News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

brontodocus' collection

Started by brontodocus, March 13, 2012, 02:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

The shape and musculature of the front legs and the area where the neck meets the chest just looks really weird to me.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Coke

I love it! I really love it! It's awesome  ^-^

Takama

So it is the same size of the InvictA

brontodocus

Thanks all! :)
Quote from: postsaurischian on October 23, 2012, 04:58:13 PM
Who said it wasn't going to be in 1:40 >:( ;D ?
Thanks for the comparison shot.
The old Carnegie model still holds the height record :) . Who would have thought so in 1988?
Hehe, or did they make the neck that perpendicular to prevent other manufacturers from surpassing it? ;D
Quote from: Seijun on October 23, 2012, 08:31:26 PM
The shape and musculature of the front legs and the area where the neck meets the chest just looks really weird to me.
Well, at least partially this may be due to the neck being a separate part that was apparently glued onto the body prior to painting. While I have no problems with it the gap is admittedly more conspicuous than in the other Papo dinosaurs. It should also be noted that the hands are pronated and the palm isn't c-shaped - and there are four ungual bearing digits on each hand and foot. But that's no surprise, of course.
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 23, 2012, 08:18:28 PM
I love it ! Really detailed, big and hefty just the way sauropods should be ! ;D
Yes, it is! :) Although in comparison with your Dinoland Brachiosaurus it will look a little like a half grown Europasaurus holgeri. ;D
Quote from: Takama on October 24, 2012, 01:07:48 AM
So it is the same size of the InvictA
It's actually a little more than 1 cm taller (301 mm vs. 288) and more massive albeit a little shorter due to its shorter tail. It's very similar in size and bulk to the Schleich ReplicaSaurus. :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Blade-of-the-Moon

lol I'll try my best to not compare it with the monster that is the Kaiyodo vinyl Brachio.. ;D

Patrx

I gotta say I agree with Seijun on this one; I think I'll be skipping this figure. The current Carnegie version is enough brachiosaur for my collection for now; and, I think, much better-looking despite it's, er, festive coloration.

tanystropheus

The Papo Brachiosaurus appears to be one of the more majestic Brachiosaurus renditions in the market. It seems to tower over the Carnegie Brachiosaurus. I have 2 Schleich Brachiosaurus, so this will be an apparent step up for me.

I also think they captured the jovial depiction of Brachiosaurus from JP, complete with the blunted nose, and somewhat rounded face/demeanor.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/dinosaurs/images/7/78/1085840260.jpg
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/059/5/4/jurassic_park_brachiosaurus_2_by_yankeetrex-d4r9cxv.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljo8shKWHn1qeve6qo1_500.jpg

ZoPteryx

What a mighty figure, but for my taste it doesn't surpass the new Carnegie.  Although I must admit, with it size and detail, it is tempting! :))

brontodocus

Quote from: Pixelboy on October 24, 2012, 12:30:56 PM
I gotta say I agree with Seijun on this one; I think I'll be skipping this figure. The current Carnegie version is enough brachiosaur for my collection for now; and, I think, much better-looking despite it's, er, festive coloration.
Apparently the colouration of the new Carnegie Brachiosaurus is based on an illustration by Luis Rey (although that one did not have the extended red colour on the whole body, just on the head), so it's no wonder it's a little gaudy! :) Of course you can't go wrong with that one since it represents the current state of research so well.
Quote from: tanystropheus on October 24, 2012, 08:24:50 PM
I also think they captured the jovial depiction of Brachiosaurus from JP, complete with the blunted nose, and somewhat rounded face/demeanor.
Yes, it appears very much JP inspired of course and it has the same wide and short snout as the Horizon vinyl kit! :)
Quote from: Zopteryx on October 24, 2012, 09:26:28 PM
What a mighty figure, but for my taste it doesn't surpass the new Carnegie.  Although I must admit, with it size and detail, it is tempting! :))
It's difficult to compare these two since they are such a completely different approach. So it really is a matter of taste in the end (well, that's a bit redundant, it always is ;D ). I cannot decide which one I like best, the 2012 Carnegie, the Invicta, and the new Papo - they are all awesome for me but for very different reasons. :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Seijun

The papo brachi is, I think, the best JP brachi toy around, but what bothers me about the neck is how thick it is where it meets the chest. This seems to match up better with the JP III brachi, but I prefer the neck of the original JP brachi.

Regarding the front legs, IMO they are much too "muscled" looking for a large herbivore. It looks like the person who sculpted it was using a WWF wrestler's arms as reference! I have a very hard time believing their muscles were that ripped looking in real life, considering brachiosaurus probably spent most of its time standing still and eating, or moving slowly from place to place, not tearing around the Jurassic landscape like a race horse on steroids.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

brontodocus

That is all true, but it's a Papo nonetheless. :) It fits well into their design scheme of dinosaur figures showing that much of defined musculature together with other strongly pronounced details like scapulocoracoids, ribs or tendons without caring too much about how these work (which is why it seems here that neck tendons are attached to the scapulocoracoid) or if the proportions are correct or not.
WWF wrestler's arms? This reminds me of... To be the brach, you gotta beat the brach! Wooooooo! Ahem, sorry, I had to do it. ;D

Bokisaurus

Takama

Ok here is a Qustion i always had when i seen the Brachio back in December 2011.

Is it Hollow, or solid?

Himmapaan

Quote from: Takama on October 25, 2012, 09:19:44 PM
Ok here is a Qustion i always had when i seen the Brachio back in December 2011...
When you saw, Nathan. Saw;D :))

Forgive me, I am losing my mind at the moment and apparently also my restraint. Please just humour a grammatical tyrant.  :-[ :))

Um, but back to Andre's thread!

Quote from: brontodocus on October 24, 2012, 09:41:43 PM
...it really is a matter of taste in the end (well, that's a bit redundant, it always is ;D ). I cannot decide which one I like best, the 2012 Carnegie, the Invicta, and the new Papo - they are all awesome for me but for very different reasons. :)
I don't think I could have put it better than that!

Takama

Quote from: Himmapaan on October 25, 2012, 11:51:50 PM
Ok here is a Qustion i always had when i seen the Brachio back in December 2011...

Forgive me, I am losing my mind at the moment and apparently also my restraint. Please just humour a grammatical tyrant.  :-[ :))

Thanks Chief of Grammar Police

Gwangi

Quote from: Himmapaan on October 25, 2012, 11:51:50 PM

According to your signature your retired aren't you? See what I did there?  ;)

Himmapaan

Quote from: Gwangi on October 26, 2012, 12:59:19 AM

Which is why you've never seen me call anyone out on their grammar here before now. But one's monsters get reawakened now and then. And it is Halloween, after all. >:D (Yes, I saw what you did, but I'll let it pass.  ;D)

(My apologies, Andre!)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Himmapaan on October 26, 2012, 08:26:47 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on October 26, 2012, 12:59:19 AM

Which is why you've never seen me call anyone out on their grammar here before now. But one's monsters get reawakened now and then. And it is Halloween, after all. >:D (Yes, I saw what you did, but I'll let it pass.  ;D)

(My apologies, Andre!)
I think you're being insensitive >:( Not everyone finds spelling easy, how do you know Takama isn't dyslexic or something like that?

Brontodocus, the Papo Brachiosaurus is nice. I appreciate the comparison shots with other Brachio toys.

brontodocus

And now for something completely different... ;)
Ok here is a Qustion i always had when i seen the Brachio back in December 2011.

Is it Hollow, or solid?
That's actually a good question, Takama, but it's not easy to answer. :-\ You might say, of course it's easy, just get out your jig saw... >:D - well, no, I won't. ;D
At least it doesn't sound hollow when I knock on its belly. The weight of mine is 886 g which appears less than expected from its bulkiness at first. For comparison, the weights of my other brachiosaur figures are old Carnegie - 1039 and 1318 g (two different sized versions), new Carnegie - 505 g, Bullyland MuseumLine - 512 g (but Bullyland uses a lightweight plastic), Schleich ReplicaSaurus - 1033 g, Invicta - 681 g. The Papo is within the weight range of the others so it's probably massive, I guess a hollow figure would be significantly less.

Libraraptor

The post above reminds me of the "Dino toy weight competition" thread somewhere in the labyrinth of V.1 ;-)
I WILL go fot Papo Brachiosaurus, that´s for sure, because I really like it. Maybe Santa Claus loves me?!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: