News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Battat, Terra series - New for 2014

Started by Takama, August 11, 2014, 10:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loru1588

Okay, you guys win! I suck! I came here to give this site a heads up on the work I'm doing and get input directly from you folks on what I may be creating in the future for both Battat series and I get greeted with less than constructive criticism and people questioning my choices of how I depict particular animals and told my color schemes look like a child with 1/2 a box of crayons. Nothing about dinosaurs is absolute!  These are my interpretations, like it or not. I have been through hell and back over the past 3 years due to medical issues and personally I don't need this shit! I am generally very thick skinned but it comes to a point when, I simply don't need negativity in my life any more. Don't like my work or how I represent certain dinosaurs, DON"T BUY THEM! I'm being told how to "correctly interpret " dinosaurs by high school kids and frustrated modelers. I do my research. Maybe the paleontologists I deal with don't agree with those you follow. As I said, nothing is absolute. So, when the new toys come out you won't be getting a heads up from me! In the words of Eric Cartman " Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

Takama

Quote from: loru1588 on September 06, 2014, 12:31:26 AM
Okay, you guys win! I suck! I came here to give this site a heads up on the work I'm doing and get input directly from you folks on what I may be creating in the future for both Battat series and I get greeted with less than constructive criticism and people questioning my choices of how I depict particular animals and told my color schemes look like a child with 1/2 a box of crayons. Nothing about dinosaurs is absolute!  These are my interpretations, like it or not. I have been through hell and back over the past 3 years due to medical issues and personally I don't need this shit! I am generally very thick skinned but it comes to a point when, I simply don't need negativity in my life any more. Don't like my work or how I represent certain dinosaurs, DON"T BUY THEM! I'm being told how to "correctly interpret " dinosaurs by high school kids and frustrated modelers. I do my research. Maybe the paleontologists I deal with don't agree with those you follow. As I said, nothing is absolute. So, when the new toys come out you won't be getting a heads up from me! In the words of Eric Cartman " Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

I am really sad to see this :'(.  I am speechless at what has happened.  I am relly shocked at how critical the whole forum has become in recent weeks, and as a result we lose a great man and his work that brings us the best dinosaur figures I ever seen. Yes the Nashiungosaurus in featherless, but I still like it the way it is, and because he explained the reasoning behind its baldness, I liked it even more.

I normally don't join in on debates, because im not as knowledgeable as most of the people here. but this has made me disappointed.

Chad

Dan, you keep making 'em and I'll keep buying 'em. I wish this thread had just been one of celebrations and fist pumps instead of an argument about feathering but what can you do? Thanks for taking as much time as you did to include us in the announcement and to help choose future dinos for production.

Takama

Quote from: Chad on September 06, 2014, 01:01:11 AM
Dan, you keep making 'em and I'll keep buying 'em. I wish this thread had just been one of celebrations and fist pumps instead of an argument about feathering but what can you do? Thanks for taking as much time as you did to include us in the announcement and to help choose future dinos for production.

agreed.  Im sorry to see you go Dan  :'(.  I will buy your Models(Toy ones) too.

JakobVicent

I am so grateful you took the time to join this forum and informed us on the new battat line. The dinosaurs are awesome love every single one. You are a great at what you do. I'm sorry people had to ruin it for you. It really is shameful, you sought after some helpful advice and it turned into a distasteful debate and attacks on your work. What has this forum come to?

DinoLord

Sorry to see you go Dan. It sucks that there's all this debate over your models but so is the nature of most any internet discussion board.  :-\

I personally think the Nanshiungosaurus is great and the general public agrees with me - it's the one that's always out of stock at whatever Target store I go to.

I think the level of research you do is great, and while everyone may not agree with you on certain choices the figures you've sculpted for the Battat and Terra lines are of a much higher caliber than most other mass-produced figures. I hope that you continue sculpting models as I and many others will definitely keep buying them - I've already bought over 30 of the Terras for various purposes (including trades and such).

stargatedalek

no one was meaning to criticize your choices or saying it was "wrong"
or at least I wasn't meaning to

sorry if thats how I came across

I figured the last few pages were discussing what would be considered "conservative", which (while most certainly off-topic) was not meant as an attack
as I said before, nothing is wrong with being a bit speculative ;)

stoneage

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 06, 2014, 02:05:28 AM
no one was meaning to criticize your choices or saying it was "wrong"
or at least I wasn't meaning to

sorry if thats how I came across

I figured the last few pages were discussing what would be considered "conservative", which (while most certainly off-topic) was not meant as an attack
as I said before, nothing is wrong with being a bit speculative ;)

Basically what you and others said over and over again was that for it not to have feathers was pretty much impossible.  It gets old hearing this over and over again.

Gwangi

Though I may criticize the choice to omit feathers on the model that is just my personal opinion, overall I loved the model and the lack of feathers didn't stop me from buying it. In fact, I even reviewed it for the blog and in that review stated it was the best therizinosaur to date. I don't know what else to say, this is the nature of message boards. The overall consensus here of your work is highly positive and I'm sorry you're letting the negative get in the way of seeing that. This forum has blown up with the announcement of your return, I've never seen it so hyped up in the several years I've been here. I really wish you wouldn't let " high school kids and frustrated modelers" drive you away from here. I'm sorry you feel the need to leave over this but art is subjective and people are going to have opinions about it. Especially on the subject of reconstructing extinct animals. I hope what I said was not the final nail in the coffin for you, I was making general statements about the issue. Driving away a person of immense talent was not my intention. I'm going to keep buying your models and reviewing them for the blog and I'm sure I'll sing their phrases once again.

Fukuiraptor

So sad to see this.  Dan has done a great job and made great figures for us!  People just need to learn to be grateful.

John

Between the idiotic and unbelievably arrogant responses to REBOR Studio and Dan LoRusso's choices of how he depicts certain dinosaurs even down to the color schemes he chooses...the increasingly obnoxious "experts" here have really caused this forum to go right down the toilet...
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Gwangi

Quote from: John on September 06, 2014, 03:51:40 AM
Between the idiotic and unbelievably arrogant responses to REBOR Studio and Dan LoRusso's choices of how he depicts certain dinosaurs even down to the color schemes he chooses...the increasingly obnoxious "experts" here have really caused this forum to go right down the toilet...

Does he choose the color schemes? I was under the impression that was a company decision. I could be wrong.

SBell

Personally, I don't think people are seeing the real problem--like Rebor, Dan wasn't really looking for validation from the forum. He was looking to re-introduce a much-loved lost series of dinos.

Instead, he got a bunch of nitpicking and criticism, even from people who were happy to see/have them. I am guessing that feedback from the professional scientists was more valuable to him, as he said.

Sad. yet one more company that won't engage with the forum. To say nothing of the experienced collectors that have faded off over time.

amanda

Normally I'd have not get involved. I suppose I shouldn't have, sorry. What bothered me I guess was not the criticism itself, just the words used to portray it. Constructive criticism is fine. Expressing your thoughts is fine. But why do we need to be using negative contexts, and ridiculing behavior to do so? Anyway, I regret having stirred the hornets nest, and am sorry for having caused trouble. I will go back to lurking now...:(

John

Quote from: Gwangi on September 06, 2014, 04:02:44 AM

Does he choose the color schemes? I was under the impression that was a company decision. I could be wrong.
I think they were his choices,but don't quote me on that though.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

amanda

Quote from: Gwangi on September 06, 2014, 04:02:44 AM

I get the impression it is him. Looking at his work, from resin models to life size museum restorations, the Battat color schemes are used every time. It is a distinctive style, I think we can agree on that.

ItsTwentyBelow

Wow.

I frequented this forum and blog years ago and some of you may remember me. While still passionate about paleontology and dino collecting, I've been busy building a career in field archaeology here in the Seattle area and haven't devoted time here lately. It's been awhile, and I'm sad to come out of retirement at such a time, but I just can't stand to see this happening and say nothing.

It amazes me that some of those responsible for the hurt feelings here are still beating the dead horse. Shame on you.

I still read the news here often, and was ecstatic upon hearing that the Battat line, a favorite from my 90s youth, would be resurrected and one of the same talented individuals would again be producing the models. It was probably one of the biggest and best surprises of the year for me. I literally ran to the nearest Target and had the Cryolophosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus in hand within a half hour of reading the exciting news here last month. I have since purchased the Dacentrurus and Nanshiungosaurus, and I am so happy with them all! I can't wait for the next two to be released!

Dan, please do not abandon this place completely. Most of the members here, I assure you, view your dinosaurs with amazement and awe. Our currently unfortunate friends in Europe can't wait for the day they will find your figures within easy reach. When I was a kid, I would seriously judge a museum by whether or not the gift shop carried the Battat line because of the level of quality. It's just a select few here that need to learn to show respect and gratitude for the wonderful work you do, and agree to disagree if they have differing thoughts. Your own talent and imagination matter most here. After having been without new Battat figures for too many years, I will enjoy seeing anything new from you that comes my way. Your choice of new species has been wonderful so far Dan!

For what it is worth, your figures are thoroughly enjoyed by this field archaeologist.

Come on everyone, hooray for Dan and his stunning paleoart!

John

Quote from: SBell on September 06, 2014, 04:05:15 AM
Personally, I don't think people are seeing the real problem--like Rebor, Dan wasn't really looking for validation from the forum. He was looking to re-introduce a much-loved lost series of dinos.

Instead, he got a bunch of nitpicking and criticism, even from people who were happy to see/have them. I am guessing that feedback from the professional scientists was more valuable to him, as he said.

Sad. yet one more company that won't engage with the forum. To say nothing of the experienced collectors that have faded off over time.
This is disappointing,but I don't blame them for not wanting to engage in this forum anymore.

John

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on September 06, 2014, 04:10:15 AM
Wow.

I frequented this forum and blog years ago and some of you may remember me. While still passionate about paleontology and dino collecting, I've been busy building a career in field archaeology here in the Seattle area and haven't devoted time here lately. It's been awhile, and I'm sad to come out of retirement at such a time, but I just can't stand to see this happening and say nothing.

It amazes me that some of those responsible for the hurt feelings here are still beating the dead horse. Shame on you.

I still read the news here often, and was ecstatic upon hearing that the Battat line, a favorite from my 90s youth, would be resurrected and the very same talented individual would again be producing the models. It was probably one of the biggest and best surprises of the year for me. I literally ran to the nearest Target and had the Cryolophosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus in hand within a half hour of reading the exciting news here last month. I have since purchased the Dacentrurus and Nanshiungosaurus, and I am so happy with them all! I can't wait for the next two to be released!

Dan, please do not abandon this place completely. Most of the members here, I assure you, view your dinosaurs with amazement and awe. Our currently unfortunate friends in Europe can't wait for the day they will find your figures within easy reach. When I was a kid, I would seriously judge a museum by whether or not the gift shop carried the Battat line because of your level of quality. It's just a select few here that need to learn to show respect and gratitude for the wonderful work you do, and agree to disagree if they have differing thoughts. Your own talent and imagination matter most here. After having been without new Battat figures for too many years, I will enjoy seeing anything new from you that comes my way. Your choice of new species has been wonderful so far Dan!

For what it is worth, your figures are thoroughly enjoyed by this field archaeologist.

Come on everyone, hooray for Dan and his stunning paleoart!
Yes,I'll second this!

Meso-Cenozoic

I think Dan had mentioned at one point that he was fairly pleased that they got "his" color schemes pretty close to what he had originally done. But if you check out his Facebook page, some of his actual prototypes have a little more colors to them (ex: the Dacentrurus). My guess is this project is so green in its conception that Battat is being very modest in their moneys being spent. They may be only allowing a minimum of color variations per piece. Just my guess.

Amanda, you said exactly what I was thinking. And probably wrote it much better than I could have. -- "What bothered me I guess was not the criticism itself, just the words used to portray it. Constructive criticism is fine. Expressing your thoughts is fine. But why do we need to be using negative contexts, and ridiculing behavior to do so?"

It was the announcement of the Battat line coming back that brought me back. I am sad to see this progression. I thank Dan LoRusso for the time he gave us and for resurrecting this historic line. I'm truly sorry about how he was treated here. I will continue to follow him and his progress on his Facebook page. As for myself still remaining here, I may just go back to lurking too.  :(

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: