News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Who could say? Someone here might even own one or two of them but I find that unlikely. Good to know that at least from your shop some of these old toys get a second (or third or forth) home.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on December 04, 2014, 05:47:53 PM
Who could say? Someone here might even own one or two of them but I find that unlikely. Good to know that at least from your shop some of these old toys get a second (or third or forth) home.

lol true!  We always take in any refugees from closets, attics, toyboxes and sandboxes..now those take some rehabilitation.. ;D

Bokisaurus

So, I finally found the new velociraptor for less that $15, well got it for $10... far less than some I have seen ( up to $26!). I have to say, I am glad I did not pay anymore than what I did. This figure really is nothing special to command such high price, and it is small! ;D
Disappointed by it for sure, but then again I really did not plan on getting it until I saw one for that price. ;) my major complain is that it is simply not not exciting or creative for my own personal taste. In fact, I found the older Safari feathered dinosaur like the oviraptor, Dilong, Microraptor, etc. to be more exciting and better done. But that is just me, others may find it just awesome ;D
And just like their last Carnegie figure, the teeth on this one is so badly painted it is hard to even see them. Oh and the tail feathers, well, it looks nice, but I'm not sure this is something you will see in a larger animal, it looks more like something you would see on a bird of paradise or crow-size bird, the two feathers on the ends are simple just too large I think ;D
Personally, at this rate, the only really exciting dinosaurs from Safari is from their Wild Safari series, and that is largely due to the artist who sculpt those figures.
[

Oh this is how small this figure is
[]

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks about the same size as their past theropods..at least in length.  The muscles are well defined in the legs..nice drumstick there. It is a shame about the teeth though.  I think we all kind knew this figure was coming and about what it would look like so it's just sorta "meh".  The only way to have made this more exciting was to have it in a leaping pose via clear removable rod and base I think.

Hopefully this time next year we'll be commenting on a truly awesome figure for the Carnegie range.

amanda

That...is.....ah a definite no for me. Just based on the qualkity. Seeing it in person may be a better judgement but I somehow doubt it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I thinking it will look good next to the old un-feathered version.

tyrantqueen

I'll skip it, it's nice but the recycled, static pose just kills it for me. Another year without a Carnegie :-\ And I agree Botm, it would look good as a companion to the old Velociraptor.

triceratops83

Carnegie might do well to release an ornithischian, any ornithischian next year. Although I'm gonna laugh at the responses if it is a hadrosaur in a tripod position, facing slightly to the left with open mouth >:D
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 07, 2014, 09:54:01 AM
Carnegie might do well to release an ornithischian, any ornithischian next year. Although I'm gonna laugh at the responses if it is a hadrosaur in a tripod position, facing slightly to the left with open mouth >:D
Nah, they only use that pose for theropods. With other species, they tend to be a little more adventurous.

triceratops83

A new Hadrosaur would be great, though. Quadruped pose, genus they haven't done before, maybe Saurolophus.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

triceratops83

Something that would suit Carnegie and blow everyone away in the process is to make a series of 1:1 scale dinosaur hatchlings. A Maiasaura baby would only be the length of a computer screen, a bit bulkier than most figures but couldn't be any more expensive than their huge sauropods. When I was a kid the Carnegie figures were the most accurate figures I had seen and something like this could bring them to the forefront again.

Roselaar

It's adequate, but that's as much praise as I can muster for it. A feathered Raptor simply has been done before and done better.

Why has the Carnegie line deteriorated so strongly over the past few years? It deserves so much better. If this is the way Safari celebrates its 25th anniversary, I'm hesitant the line makes it to its 30th.

At least the Wild Safari line is still going strong.

stargatedalek

actually, the elongated tail plumes do come relatively "well informed", they seem to be the norm amongst dromaeosaurs

Manatee

Very true.

In my opinion, it's a nice figure and I will be picking it up, but it's still a slight disappointment. No matter what you guys try to throw at it, it will be the best mass-produced Velociraptor out there, because it blows away Bully's raptor. The tooth problem is unfortunate, and one Carnegie always seems to have, and the model looks shrink-wrapped. I mean seriously, this thing probably literally looked like a six-foot turkey (six feet in length).

Overall, I don't love the figure like I do my Parasaurolophi or my Carnegie Microraptor, but I'll still get it because there's no better alternative. WS's old raptor would be amazing if it was feathered, though. *hint, hint*

stargatedalek

don't forget the Favorite Kinto velociraptor (I'd think it counts as being mass produced?)

Manatee

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 07, 2014, 01:46:20 PM
don't forget the Favorite Kinto velociraptor (I'd think it counts as being mass produced?)
Oh, I forgot that one. It looks very good.

stargatedalek

indeed it does, along with this new Carnegie one its high on my list to acquire

CityRaptor

Shaem about the teeth, but I plan to get this fellow at one point. Maybe it gets fixed as part of a running change. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 07, 2014, 10:43:28 AM
Something that would suit Carnegie and blow everyone away in the process is to make a series of 1:1 scale dinosaur hatchlings. A Maiasaura baby would only be the length of a computer screen, a bit bulkier than most figures but couldn't be any more expensive than their huge sauropods. When I was a kid the Carnegie figures were the most accurate figures I had seen and something like this could bring them to the forefront again.

That's an idea I've tossed out before. Even making something as big as a Compsognathus wouldn't be out of the question considering he size of their past 1:1 animals.

I'm actually ready for Carnegie to replace more older models..an Allosaurus, Apatosaurus, and Stegosaurus are high on my list.

stargatedalek

I really like this idea, there really aren't enough "large figures of small dinosaurs" out there ;)
if they were to do something like that I think it would be great to do them in the style of the Incredible Creatures line (size material etc.)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: