News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebuloid

Wow they managed to get all 3 figures they call raptors wrong ( including the Dilophosaurus  :)) ) . But I would buy this in an instant !

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Nebuloid on November 03, 2014, 11:19:14 AM
Wow they managed to get all 3 figures they call raptors wrong ( including the Dilophosaurus  :)) ) . But I would buy this in an instant !
Why?

amanda

For the novelty? Many members here do have misc. Chinasaur/knock-off figures as a curiosity. I am not entirely sure what I think of that. I can see that. But to knowingly buy this set is....dunno. I wouldn't.

tyrantqueen

What if Safari or some other big company took one of their own figures, recast it and painted it with a sloppier paint job? And stopped testing them for safety? Would people still buy them as a novelty then? Meh, I just think people would ask for their money back. For some reason, when another company does it illegally people want to buy it.

I do not understand it. It's not like they have improved quality over the original. And if people wanted to save money, why be in the collecting hobby at all?

But hey, it's your money and your choice, guys.

sauroid

i wouldnt want to clutter my limited space with these poor quality figures. space is more valuable.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Alexa on November 03, 2014, 03:18:39 AM
Hi there!
A dear friend in Mexico spotted this set at a local Walmart and I thought you might want to see it.

[...]

Hi. I'm from México. Thats the same box I posted few days ago, but you have much better pics. This box is selling in walmart, but its likely to be sold in other locations. Of course it is made in china.

If some of you are interested I have confirmed that the Papo Rex's has poseable jaw (something unusual in bottlegs).
Also this bootlegs are hollow to some extent.

I have almost all the originals and I don't encourage anyone to buy this... but I can understand why many want to buy it.

1) For those who live in Latinamerica there aren't retailers that sell Safari's, Papo's, CollectA's nor even Schleich's.
2) The price is so cheap compared to the original ones (and no need to pay shipping nor importation taxes).
3) Good material for trial & error painting.
4) Good material for customization. 

But anyway, People, please support the original companies so we can get new models each year.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Takama

Other Knockoffs at Walgreens

An associate walks by me and asks "Are you finding everything alright" 

I say "Well, you have bootleg Dinosaur figures for sale"

The associate Then asks me how they are bootlegged, and I told her I can prove it by bringing a few of the originals in. and she said we could talk to the manager about it.

Honestly, I don't know If I want to risk taking any of my figures in, and im sure there's not much that could be down 

tyrantqueen

QuoteThe associate Then asks me how they are bootlegged, and I told her I can prove it by bringing a few of the originals in. and she said we could talk to the manager about it.

Honestly, I don't know If I want to risk taking any of my figures in, and im sure there's not much that could be down 
What risk is there? You should do it, just to see the reaction from the manager >:D

stargatedalek

yet another shameless recast from our "friends" at Holy Stone
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holy-Stone-Jurassic-Dinosaurs-Giganotosaurus-model-mini-action-figures-Kids-Toys-/151418867335?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item2341448e87

at least this one has the novelty of being heavily enlarged on its side...
never mind misread CM as inches

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 06, 2014, 02:30:17 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holy-Stone-Jurassic-Dinosaurs-Giganotosaurus-model-mini-action-figures-Kids-Toys-/151418867335?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item2341448e87

At least they also ripped off the Jurassic Park logo!

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: SBell on November 06, 2014, 02:51:29 AM

At least they also ripped off the Jurassic Park logo!

Maybe they thought they could get away with it by changing the name of the Papo Al to a Giga?  :P

tyrantqueen

Nebuloid

Rathalosaurus

Quote from: Takama on November 04, 2014, 01:51:57 AM
Other Knockoffs at Walgreens

An associate walks by me and asks "Are you finding everything alright" 

I say "Well, you have bootleg Dinosaur figures for sale"

The associate Then asks me how they are bootlegged, and I told her I can prove it by bringing a few of the originals in. and she said we could talk to the manager about it.

Why does this company do that? I mean, are they so stupid not to make their own models? And really, the paintjobs are diarrhoea!!!! :)) :)) ;D
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Wow. Funny thing was I was about to share the same link, or one like it. 
Anyhow is their rendition of the Running Rex. http://tinyurl.com/otxggra

I also just came across the Spinosaurus and I think his eye are literately just a blob of bright green paint. http://tinyurl.com/px2bboh

stargatedalek

Geoworld receives no sympathy from me, Papo however, deserves better than having their rex shown on the same box as Geoworld bootlegs (or Animal Planet for that matter)...

DinoLord

CityRaptor

"The great circle of bootlegging has begun."

Papo Dinosaurs are actually a promient example of being often used for "box art".
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 06, 2014, 07:30:01 PM
Geoworld receives no sympathy from me, Papo however, deserves better than having their rex shown on the same box as Geoworld bootlegs
That's a double standard!

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on December 07, 2014, 01:35:15 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 06, 2014, 07:30:01 PM
Geoworld receives no sympathy from me, Papo however, deserves better than having their rex shown on the same box as Geoworld bootlegs
That's a double standard!
he-he, I suppose in a way one could say the Papo rex is taken from JP, but I feel thats done more as a deliberate homage as opposed to Geoworlds laziness

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: