You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JurassicGeek09

Quote from: Pilkington on March 08, 2016, 05:45:28 AM
I was out of town over the weekend and was on the lookout for the new Terra repaints, which I unfortunately did not find.  I did however come across a repaint Rex and ElTiante was correct about Battat fixing the toppling problem.  The newer version is cast in a stiffer plastic and it stands better then any of the original series 3 Rexes I've owned.  It also appears that the newer one is a whole new mold of the Battat Rex. 

The teeth are the most noticeable difference as they are now rounded and a bit cartoony. 

On the plus side they fixed all the mold errors that plagued the original and older repaint. 

Unfortunately some of the details on the newer model are a bit softer then the other one but it's not that bad.

Copyright information has been updated.

Something about the new one still seems a bit off to me, I can't put my finger on what it is, maybe I've just been looking at them for too long...

Sorry about the crappy busted up and sun faded original Rex, I couldn't find the stock one I have and the other one I own is customized, this one been sitting in my custom pile.

I'm glad they fixed it but I'm forced to wonder why they couldn't get it right the first time.

Edited, removed photos from post, too many.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

Lanthanotus

Thank you all for your answers, especially to Sim.

Will try to keep me updated with this thread so I can catch up when (or if) the other ones are released. Despite the "worldwide" catalogue, I've never seen any Battats sold here in Germany, not even by specialized vendors.

terrorchicken

Quote! I've also been known to stand in the toy aisle comparing multiples of the same item trying to find the one wit the best paint.

I do this all the time. If youre a doll collector its a necessity to make sure you get one with correct face paint and undamaged hair(dolls, especially from Mattel and Hasbro, have notorious factory paint & hair issues). Also Im female so maybe they just think I'm some kind of OCD mom.  :))

JurassicGeek09

Pilkington, you mentioned you couldn't quite figure what's off with the re-designed Battat Rex. I personally think it's the head. It looks stretched, horizontally; just a tad.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

Shuvuuia

I'm so close! A friend of mine spotted the Parasaurolophus in a Target near me. Inconveniently, it's the only target not train or bus accessible near me. He knows to grab it for me if he goes back there. And suspsy, I suppose this would be a northeastern US sighting for you, but probably a bit out of your range since I'm in Boston  :D

bigbear

Quote from: terrorchicken on March 08, 2016, 07:46:06 PM
Quote! I've also been known to stand in the toy aisle comparing multiples of the same item trying to find the one wit the best paint.

I do this all the time. If youre a doll collector its a necessity to make sure you get one with correct face paint and undamaged hair(dolls, especially from Mattel and Hasbro, have notorious factory paint & hair issues). Also Im female so maybe they just think I'm some kind of OCD mom.  :))

There's nothing wrong with sifting through the whole stock to find the best one! I do it all the time and my local toy store even puts the better ones aside for me sometimes... The difference between individual examples of the same figure is amazing and I guess it all comes down to how accurate and/or caring the painter is. I imagine that these are out-worker jobs, and it can't be easy to do a professional job in a house full of kids, for instance! The same goes for diecast too. I hate having tyres that are painted over the hub!

All in all though, it's eyes that really get my OCD tendencies twitching. I just HAVE to have a figure that has both eyes looking in the same direction!

ceratopsian

Quote from: bigbear on March 11, 2016, 02:57:53 PM

There's nothing wrong with sifting through the whole stock to find the best one! I do it all the time ....

Absolutely nothing wrong with it!  I too always do it, and not just with toys and models.  I do it with costume jewellery - and even books. I think it's just part of being a careful shopper (at least so I tell myself....)

terrorchicken

with the big toy companies, alot of the workers also probably deal in sweat shop like conditions. :( 
And sometmes its just lazy quality control. Ive seen dolls whose lip paint has smeared all over the box plastic. Dolls with 2 left or right hands are also common.  :P

getting back on topic, I checked my T-rex and I think he's the newer release, his teeth look peg-like. Bummer.

JurassicGeek09

I read the bottom of a Batta dinosaur box and noticed the company is based in Quebec. So then why the heck are the dinosaurs Target-exclusive?

Halichoeres

Quote from: JurassicGeek09 on March 12, 2016, 12:43:29 AM
I read the bottom of a Batta dinosaur box and noticed the company is based in Quebec. So then why the heck are the dinosaurs Target-exclusive?
The forum's Canadians might know more about this than I, but I think it went like this: 1) Target makes a deal with Battat to sell figures in all North American Target stores. 2) Target looks at its extremely unprofitable Canadian stores and decides to throw in the towel (they all closed by April 2015). 3) Battats continue to be released under the old deal, but there aren't any stores left in Canada to sell them in.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 12, 2016, 08:39:48 PM
The forum's Canadians might know more about this than I, but I think it went like this: 1) Target makes a deal with Battat to sell figures in all North American Target stores. 2) Target looks at its extremely unprofitable Canadian stores and decides to throw in the towel (they all closed by April 2015). 3) Battats continue to be released under the old deal, but there aren't any stores left in Canada to sell them in.
I wouldn't say they were unprofitable, Target just wasn't patient enough.

Battat had the exclusivity deal before Target Canada even happened too, so I think they just gave Battat the best offer.

Halichoeres

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 12, 2016, 09:33:56 PM

Battat had the exclusivity deal before Target Canada even happened too, so I think they just gave Battat the best offer.
Well, to the first point, maybe it's semantic, but according to this, Target's Canada division lost billions over its short life. Maybe they weren't patient enough for it to become profitable, but it's hard to characterize the time it did exist as anything other than unprofitable.

On the second point, I didn't know that; I assumed it was while Target was in both places. I guess in that case it just boils down to which is the bigger market. There are more people in California alone than there are in Canada, so if a US retailer wants to sell your stuff, you're probably gonna let them.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

deanm

Canadian perspective on Target.

Target made a series of very bad business decisions in their attempted move to Canada. 

They bought a store chain (to get 300-400 physical locations at once) and the associated leases on them - which was quite expensive. That meant their supply chain infrastructure had to be massive also - something they did not plan properly for.  When you went into their stores when they first opened in Canada they had all of the former stores merchandise (Zellers, Hudson Bay...) so Canadians felt cheated as they knew what Target US was like and the Canadian ones were not like that.

By the way Target Australia is a business success because they went in on a smaller scale and built up.

Halichoeres

Interesting, thanks for the additional info, Dean. I can see why that would be irritating--same old stuff in a new wrapper. That really does sound like a series of pretty disastrous decisions driven by haste.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 08, 2016, 01:27:06 PM
One sunday when I went out buying and the recent grouping of five had just hit my area, I was in a store and went over the end cap with my cart and loaded all the new ones up. I overheard a little boy telling his mom....look that old man took all the dinosaurs !!!

That is pretty funny  :)) :))
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

JurassicGeek09

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 12, 2016, 09:33:56 PM

Then I blame Battat for not being more discerning. Ugh. Oh well, here we are.

Fembrogon

Well, I can finally confirm that the latest "Battera's" are showing up in Illinois stores:

Naturally I bought all three.

Stegosaurus might be the first figure in the line I dislike a little. The paint job is fine, and the subtle details are great, but at the same time it looks sloppily sculpted, and badly shrink-wrapped.
Parasaurolophus and Euoplocephalus are bigger than I expected, which is a pleasant surprise. Para is terribly glossy, but beautiful nonetheless, and Euoplo is actually kind of cute being so heavy and dumpy.

Now for some fun joining the collection:

Dan's Dinosaur Dozen:

This is the first line I've seriously started collecting a full dinosaur line besides Safari ltd. Until recently, I barely had a collecting budget; but right about when I could start affording it, these extra-affordable figures began appearing in stores. I couldn't be a happier dino collector right now.  ;D

EarthboundEiniosaurus

You lucky duck! I live in Illinois as well and i've been searching for this trio for awhile, great find :D Hopefully this means they'll be coming to a store near me soon.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

suspsy

The Stegosaurus looks so crude compared to the rest of them.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

postsaurischian

Congrats to everyone who has been able to obtain these three new figures yet.
I hope I will be able to get them soon as well :-\.

Quote from: suspsy on March 21, 2016, 10:42:13 PM
The Stegosaurus looks so crude compared to the rest of them.

I got used to this somehow strange looking Stegosaurus with age ;D.
To me the most problematic one is that crawling quadrupedal Acrocanthosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: