News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sea monkeys vs triops

Started by Hynerpeton, September 27, 2014, 02:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hynerpeton

Are there big differences? Can they both survive in any water? How about sun?
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

DinoLord

Sea monkeys are a fancy name for brine shrimp (Artemia sp.). These generally need salt water to survive. There are similar freshwater shrimp called fairy shrimp, but these are difficult to maintain a colony of over the long term. Both make good fish food.  >:D

Triops are another type of crustacean that resemble miniature horseshoe crabs. From what I've read they're much hardier than brine shrimp would be. These are freshwater.

Direct sun is a bad idea for anything living in a small amount of water. Indirect sunlight is fine but may cause problems with algae growth. Most likely any of these animals would be fine at room temperature provided your house doesn't get extremely cold (<mid-high 60s Fahrenheit).

Hynerpeton

Quote from: DinoLord on September 27, 2014, 02:35:13 AM
Sea monkeys are a fancy name for brine shrimp (Artemia sp.). These generally need salt water to survive. There are similar freshwater shrimp called fairy shrimp, but these are difficult to maintain a colony of over the long term. Both make good fish food.  >:D

Triops are another type of crustacean that resemble miniature horseshoe crabs. From what I've read they're much hardier than brine shrimp would be. These are freshwater.

Direct sun is a bad idea for anything living in a small amount of water. Indirect sunlight is fine but may cause problems with algae growth. Most likely any of these animals would be fine at room temperature provided your house doesn't get extremely cold (<mid-high 60s Fahrenheit).

My room is always warm. Unless its really cold outside. So should i get triops and a tiny tank? I want a pet predino. :) or sea monkeys?
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

DinoLord

Brine shrimp aren't really living fossils like Triops are. Triops are probably a good option for you. I'd do some research online first to make sure you can meet all their requirements though - even hardy creatures deserve proper care.

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:

stargatedalek

"sea monkeys" is a pretty general term, I've heard it used for triops, brine shrimp, fairy shrimp, and even triops and fairy shrimp simultaneously
its generally used to refer to any small commercially marketable arthropods that hatch from dry eggs

depending how many you want, and whether you want a tank large enough to have a filter or if you would clean it by hand
-if you only want a few triops (3-5) you could use a beta tank (get a fairly large one, as beta tanks are often undersized), but you would have to clean it by hand every week
-if you want more than 3-5 triops a 'small-ish' 5-10 gallon tank would be needed, which also gives you the option of a filter

I used to have fairy shrimp and triops when I was little, but the supplies the kit came with was sub-par and they didn't live very long

Alexxitator

Hey this is nice! You made an entire thread about this!
I still have not gotten around to setting up my Triops tank. I promised myself I'll do that today.

The species I bought is right here:
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/201173829667?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This guy seems to have really everything you might need for triops.
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Tyto_Theropod

I tried keeping sea monkeys once - I did loads of research and to my knowledge did everything right, but they all died. Apparently sea monkeys hate me :( Never tried triops. I've always wanted to, though. After my sea monkeys died (this is me aged ten or eleven) I asked my Mum for some but she said, "No, they'll just die on you like the sea monkeys did!" :/

Personally, I vote dog, or failing that, hamster. And if that's too mammal biassed for you, then snails. I used to keep them as a kid too, they lived for a very long time, were easy to care for and surprisingly fascinating. Sadly my hall at uni doesn't even allow pet yeast so all I'm able to have there are my two Phalaenopsis orchids :( So I'll have to put off the triops experiment for a few years yet...
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Tyto_Theropod

But if you want a living fossil, I'd say a budgie - DINOSAURS FTW!!!

I apologise for being flippant and absolutely no help at all.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

stargatedalek

I used to have apple snails, breeding colony actually, unfortunately I lost the whole colony to disease (and not before one of the parents attacked and killed my loach)
they were interesting animals for sure, surprisingly active behavior

if its living fossil pets you are looking for, there's many species of freshwater fish that make great options

Hynerpeton

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 03, 2014, 08:03:48 PM
I used to have apple snails, breeding colony actually, unfortunately I lost the whole colony to disease (and not before one of the parents attacked and killed my loach)
they were interesting animals for sure, surprisingly active behavior

if its living fossil pets you are looking for, there's many species of freshwater fish that make great options

What would they be?
Walking With Monsers:

stargatedalek

arowana, bichir, lungfish, and knifefish are all fairly common in aquaria

but none (except some species of knifefish) are suited to beginners

DinoLord

Yeah fishkeeping is a pretty pricey hobby to get into and requires you to learn a lot of things first. The fossil fish species in particular are tricky because they are all large predators that tend to prefer live food. Probably would be easier to go with one of the inverts you were considering first.

Hynerpeton

Quote from: DinoLord on October 04, 2014, 01:13:15 AM
Yeah fishkeeping is a pretty pricey hobby to get into and requires you to learn a lot of things first. The fossil fish species in particular are tricky because they are all large predators that tend to prefer live food. Probably would be easier to go with one of the inverts you were considering first.

Yea will start small first. Lol
Walking With Monsers:

Alexxitator

You can always buy the Colorata fossil fish set! It's very nicely made. And they don't need any special food.
I know I promised to start my triops yesterday, but I had a nightshift and feel very meh at the moment. Ah well, you can keep them dry in the bag for decennia, so not a problem.
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Hynerpeton

Quote from: Alexxitator on October 04, 2014, 02:11:29 PM
You can always buy the Colorata fossil fish set! It's very nicely made. And they don't need any special food.
I know I promised to start my triops yesterday, but I had a nightshift and feel very meh at the moment. Ah well, you can keep them dry in the bag for decennia, so not a problem.

I like this set!!! :D WANT!!
Walking With Monsers:

Alexxitator

My first Triops have hatched!
They are about 0,5 millimeters and merrily eating everything they can fit in their mouths. 8)
They're great! Though small  ;)
-Charles Darwin-

Hynerpeton

Quote from: Alexxitator on October 04, 2014, 02:11:29 PM

How much is the price range of this?
Walking With Monsers:

Libraraptor

I used to have a small tank of artemia on my window sill for a very long time when I was 15 or so years old. Then, when I had an aquarium, I began breeding them again, which worked out well. Artemia salina are quite easy to keep.

postsaurischian

Quote from: predino on October 13, 2014, 08:51:47 PM
How much is the price range of this [Colorata - Fossil Fish box]?

Colorata's original price is about USD $30.
http://www.colorata.com/fs/colorata/figurebox/figurebox_es1
Of course eBay sellers offer it for much more.

edit: One eBay seller looks okay :).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLORATA-JAPAN-Real-Figure-box-Fossil-Fish-ancient-fish-Figure-Set-/171429535852?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e9ff206c

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: