News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

brontodocus' collection

Started by brontodocus, March 13, 2012, 02:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Nice new additions Brontodocus!  :D The new Brachi keeps looking even more stunning the more I see it!

tyrantqueen

Where'd you get the plastic stand thingy from?

brontodocus

Thanks, Zopteryx! :) The Carnegie Brachiosaurus may be a little smaller than most of us would have liked but it's definitely one of the best figures of the line.
Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 19, 2012, 12:37:20 AM
Where'd you get the plastic stand thingy from?

That's the plastic stand that came with the Invicta Ichthyosaurus and Blue Whale. :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

postsaurischian

Quote from: brontodocus on July 18, 2012, 03:32:32 PM
Safari Ltd. / The Carnegie Collection Brachiosaurus - one of the few representations of Brachiosaurus altithorax. :)

Finally the Carnegie Brachio hits Germany.
We're really slow this year (except for Papo). Even the Bullyland re-issues were available in the U.S. first!

I love it! ....... and placed it immediately next to the Wild Safari Apatosaurus - perfect :D!

brontodocus

Ah, thanks for reminding me, Helge! :) I tried this out, too and they really go together very well.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

brontodocus

This year's Bullyland ML dinosaurs:

Therizinosaurus. Yes, five toes... :-\

Frightened Spinosaurus. ;D

juju1305

Quote from: brontodocus on August 01, 2012, 07:47:23 PM

Therizinosaurus. Yes, five toes... :-\

couldn't get myself to buy these. Despite it's flaws, the therizinosaurs is somewhat a likeable figure.
But that spino...  :-\  >:(
It actually looks really good on this pic. I had some in my hands that looked just fugly. And the eyes were so messed up (yours actually has a decent paint job on the eyes). The posable jaw might seem like a good idea, but the execution is terrible. The result is miles away from what Papo (and even Schleich) delivered with figures with posable jaws. I really hope that Bullyland will come up with better figures next year.

brontodocus

Quote from: juju1305 on August 01, 2012, 10:10:32 PM
couldn't get myself to buy these. Despite it's flaws, the therizinosaurs is somewhat a likeable figure.
But that spino...  :-\ >:(
It actually looks really good on this pic. I had some in my hands that looked just fugly. And the eyes were so messed up (yours actually has a decent paint job on the eyes). The posable jaw might seem like a good idea, but the execution is terrible. The result is miles away from what Papo (and even Schleich) delivered with figures with posable jaws. I really hope that Bullyland will come up with better figures next year.
Actually I think the Therizinosaurus is more problematic than the Spinosaurus (although quite sympathic, yes) but probably the better executed sculpt. The jaw mechanisms we've seen in recent Bullyland ML figures (this is true also for Giganotosaurus and Dimetrodon) can never compete with Papo. I guess it's partially because their sculpts are always quite rough compared with their competitors and partially because Bullyland uses a different kind of plastic which is lighter and softer (and maybe doesn't allow the intricate details we see in Papo figures?). However, with a permanently closed mouth and a good repaint I guess it's possible to make something really attractive out of the Spinosaurus. :)

juju1305

Quote from: brontodocus on August 02, 2012, 10:02:20 PM
Actually I think the Therizinosaurus is more problematic than the Spinosaurus (although quite sympathic, yes) but probably the better executed sculpt. The jaw mechanisms we've seen in recent Bullyland ML figures (this is true also for Giganotosaurus and Dimetrodon) can never compete with Papo. I guess it's partially because their sculpts are always quite rough compared with their competitors and partially because Bullyland uses a different kind of plastic which is lighter and softer (and maybe doesn't allow the intricate details we see in Papo figures?). However, with a permanently closed mouth and a good repaint I guess it's possible to make something really attractive out of the Spinosaurus. :)

Totally agree, I think the job on the spinosaurus is pretty good. The body is fine, the proportions look ok, the choice of color is not necessarily the best, but is not a complete turndown, but that head! I think bullyland should forget the jaw mechanisms. Correct me if i'm wrong, but on the spinosaur, it's a different kind of plastic that has been used for the lawer jaw, isn't it? And on all figures I had in hand, it was incredibly loose. It's a bit better on the giganotosaurus and much better on the dimetrodon.

I think you're right about the material. It probably does not allow the same level of detail (though some figures such as their stegosaurus tend to contradict that)

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on August 02, 2012, 10:02:20 PM

I think so, the spino need a change of color and Bullyland should fix the eyes in all figures
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Fixing the eyes alone would earn it another star.

I wonder why no other company has thought to use realistic eyes like the Dino-Riders figures ?

brontodocus

Quote from: juju1305 on August 02, 2012, 11:29:20 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but on the spinosaur, it's a different kind of plastic that has been used for the lawer jaw, isn't it? And on all figures I had in hand, it was incredibly loose. It's a bit better on the giganotosaurus and much better on the dimetrodon.
The plastic of the lower jaw and of the throat insert seems to be somewhat different indeed, it's somewhat harder. Strangely, the jaw fits quite tightly in my figure and rather won't open much. But that was also true in another figure I've seen in a toy shop, recently.
Quote from: Jetoar on August 02, 2012, 11:57:58 PM
I think so, the spino need a change of color and Bullyland should fix the eyes in all figures
If the paint job was always like the one seen in the Therizinosaurus I'd be fine with it. But yes, mostly the eyes are problematic and I think the Spinosaurus is one of their sloppiest examples, that pupil is as large as the entire eye should be. Considering the work I've seen on other figures, often enough the person who has to paint the pupils on the eye was apparently shivering... ;D
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 03, 2012, 01:49:36 AM
I wonder why no other company has thought to use realistic eyes like the Dino-Riders figures ?
Sounds like a brilliant idea, Chris! :) At least for the bigger-eyed ones it's something one or the other company should try. 8)

Deux tyrannosaures de Papo / La Préhistoire
:) :

Could it be true that I had the original tripod Tyrannosaurus for over two years now without ever taking a photograph? :-[

pylraster

Thanks for the pictures Brontodocus. It really made me think about buying this Spinosaurus or not. And I think I will. The dentition, while very few, is much better than that of the new Schleich Spino with moveable jaw. That Schleich one seemed to have shells stuck to the side of its upper jaws. ^_^

And I agree with you that a repaint will improve the looks of this "frightened" Spino. Fortunately I heard Bullyland's paint is somewhat fragile, so that might be helpful this time around *gets some toothbrush and something to strip the paint with*.

Also how big is this Spino compared to the new Schleich one? Thanks!

brontodocus

Thanks, pylraster! :)
I cannot really compare it with the new Schleich Spinosaurus with moveable jaw since I've never seen it in person - I know it's smaller than its ReplicaSaurus predecessor but not how large it is exactly. Maybe this helps: The Bullyland ML Spinosaurus is similar in length to (but more gracile than) the Papo Spinosaurus, yet the latter is approx. 2 cm higher at the top of the sail.
Oh, by the way, I don't know whether stripping the paint off a Bullyland figure would really make it more convenient to repaint and I'm not sure if the easily flaking off paint is more due to the rather soft and waxy material Bullyland uses. I'd recommend asking if someone had success with it before. Or maybe someone here who had could tell us? The only Bullyland figure I've repainted was a heavily paint-rubbed Deinotherium but I've just cleaned it and then painted over it. :-\

juju1305

Quote from: pylraster on August 31, 2012, 03:26:44 AM

Thanks for the pictures Brontodocus. It really made me think about buying this Spinosaurus or not. And I think I will. The dentition, while very few, is much better than that of the new Schleich Spino with moveable jaw. That Schleich one seemed to have shells stuck to the side of its upper jaws. ^_^

And I agree with you that a repaint will improve the looks of this "frightened" Spino. Fortunately I heard Bullyland's paint is somewhat fragile, so that might be helpful this time around *gets some toothbrush and something to strip the paint with*.

Also how big is this Spino compared to the new Schleich one? Thanks!

The new Schleich spino is a really dull and inaccurate figure (and basically the same sculpt as the previous spino, but a smaller scale). It is a bit smaller than the Bullyland spino, but the difference between the two is less than 2cm (less than an inch)

ajax

I like the pose of this Spino but something is really wrong with it? Is the head too short or something? Body looks good.

pylraster

Well then it seems fairly large enough to stand out on the shelf. Not really a fan of those yellow mascaras or whatever they are called. Being relatively cheaper than the other brands Spinos, I think I won't have regrets painting over it.

tyrantqueen

QuoteWell then it seems fairly large enough to stand out on the shelf. Not really a fan of those yellow mascaras or whatever they are called. Being relatively cheaper than the other brands Spinos, I think I won't have regrets painting over it.
You mean sclera?  ;D ;D ;D

brontodocus

Quote from: ajax on September 01, 2012, 01:57:10 AM
I like the pose of this Spino but something is really wrong with it? Is the head too short or something? Body looks good.
The head is definitely not as gracile as the Carnegie Spinosaurus' but the snout's proportions are definitely better than the Schleich or Papo versions. I especially like the lower jaw with its throat pouch and the slightly upturned tip fitting into the "kink" between the premaxillary and maxillary.
Quote from: pylraster on September 01, 2012, 05:48:41 AM
Not really a fan of those yellow mascaras or whatever they are called. Being relatively cheaper than the other brands Spinos, I think I won't have regrets painting over it.
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 01, 2012, 12:07:54 PM
You mean sclera?  ;D ;D ;D
From the sculpt alone it's clear that the eyeball should have been little more than what has been painted entirely black here. Obviously, most of what has been painted yellow to make it look like a sclera was originally intended to be the lower eyelid. Should be an easy fix. :)

tyrantqueen

The more I look at the Spino the more I think those big yellow eyes make it look like a frog :X

It would be interesting to see what a better paintjob could do for this figure... :-\

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: