News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Spinosaurus new look!

Started by SpartanSquat, August 14, 2014, 06:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

This Spinosaurus approach revolution thing is absolutely fantastic to follow! First the weird Deinocheirus, now Spinosaurus comes to focus! I love popular palaeontology!

ITdactyl

Thanks for sharing that geomodel pic.  With the legs fleshed out, Old Spino doesn't look so bad.  Oh, and as for the model being made 2010 and the actual papers being "shared" only this year, well, that's scientific publishing for us normal joes....

That said, I like the explanation forwarded by Scott Hartman.  It's not that there's something wrong with the idea/data being forwarded by the scientists.  It's the discrepancy between the reconstruction and the measurements/data on the paper itself.  Maybe the legs really were shorter, but not that much to make it an obligate quadruped.

amanda

Or, maybe the team did get it right. We'll have to wait and see. I find it...odd...to think that after years of toiling, preparation and study, the team made a simple error in measurement on one of the highest profile papers they are likely to release. If true, that just seems...sloppy.

Takama

I have a qustion regaurding spinosaurus kin.     Since we know that this dinosaur had weird proportions. Does this mean that othe spinosaurs are the same way?    Are going to have to start makeing baryonx and suchomimus look like this on future models?

DinoLord

Quote from: amanda on September 14, 2014, 10:03:06 PM
Or, maybe the team did get it right. We'll have to wait and see. I find it...odd...to think that after years of toiling, preparation and study, the team made a simple error in measurement on one of the highest profile papers they are likely to release. If true, that just seems...sloppy.

The criticism that has been going around is not with the published measurements in the paper but with a scaling error in the skeletal image that's been getting passed around in the media.

Balaur

Quote from: Takama on September 14, 2014, 10:11:37 PM
I have a qustion regaurding spinosaurus kin.     Since we know that this dinosaur had weird proportions. Does this mean that othe spinosaurs are the same way?    Are going to have to start makeing baryonx and suchomimus look like this on future models?
Probably not. Spinosaurus is just a highly specialized member of the group.

EmperorDinobot

If they are gonna do toys, then we gotta make sure Scott Hartman's reconstruction is the one they use.

Paleogene Pals

I would like to see a nice resin kit of the new reconstruction, maybe wallowing in water with a fish in its jaws?

amanda

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on September 15, 2014, 01:51:45 AM
If they are gonna do toys, then we gotta make sure Scott Hartman's reconstruction is the one they use.

We do??? How about a sprawled Spinio, croc-like. With a shark/fishy in it's mouth ala the Carnegie Icthyo/ammonite? I dunno how else to do it. Even if the longer legs WERE used, no way could a plastic toy with those proportions balance on two legs. An alternative would have to be found. I think it is too soon to be making new figures based on this. Even if started right this second it's likely be two years to production. A lot of revision can happen in two years.

I have no investment. While this is an interesting critter, I have always taken any reconstructions of it with a huge helping of salt given the actual solid remains available. So for me, it is more of an intellectual interesting in watching the process at work. As it were. :)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: amanda on September 14, 2014, 07:04:27 PM
But see, Spinosaurus models/toys/statues were never "accurate' since so much of the animal was conjecture and educated guesses based on other related species. Are any of you surprised the real animal could be far odder than that? One constant, one thing we know about any dinosaur is that we don't really "KNOW".....:)
Well said Amanda, I had said this for quite some time about Spinosaurus clear back in the original what was Spinosaurus thread.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amanda

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 15, 2014, 03:45:43 AM
Quote from: amanda on September 14, 2014, 07:04:27 PM
But see, Spinosaurus models/toys/statues were never "accurate' since so much of the animal was conjecture and educated guesses based on other related species. Are any of you surprised the real animal could be far odder than that? One constant, one thing we know about any dinosaur is that we don't really "KNOW".....:)
Well said Amanda, I had said this for quite some time about Spinosaurus clear back in the original what was Spinosaurus thread.

:D :D Thanks, I do have an occasional moment of clarity.....

stargatedalek

why?
its not by any means certain that Hartman's calculations are correct, and until he (or someone else) has a chance to give a second opinion on the remains themselves I'm going to stick with the official paper

DinoLord

Hartman simply scaled the skeletal according to the numbers published in the paper and some photographs of the material. He's made a second post]/url] explaining his logic.

Patrx

Quote from: amanda on September 15, 2014, 02:31:27 AM
How about a sprawled Spinio, croc-like. With a shark/fishy in it's mouth ala the Carnegie Icthyo/ammonite? I dunno how else to do it. Even if the longer legs WERE used, no way could a plastic toy with those proportions balance on two legs. An alternative would have to be found.
How about a base? The model could be in a swimming pose like the new skeletal mount, with a rod or something holding it up.

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 15, 2014, 06:20:25 PM
why?
its not by any means certain that Hartman's calculations are correct, and until he (or someone else) has a chance to give a second opinion on the remains themselves I'm going to stick with the official paper
Exactly. As Hartman pointed out in both his original and followup posts on the subject, he's got to work from photos, which is tricky. It seems wise to wait until more workers have had a chance to examine the new material and draw conclusions before rushing out a model or toy figure.

In any case, it's important not to get attached to any particular version of the animal, at least scientifically. It seems a lot of folks (elsewhere) online are happy to see Hartman's "correction" merely because it looks less "weird".

Gwangi

tyrantqueen

Patrx

Amazing stuff. Thanks for the links, Gwangi! Does anybody know when that episode of Nova will air?

Balaur

amanda

I doubt a swimming pose with base will happen as a toy. Companies don't tend to do that with even sharks/whales. A sprawling flopping is the closest you'll see. Resin and statues are open to it of course, but I suspect not toys. I can maybe see a CollectA new version, but I doubt Carnegie or Wild Safari will pending more thorough reviews of all this new stuff.

Patrx

Alas, you're right. At least, with regard to most western toy manufacturers. Favorite and Kaiyodo don't seem to have the same aversion to bases and support stands, though.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: