News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triceratops83

PETITION TIME - The next Ceratopsian discovered needs to be named in honour of Doug Watson! Safariceratops watsoni.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Manatee

Safariceratops just doesn't work as a genus name. Doug needs to do something very influential in terms of helping discover the animal or in paleontology as a whole in order to be part of a dinosaur name.

triceratops83

Quote from: Manatee on December 22, 2014, 01:03:16 PM
Safariceratops just doesn't work as a genus name. Doug needs to do something very influential in terms of helping discover the animal or in paleontology as a whole in order to be part of a dinosaur name.

Yeah, the Genus idea was dumb, but hey, they named a bug after Gary Larson. Palaeoart is influential, bringing creatures to life in the only way possible.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

amargasaurus cazaui

This is not really accurate either...there are many dinosaurs named somewhat whimsically for this or that daughter or relative of someone, etc. By example the maisasaurus Peeblum, named for the Peebles ranch where it was discovered..or Amargasaurus named for the Amarga Arroyo, where it was found. There are quite a list of dinosaurs named for random things that really were not influential or that big of a deal in paleontology
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Manatee

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 22, 2014, 02:23:57 PM
This is not really accurate either...there are many dinosaurs named somewhat whimsically for this or that daughter or relative of someone, etc. By example the maisasaurus Peeblum, named for the Peebles ranch where it was discovered..or Amargasaurus named for the Amarga Arroyo, where it was found. There are quite a list of dinosaurs named for random things that really were not influential or that big of a deal in paleontology
True, but I was mostly referring to people in the species name (i.e. horneri, walkeri, etc.) rather than place names like you mentioned. However, I guess the discovery site could be counted as being influential in terms of discovering the animal. I'm sure there are exceptions, as I'm not a walking encyclopedia of every species name ever.

triceratops83

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 22, 2014, 02:23:57 PM

Not to mention all manner of extant animals named after things like Darth Vader and various Pop Culture references. Hell, there's even a Dinosaur named after a Star Trek Villain. Masiakasaurus got its' species name because its' discoverers were listening to Mark Knopfler. I think we can give about a million examples. So, I think we can all agree that paleoartists are certainly worthy of this, in Doug's case a ceratopsian named after a master sculptor of said beasties seems appropriate in my opinion. Just an idea ;)

EMBARASSING EDIT - Khaan is not named for the reason I thought ::)

amargasaurus cazaui

I failed to underline the point of my post apparently.....Maisasaurus Peeblem, named for the Peebles ranch, owned by a family named the ...yes, the Peebles.....so a dinosaur got named for people that owned the ground where it was found, which I believe has happened before . Their contribution to paleontology was owning the discovery site.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Manatee

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 22, 2014, 04:04:27 PM
I failed to underline the point of my post apparently.....Maisasaurus Peeblem, named for the Peebles ranch, owned by a family named the ...yes, the Peebles.....so a dinosaur got named for people that owned the ground where it was found, which I believe has happened before . Their contribution to paleontology was owning the discovery site.
I got the point, and it doesn't contradict mine. The Peebles would have been influential in the discovery of Maiasaura, so my point still stands.

amargasaurus cazaui

influential in the discovery of.....because they owned the land? well thats new......not sure I consider that an earth shaking contribution to the paleo world .

Manatee

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 22, 2014, 04:24:56 PM
influential in the discovery of.....because they owned the land? well thats new......not sure I consider that an earth shaking contribution to the paleo world .
In the discovery of Maiasaura, not in the whole of paleontology. I guess you're right in that the Peebles weren't exactly influential, so it could count as an exception, but let's just agree to disagree on it. I'm sure there are plenty more exceptions- Gojirasaurus, anyone?

Sim

I don't know if it changes anything, but it's Maiasaura peeblesorum.  An animal, whether prehistoric or not can be named after pretty much whatever the describer wants.  E.g.: Dracorex hogwartsia.  I don't like that name and I'm glad it's most likely a juvenile Pachycephalosaurus.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on December 22, 2014, 05:50:53 PM
I don't know if it changes anything, but it's Maiasaura peeblesorum.  An animal, whether prehistoric or not can be named after pretty much whatever the describer wants.  E.g.: Dracorex hogwartsia.  I don't like that name and I'm glad it's most likely a juvenile Pachycephalosaurus.
hate to take this topic in that direction, but I'd like to point out that while dracorex and stygimoloch are most likely synonymous, its unlikely that either is synonymous with pachycephalosaurus, this is of course just based on what appears to be the general consensus currently on the issue and not based on any new evidence (although there are rumors of a juvenile pachycephalosaurus but nothing yet proven of its existence)

CityRaptor

There are worse names, like those given by the Riches. I don't see Timmimus imitating anyone named Tim...

Quote from: leidy on December 19, 2014, 02:57:42 AM
I don't see why not.  So long as there's variety in the choice of species and the sculpts are good, I think their chances are no worse than some of the previous tubes they've done.  The only issue I can see is if they flooded the market with all of these in the one year, and even then, who knows.

Grouping dinosaurs by fossil assemblage seems like a pretty obvious way to do it.  Who wouldn't want a Hell Creek set?

Soccer Moms who protest against the word Hell! ;D Toobs based on eco systems seem a good iea. Hell Creek and Morrison would also both have propular Dinosaurs. Maybe also Jehol Biota, Solfnhofen and Gobi toobs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

From what I can see the current consensus is Dracorex and Stygimoloch are most likely juvenile Pachycephalosaurus.  In addition to this, the last study I was able to find on this, by Nick Longrich and colleagues in 2010 supports this and other flatter-headed pachycephalosaurs being juveniles.  Looking at the animals you can see a transition between them, going Dracorex -> Stygimoloch -> Pachycephalosaurus.  They also all lived at the same time and place, and Dracorex and Stygimoloch are only known from juvenile specimens while Pachycephalosaurus is only known from adult specimens.

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 22, 2014, 06:50:16 PM
There are worse names, like those given by the Riches. I don't see Timmimus imitating anyone named Tim...
I don't like Timimus either.  When I was a child and first heard of it, I thought it sounded weird.  I still think it sounds weird.  An even worse name is Megapnosaurus, meaning "big dead lizard".  It also has a pretty bad history leading to that name.  Thankfully, that name is now dead (pun intended) and a junior synonym of Coelophysis. ^-^

As far as I'm aware, Safariceratops could work as a genus name.  There is a dinosaur called Mojoceratops!  And Gojirasaurus as you mentioned, and Dracorex.  I don't think these are exceptions, but rather examples of the range of things animals can be named after.

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 22, 2014, 02:30:59 PM
So, I think we can all agree that paleoartists are certainly worthy of this, in Doug's case a ceratopsian named after a master sculptor of said beasties seems appropriate in my opinion. Just an idea ;)
Palaeoartists are certainly worthy of this.  Others think so too, as Torvosaurus gurneyi is named after James Gurney, the author/illustrator of Dinotopia.

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 22, 2014, 02:30:59 PM
EMBARASSING EDIT - Khaan is not named for the reason I thought ::)
Haha!  You're funny!  Unfortunately I wasn't able to see what you wrote about Khaan.  What did you think was the reason for Khaan's name?

tyrantqueen

QuoteHaha!  You're funny!  Unfortunately I wasn't able to see what you wrote about Khaan.  What did you think was the reason for Khaan's name?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54

triceratops83

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 22, 2014, 07:35:30 PM
QuoteHaha!  You're funny!  Unfortunately I wasn't able to see what you wrote about Khaan.  What did you think was the reason for Khaan's name?

That's it. I seem to remember a story about the naming of Mendozasaurus in response to Khaan. A reference to a moment in the Simpsons when Rainier Wolfcastle screams "MENDOZA" in a very Shatnerian manner. I may have imagined that, too.

tyrantqueen

Speaking of dinosaur names, there is an episode of "Friends" where Ross (the paleontologist) is asked to spell the name of a species of dinosaur. He says he can't spell it because he's never heard of the species before. Apparently the first letter is silent. Does this dinosaur exist? I can't remember what it was called.

It's been bothering me for a while.

tanystropheus

The Nasutoceratops looks to be another ceratopsian winner for WS.

DinoLord

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 23, 2014, 02:05:07 AM
The Nasutoceratops looks to be another ceratopsian winner for WS.
Indeed. Though I wish that they did ceratopsians less regularly the ones they do put out are top-notch!

ignite444

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 23, 2014, 01:52:46 AM
Speaking of dinosaur names, there is an episode of "Friends" where Ross (the paleontologist) is asked to spell the name of a species of dinosaur. He says he can't spell it because he's never heard of the species before. Apparently the first letter is silent. Does this dinosaur exist? I can't remember what it was called.

It's been bothering me for a while.

Only one I can think of is the Psittacosaurus. The "p" is silent.
My Latest Review: Rebor King T-Rex

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: