started by Takama, August 11, 2014, 10:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

I don't know if I would call Battat the best line but they've been consistently good since the get go, unlike many other lines which start off with sub-par models (Safari, CollectA). Battat models also have a lot of character, you know them when you see them. Now there are a few I'm not fond of but that is less to do with the model itself and more with my personal tastes. I only own a few personally but I highly covet many of them. Their Triceratops, Dippy, T. rex, Parasaurolophus, Styracosaurus and many more are STILL the best models for those particular species IMO. That's really saying something given their age.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Simon on August 12, 2014, 05:58:14 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 11, 2014, 10:50:52 PM
Ooohh some people aren't going to be happy about this >:D I'm happy to hear it, even though I've had my fill of Battats for the time being.

OTOH, those who decided to liquidate their collections before the announcement are probably breathing a sigh of relief ....  ;)
indeed, although I kind of feel a bit bad about it with them being re-released now

DinoLord

I imagine they'll retain at least some of the value - I assume the reissues will have at least slightly different writing on the bellies (the technical term for that escapes me at the moment) in addition to the different color schemes. However, hopefully the prices will come down somewhat. I managed to attain all my current ones for very good prices, but the T. rex, Acrocanthosaurus, and Diplodocus have eluded me for years.

Gryphoceratops

Dan LoRusso is no doubt a great sculptor but the paintjob on these things is still less than stellar.  Am I a bad person for not being in love with them just like I wasn't a huge fan of the originals either? 

deanm

I'm still hoping for a Battat Pterosaur!  :) 

The new figures are gorgeous and they will seduce me & my wallet if they make it up to Target Canada...

deanm

I checked my local Target in Canada - no joy so far...

Heres to hoping that they will be on the Canadian Target shelves before Christmas

DinoLord

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on August 13, 2014, 03:56:53 AM
Dan LoRusso is no doubt a great sculptor but the paintjob on these things is still less than stellar.  Am I a bad person for not being in love with them just like I wasn't a huge fan of the originals either?

Nothing wrong with that at all. As much as I love the originals, I recognize the huge range of quality in the color schemes. Some such as the Ceratosaurus are brilliant, while others like the Tyrannosaurus are not so much. I see that again here - the Crylophosaurus is easily my favorite of the new ones, and it reminds me of the Ceratosaurus to a degree.

Patrx

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on August 13, 2014, 03:56:53 AM

I'm glad it isn't just me. I've got the Pachyrhinosaurus and the Dacentrurus in hand and an impulse to repaint them. I do hope that isn't, I dunno, blasphemy or something  :o They are excellent models!

DinoLord

Given how fairly priced and widely available they are (or will become) I don't think repainting them is sacrilegious at all.

Takama

Personally, I never thought I would ever get a chance to buy Battats at Retail Prices.

I read about the originals, but I never bothered on making a effort to obtain one. Now that I know there coming out again, im looking at all the photos that have been posted of them and just awing about what is to come.

I plan on Going to my Local Target to see if there available there yet (the one I got my Pachyrhinosaurus at was in Des Moines While I live in Fort Madison which is 4 hours away from that Target)

Im not sure if I want to get the Crylophosaurus or the  Therizinosaur if they do have em

Simon

Quote from: Patrx on August 13, 2014, 04:18:39 AM
I'm glad it isn't just me. I've got the Pachyrhinosaurus and the Dacentrurus in hand and an impulse to repaint them. I do hope that isn't, I dunno, blasphemy or something  :o They are excellent models!

The Pachyrhinosaur's paint job leaves a LOT to be desired.  The Dacentrus paint job I like in design, although as a rule I do not particularly like green on dinosaurs.

Hey - if you feel creative, buy 5 of each and paint each of them a different color - I'm sure Battat won't mind!

Battats hardly had the greatest paint jobs - some of the old ones had awful paint ups.  But there is a pattern there that makes them recognizable as Battats, so when you put them all on a shelf they sort of "go together".  Just like the sculpting patterns are similarly recognizable.  Then there is overall accuracy, which is still probably higher - ON AVERAGE - with Battat (considering ALL of their sculpts old and new) than any other company. 

So I find Battats pleasing to the eye for those reasons.

And that is why I have always rated them my favorite collection.

Hynerpeton

I just hope i can find some. :( you think its easy living in New York State? Well not when none of the wonderful toys are around.
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: predino on August 13, 2014, 04:48:26 AM
I just hope i can find some. :( you think its easy living in New York State? Well not when none of the wonderful toys are around.
I don't think anyone thinks that :)).

Anyway, I plan on checking Target within the next few days for the Cryolophosaurus and Gastonia.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Seijun

I really don't like the pachy's color scheme. I like the other sculpts but wish the theri and giga had been fully feathered or fuzzed. The Kent is ok, but head looks too big. The cryolo is my favorite.

I have almost all the originals and paid quite a lot for some, but I am still happy that the originals will be re-released. I plan to get them as long as the colors are different.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Simon

Quote from: Takama on August 13, 2014, 04:21:53 AM
Personally, I never thought I would ever get a chance to buy Battats at Retail Prices.

I read about the originals, but I never bothered on making a effort to obtain one. Now that I know there coming out again, im looking at all the photos that have been posted of them and just awing about what is to come.

I plan on Going to my Local Target to see if there available there yet (the one I got my Pachyrhinosaurus at was in Des Moines While I live in Fort Madison which is 4 hours away from that Target)

Im not sure if I want to get the Crylophosaurus or the  Therizinosaur if they do have em

Yeah - just holding the box in the store, turning it upside down to see "Battat" on the bottom - what a tingly feeling!  I got the original Battats online back in 2001, never seen any in a store.

Oh you will get the Therizinosaurus I can guarantee you that.  Its the most awesome Battat sculpt period.  Looks a lot better in the hand than in the photo.  Although smaller, I find it to be a better looking sculpt than the Collecta one (not counting the feathers one way or another - I don't play favorites there).  The big Collecta Theri kinda looks like its stuck in a weird pose - this one is quite natural....

The Cryolopholsaurus has that "Battat mid-size theropod look" (ie Carnotaurus, etc.)  Very well done and so much more lifelike than some other Cryos issued by some of the other companies (careful not to criticize anyone here - this thread is solely for Battat worship er... discussion!)

8)

Simon

This thread must have the record for quickest thread ever to get to 1000+ views and 100+ comments!

amanda

Isn't a Dacentrosaurus and not a Kentro? I I recall, didn't it have a larger head than more evolved stegos?

What I would like to know from Dan is whether these will ever be sold outside of Target somehow. I tried 3 different ones today with no sign of them at all, and Target on-line stores do not have them either. If not all stores have them, these could end up just as rare and sought after as the originals which makes me sad.

**pout**

EmperorDinobot

It's gonna be a good couple of years for us dinosaur lovers :) (which is, in turn, good for business!)

I wish my art had this kind of worship lol, Dan LoRusso is a lucky guy!

Simon

Dacentrus indeed had a larger head for its body than other Stegos based on a quick Google search.  This skeleton illustration displays proportions that look pretty similar to the Battat Terra sculpt:

EmperorDinobot

I believe Jaime A. Headden also did that Dacentrurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: