News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

T

Reconstructing soft anatomy

Started by Trisdino, August 14, 2014, 07:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 15, 2014, 05:17:59 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 15, 2014, 03:08:27 PM
I have been staying out of this fray mostly because I dont really have a dog in the race, but I would like to offer this concept at least from my own viewpoint. Often the inability or refusal to accept more updated reconstructions is based on cynicism and an understanding of how real science works.There is nothing we understand or know about dinosaurs that is set in stone, and as we find new evidence we have to constantly keep re-evaluating our thoughts and ideas based on that. Many of the ideas and theories that todays dinosaur fans are so totally certain of will be proven wrong given time and the right fossil discoveries. This is how paleontology as a science works. So many of us older people are reluctant to part with our ideas about dinosaurs for new and often not well proven ones that will in turn be cast aside with enough time and new discovery.
   A solid example of this would be many of the ideas that were presented in the "Dinosaur Heresies" which have since proven to be unlikely. While the concepts and ideas at the time had nearly every dinosaur fan chanting them from every blog and web site, once the actual science was given a thorough test it failed to meet the burden of proof.
   Naturally many people will say.....like what? What theories? The idea that all dinosaurs had to be warm blooded is a perfect example. We now know that approach creates as many problems as it solves. Were some dinosaurs warm blooded? That is almost a certainty, but not all were likely to have employed the same warm blooded stratgey as was initially considered likely. The science does not back the argument, however in the early nineties the idea was as popular as everyone trying to place feathers on everything from fish to ferns, today.
  I have had many people ask why Jurassic Park as a franchise annoys me so badly. i went to the first movie with high expectations and thinking I would see a dinosaur movie with incredibly accurate dinosaurs. Halfway through the film it began to be obvious the film was propaganda designed to support the warm blooded argument entirely in almost every scene. We were served up Tyrannosaurs hunting at night, and in pouring rain no less to underline the argument. We were given mist breathing, nose scenting raptors to further underline the argument. And if you still do not understand the point being driven home time after time, we are then served up rearing sneezing Brachiosaurus. In at least half the scenes of the first movie there is a double entendre being delivered to underline that argument. When I watch the film today it comes off very snarky and silly because of that ...given the place where we have taken the science since.
  A year or so ago i was part of a thread questioning how Stromer had reconstructed spinosaurus and I offered quite a few arguments against his reconstruction, and suggested he got it wrong. I was basically tarred and feathered for even suggesting that .
Sometimes it is good to question the evidence and gain a better understanding of what is and is not accurate. For myself anymore, rather than accept every cladogram or implied relationship, I try to find information within the fossils and the papers that supports the science or makes any other argument unlikely.

So, basically, your saying that tyrannosaurus shouldn't be shown as warm blooded? That it should move in slow motion out of its nest to bask in the sun, and never hunt in cool weather? That raptors having nasal spray is inaccurate, because they shouldn't be warm blooded?

Your saying that the whole point of jp is to drive home the idea that dinosaurs are warm blooded?

Lol....you seem rather good at telling me what I am saying without reading what I said. I did NOT say Tyrannosaurus should not be shown as warm blooded, that they should be shown in slow motion, etc. This kind of placing words in someones mouth is both annoying and insulting. Lets stick with what I did say instead.
As I previously stated, The original Jurassic park movie spent more than a moderate or necessary amount of time attempting to hammer home that dinosaurs were all warm blooded. To do so, many of the scenes were far too contrived and silly. In that context, the nighttime hunting in the rain by the Tyrannosaurus, the misting raptors that scented using their noses, and the sneezing brachiosaurus all as a total effect come off as being overkill and overloaded the film with this type of scene. That was what I said, and it is true. In this context, the movie did focus far more effort than necessary making this single point its agenda, yes. And the reason I stated why this makes the movie annoying for myself at least is because we now know much of it is speculative and that not all dinosaurs, (like Brachiosaurus) were likely warm blooded.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 15, 2014, 05:29:30 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 15, 2014, 05:19:25 PM
QuoteSo, basically, your saying that tyrannosaurus shouldn't be shown as warm blooded? That it should move in slow motion out of its nest to bask in the sun, and never hunt in cool weather? That raptors having nasal spray is inaccurate, because they shouldn't be warm blooded?
Did you actually read what he wrote? He didn't say that at all.

He says that some dinosaurs arnt warm blooded, then goes on about the jp tyrant hunting at night.
Okay. Yeah someone please move this argument to another thread, the Jurassic World one perhaps?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 15, 2014, 05:31:14 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 14, 2014, 10:02:38 PM
Nostrils in wrong place, Giraffititan head, and elephant feet. It is better as not being shrink-wrapped though.

NOTE: You should not trust Jurassic Park's depictions of any species.

What's wrong with jps T. rex?
Bald, pronated hands, and of course "his vision is based on movement", oh and you know the fact that it is permanently eating.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 15, 2014, 05:32:03 PM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 15, 2014, 05:17:59 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 15, 2014, 03:08:27 PM
I have been staying out of this fray mostly because I dont really have a dog in the race, but I would like to offer this concept at least from my own viewpoint. Often the inability or refusal to accept more updated reconstructions is based on cynicism and an understanding of how real science works.There is nothing we understand or know about dinosaurs that is set in stone, and as we find new evidence we have to constantly keep re-evaluating our thoughts and ideas based on that. Many of the ideas and theories that todays dinosaur fans are so totally certain of will be proven wrong given time and the right fossil discoveries. This is how paleontology as a science works. So many of us older people are reluctant to part with our ideas about dinosaurs for new and often not well proven ones that will in turn be cast aside with enough time and new discovery.
   A solid example of this would be many of the ideas that were presented in the "Dinosaur Heresies" which have since proven to be unlikely. While the concepts and ideas at the time had nearly every dinosaur fan chanting them from every blog and web site, once the actual science was given a thorough test it failed to meet the burden of proof.
   Naturally many people will say.....like what? What theories? The idea that all dinosaurs had to be warm blooded is a perfect example. We now know that approach creates as many problems as it solves. Were some dinosaurs warm blooded? That is almost a certainty, but not all were likely to have employed the same warm blooded stratgey as was initially considered likely. The science does not back the argument, however in the early nineties the idea was as popular as everyone trying to place feathers on everything from fish to ferns, today.
  I have had many people ask why Jurassic Park as a franchise annoys me so badly. i went to the first movie with high expectations and thinking I would see a dinosaur movie with incredibly accurate dinosaurs. Halfway through the film it began to be obvious the film was propaganda designed to support the warm blooded argument entirely in almost every scene. We were served up Tyrannosaurs hunting at night, and in pouring rain no less to underline the argument. We were given mist breathing, nose scenting raptors to further underline the argument. And if you still do not understand the point being driven home time after time, we are then served up rearing sneezing Brachiosaurus. In at least half the scenes of the first movie there is a double entendre being delivered to underline that argument. When I watch the film today it comes off very snarky and silly because of that ...given the place where we have taken the science since.
  A year or so ago i was part of a thread questioning how Stromer had reconstructed spinosaurus and I offered quite a few arguments against his reconstruction, and suggested he got it wrong. I was basically tarred and feathered for even suggesting that .
Sometimes it is good to question the evidence and gain a better understanding of what is and is not accurate. For myself anymore, rather than accept every cladogram or implied relationship, I try to find information within the fossils and the papers that supports the science or makes any other argument unlikely.

So, basically, your saying that tyrannosaurus shouldn't be shown as warm blooded? That it should move in slow motion out of its nest to bask in the sun, and never hunt in cool weather? That raptors having nasal spray is inaccurate, because they shouldn't be warm blooded?

Your saying that the whole point of jp is to drive home the idea that dinosaurs are warm blooded?

Lol....you seem rather good at telling me what I am saying without reading what I said. I did NOT say Tyrannosaurus should not be shown as warm blooded, that they should be shown in slow motion, etc. This kind of placing words in someones mouth is both annoying and insulting. Lets stick with what I did say instead.
As I previously stated, The original Jurassic park movie spent more than a moderate or necessary amount of time attempting to hammer home that dinosaurs were all warm blooded. To do so, many of the scenes were far too contrived and silly. In that context, the nighttime hunting in the rain by the Tyrannosaurus, the misting raptors that scented using their noses, and the sneezing brachiosaurus all as a total effect come off as being overkill and overloaded the film with this type of scene. That was what I said, and it is true. In this context, the movie did focus far more effort than necessary making this single point its agenda, yes. And the reason I stated why this makes the movie annoying for myself at least is because we now know much of it is speculative and that not all dinosaurs, (like Brachiosaurus) were likely warm blooded.

Sometimes you just have to hammer science into people's heads, i once spent forever telling someone that harvestmen are not spiders, and are not "the most toxic spider". He got all mad and left.

P.s. Brach was most likely warm blooded.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 15, 2014, 05:34:36 PM
Nostrils in wrong place, Giraffititan head, and elephant feet. It is better as not being shrink-wrapped though.

Bald, pronated hands, and of course "his vision is based on movement", oh and you know the fact that it is permanently eating.

No proof T. rex was feathered as an adult. I'm sick of hearing the whole theropods couldn't dribble stuff. That I agree with (frog vision). T. rex has a big body to fuel.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 15, 2014, 05:37:22 PM

No proof T. rex was feathered as an adult. I'm sick of hearing the whole theropods couldn't dribble stuff. That I agree with (frog vision). T. rex has a big body to fuel.
Yeah, don't even get into that. Anyone the permanent eating is still a huge issue, I mean what predator kills something, sees another creature, drops its already dead meal, and chases something else ;D! Besides, Tyrannosaurus and other large theropods likely spent most of their time sleeping.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 15, 2014, 05:40:50 PM

Yeah, don't even get into that. Anyone the permanent eating is still a huge issue, I mean what predator kills something, sees another creature, drops its already dead meal, and chases something else ;D! Besides, Tyrannosaurus and other large theropods likely spent most of their time sleeping.

Many animals go on killing sprees, foxes will kill every chicken if it gets into a "coop". Hyenas have been reported to kill large amounts of antelope, more than they could eat.  Don't go all yesterdays on me!

Besides, she ate the goat and the man. Those were just snacks, the jeeps the main course.
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 15, 2014, 05:53:22 PM

Many animals go on killing sprees, foxes will kill every chicken if it gets into a "coop". Hyenas have been reported to kill large amounts of antelope, more than they could eat.  Don't go all yesterdays on me!

Besides, she ate the goat and the man. Those were just snacks, the jeeps the main course.
What was All Yesterdays about what I said?

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 15, 2014, 05:55:09 PM

That after a small meal, theropods took naps.
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 15, 2014, 05:56:47 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 15, 2014, 05:55:09 PM

That after a small meal, theropods took naps.
Uh, of course they did, have you seen lions and other big cats?

tyrantqueen

QuoteMany animals go on killing sprees, foxes will kill every chicken if it gets into a "coop". Hyenas have been reported to kill large amounts of antelope, more than they could eat.  Don't go all yesterdays on me!

That's true. It's called surplus killing, it's been observed in many species. Animals have been known to kill for fun as well. For example when a housecat kills a bird and takes it into the house. The idea that humans are the only ones who hunt for amusement is just wrong.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 15, 2014, 06:05:38 PM
QuoteMany animals go on killing sprees, foxes will kill every chicken if it gets into a "coop". Hyenas have been reported to kill large amounts of antelope, more than they could eat.  Don't go all yesterdays on me!

That's true. It's called surplus killing, it's been observed in many species. Animals have been known to kill for fun as well. For example when a housecat kills a bird and takes it into the house. The idea that humans are the only ones who hunt for amusement is just wrong.

Thank you.
-UDK

Yutyrannus

I know other animals kill more than they eat, but they don't hunt endlessly. Seriously, the JP Rex never stops eating.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 15, 2014, 06:09:42 PM

I know other animals kill more than they eat, but they don't hunt endlessly. Seriously, the JP Rex never stops eating.

All she got to eat was a goat, man, and raptor. That's no roast triceratops.
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 15, 2014, 06:11:15 PM

Which leads me to another issue, why the Tyrannosaurus always after people.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 15, 2014, 06:12:07 PM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 15, 2014, 06:11:15 PM

Which leads me to another issue, why the Tyrannosaurus always after people.

Maybe she liked the taste of man? But then again, I've read that lions don't really like human. But who knows, she might have though they were tasty.
-UDK

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 15, 2014, 05:35:34 PM

Sometimes you just have to hammer science into people's heads... He got all mad and left.

See, you just proved to yourself why you should never "hammer science into people's heads". A respectful, patient, communicative approach is always more likely to lead to understanding and compromise, for both parties.

---

BTW, everyone, please keep on topic.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 15, 2014, 06:16:50 PM

Sometimes you just have to hammer science into people's heads... He got all mad and left.

See, you just proved to yourself why you should never "hammer science into people's heads". A respectful, patient, communicative approach is always more likely to lead to understanding and compromise, for both parties.

---

Thank you :).

Ultimatedinoking

-UDK

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 15, 2014, 06:18:52 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 15, 2014, 06:16:50 PM

---

Thank you :).

You should all know by now! C:-) It is a forum rule. When the rule is broken it creates unwanted work for us mods and makes the forum extremely messy. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: