News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

velociraptor advice

Started by stargatedalek, September 19, 2014, 06:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

very few nocturnal animals are black at all, predator or otherwise ;)
I hadn't known that about fishing lures, I'll probably end up using that tip, thanks

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 22, 2014, 11:50:58 PM
very few nocturnal animals are black at all, predator or otherwise ;)
I hadn't known that about fishing lures, I'll probably end up using that tip, thanks

For the very same reason there are few black predators, they stand out too much.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Concavenator on September 22, 2014, 10:39:59 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 22, 2014, 10:25:29 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on September 22, 2014, 08:06:56 PM
I'd choose an entirely black coloration because dromaeosaurs were most nocturnal.Velociraptor too.So a black coloration would make sense.
Actually very few nocturnal animals are pure black. Most of them are dull, light colours, like the barn owl, which is white and light brown.
But a barn owl can climb trees,so it'd be safe from any predator,and it can fly!Velociraptor couldn't climb and was flightless.
There are plenty of prey species that are light coloured (hedgehogs and mice, for example) Even dark coloured animals, like badgers and raccoons, are not pure black. Most examples of pure black animals are ones that have been bred in captivity by humans. In the wild they would not survive long.

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Scipionyx on September 22, 2014, 05:29:13 AM

Black-and-white plumage like that would make the animal extremely visible, making camouflage impossible, and is pretty unlikely.

Highly contrasting colors like black and white break up an animal and make very good camouflage.  It looks bright and loud on a flat background but in the wild with light, shadow, background objects, it works.  It makes the animal more difficult to visually keep track of when it is moving as well.  Roadrunners, Desert Wheatears, and many species of quail and other ground game birds showcase white and black(or veryveryvery dark brown/gray) patterns.  They all live in the desert.  Arabian oryx is a large desert animal which is also black and white.  We all know there are many possibilities that could be considered realistic for this. What Stargatedalek ultimately chose fine and totally plausible in my opinion. 

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.