News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 15, 2014, 01:01:12 PM
If the figure wasn't on a nest, it'd still be a great resting pose. Always been a nice figure regardless.

It would be easy enough to cover up. A little dried moss works very well.

The issue I really recall is the playability factor..she's more of a statue, there isn't much to do with such a big chunk of plastic in that pose with the base and all.

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 15, 2014, 04:15:08 PM

The issue I really recall is the playability factor..she's more of a statue, there isn't much to do with such a big chunk of plastic in that pose with the base and all.

Playability's not too much of a factor for me, lol. Actually after what you just said, it reminds me of that kritosaurus by Jorge Blanco. Wish there were more figures of dinosaurs at rest, it's a very natural pose and Hadrosaurs in particular, with their peaceful air, lend themselves very well to that concept. In fact, it'd be great if a company could give us a whole herd of one particular species, all in different poses. Release them a few at a time, with accessories like vegetation, nests, juveniles, termite mounds, smaller animals etc. Take advantage of the fact that certain types of dinosaur have been found in massive bonebeds numbering in the thousands of individuals. Just imagine the Safari 1:72 maiasaur herd playset.
Long shot but DROOOOOOL...
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

alexeratops

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 14, 2014, 04:44:41 PM
Could be. Wasn't there something about Hadrosaurs not selling well in general? And then there is the issue about this version being outdated.
This could be a hint that they will make a more accurate (with a crest) hadrosaur in 2016 maybe. ::)
like a bantha!

ignite444

Be nice to see some crested Hadrosaurs from Safari soon. Only one I own is their Corythosaurus from the Carnegie Collection. Not too impressed with their Parasaurolophus, so I haven't picked it up.

What I REALLY want to see is a new Iguanadon. Every. Single. Iguanadon. Model. Is. On. Its. Hind. Legs. >: ( I want to see one in a natural walking pose! I even suggested this to Safari on YouTube a few months ago. I hope they go through with it. For such a well known dinosaur, all of the models for it are total crap.
My Latest Review: Rebor King T-Rex

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 16, 2014, 01:24:03 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 15, 2014, 04:15:08 PM

Playability's not too much of a factor for me, lol. Actually after what you just said, it reminds me of that kritosaurus by Jorge Blanco. Wish there were more figures of dinosaurs at rest, it's a very natural pose and Hadrosaurs in particular, with their peaceful air, lend themselves very well to that concept. In fact, it'd be great if a company could give us a whole herd of one particular species, all in different poses. Release them a few at a time, with accessories like vegetation, nests, juveniles, termite mounds, smaller animals etc. Take advantage of the fact that certain types of dinosaur have been found in massive bonebeds numbering in the thousands of individuals. Just imagine the Safari 1:72 maiasaur herd playset.
Long shot but DROOOOOOL...

Right. Reminds me of that possible Asian hadrosaur nesting set..was it Kaiyodo?
Maybe a toob set eventually..they'll exhaust all their options at some point.. lol

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 16, 2014, 04:57:25 PM
Maybe a toob set eventually..they'll exhaust all their options at some point.. lol

YES. Dinosaur community Toobs. They could do whole ecosystems, like a Morrison Formation set. Have a Toob with Theropods, another one with Sauropods, Ornithischians and so forth. Then Campanian - oh stop dreaming, Triceratops83...
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 17, 2014, 02:22:36 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 16, 2014, 04:57:25 PM

YES. Dinosaur community Toobs. They could do whole ecosystems, like a Morrison Formation set. Have a Toob with Theropods, another one with Sauropods, Ornithischians and so forth. Then Campanian - oh stop dreaming, Triceratops83...

It wouldn't be a bad way to go..if only the market supported it.

triceratops83

Probably not, it was a bit of a stretch.

Manatee

Quote from: ignite444 on December 16, 2014, 03:03:10 PM
What I REALLY want to see is a new Iguanodon. Every. Single. Iguanodon. Model. Is. On. Its. Hind. Legs.
This.

CityRaptor

To be fair, pretty much every Disneysaur Iguanodon is on all fours. But unfortunately they all have actual horse faces instead of proper beaks...

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 17, 2014, 06:15:04 PM
Quote from: triceratops83 on December 17, 2014, 02:22:36 PM

It wouldn't be a bad way to go..if only the market supported it.

Yeah, the market is the issue.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

Quote from: Manatee on December 17, 2014, 08:43:33 PM
What I REALLY want to see is a new Iguanodon. Every. Single. Iguanodon. Model. Is. On. Its. Hind. Legs.
This.

Hello have you seen the Bullyland model?

CityRaptor

Oh yes, that one, too. Same with Schleich's old Iguanodon.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Manatee

Quote from: Takama on December 17, 2014, 11:49:06 PM
Quote from: Manatee on December 17, 2014, 08:43:33 PM
This.

Hello have you seen the Bullyland model?

Good point. And, there's also the WWD and Schleich models. Still, all of them are retired, and only the Bullyland is often still available.

ignite444

Hm, I might pick it up. I'm still sad at the fact that it has a hand in the air though. I doubt any Hadrosaur could turn its hand like that, even Iguanodon.
My Latest Review: Rebor King T-Rex

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: ignite444 on December 18, 2014, 12:15:08 AM
Hm, I might pick it up. I'm still sad at the fact that it has a hand in the air though. I doubt any Hadrosaur could turn its hand like that, even Iguanodon.
Hadrosaurs and iguanodons are not quite the same species , meaning there are some differences. notably most hadrosaur arms are twisted so as to make them appear pronated often. An iguanodon for whatever reason possessed some rather tricky arm specializations to allow it to turn its hands as you see in the model....odd as it is seemingly more basal than most hadrosaurs.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Georassic

The Bullyland Iguanodon's raised arm moves...it swivels at the shoulder, although there's only one angle where the paint lines up.
I just got mine from Dejankins this week.  ;)

Daspletodave

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 18, 2014, 03:31:14 AM
Quote from: ignite444 on December 18, 2014, 12:15:08 AM
Hadrosaurs and iguanodons are not quite the same species , meaning there are some differences. notably most hadrosaur arms are twisted so as to make them appear pronated often. An iguanodon for whatever reason possessed some rather tricky arm specializations to allow it to turn its hands as you see in the model....odd as it is seemingly more basal than most hadrosaurs.
Not so odd - you have to remember that Iguanodon evolved earlier (probably from bipedal ancestors), was smaller and lighter than the later evolving hadrosaurs, and Iguanodon was itself bipedal (as the tracks prove). It probably used its "hands" in feeding and self-defense.
Hadrosaurs like Edmontosaurus were simply huge, and quadruped - only going bipedal as an emergency escape mechanism. Because of the padding on their "hands" they probably could not use them at all for feeding or self-defense, they used them as legs.
The same thing happened with the prosauropods vs sauropods. Plateosaurus has recently been proven to be bipedal. As sauropods evolved and got ever bigger, their sheer weight forced them into a quadruped stance. No sauropods were bipedal (nor could they rear up).

JakobVicent

I just recieved the sauropelta and nasutoceratops!! They are both awesome figures!!

DinoLord

Quote from: JakobVicent on December 19, 2014, 01:13:25 AM
I just recieved the sauropelta and nasutoceratops!! They are both awesome figures!!

Wow that was fast. Any photos?

SBell

Be nice to see some crested Hadrosaurs from Safari soon. Only one I own is their Corythosaurus from the Carnegie Collection. Not too impressed with their Parasaurolophus, so I haven't picked it up.

What I REALLY want to see is a new Iguanadon. Every. Single. Iguanadon. Model. Is. On. Its. Hind. Legs. >: ( I want to see one in a natural walking pose! I even suggested this to Safari on YouTube a few months ago. I hope they go through with it. For such a well known dinosaur, all of the models for it are total crap.

You need to hunt down the Hypacrosaurus and baby then! Better than the Carnegie Cory

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: