News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mest

Can you spot the difference? Dimensions are exactly same. Original Schleich is 265 grams, knock-off 242 grams.

mest

Quote from: raptor64870 on June 20, 2016, 05:09:55 AM
they use the pics from the legit dinosaurus.

Copies are in so good quality you can't tell are those images legit or not.

docronnie

If you have held the original in your hands, you can tell, but photos, it seems hard.  :(
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Silvanusaurus

One of them is a cheap, overpriced con made in China, the other is a knockoff.  >:D ;)

fason

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on June 24, 2016, 02:18:40 PM
One of them is a cheap, overpriced con made in China, the other is a knockoff.  >:D ;)

i see what you did there  ^-^   ........the schleich really is  a knock off of this beautiful figure  which  obviously came first . ;D jk

CarnegieCollector

I almost got tricked into buying a knock-off Papo T. rex on eBay. Glad I didn't.
It looked almost exactly like the original green Tyrannosaurus. The tail and head gave it away though.
Stupid scandals
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Jose S.M.

I found some figures in a store and they looked familiar, I'm pretty sure they are knock-offs of Geoworld (the Spinosaurus is very similar, also the Guanlong, the Styracosaurus and the sauropod is like their Argentinosaurus I think)  and I think I've seen the boxes were they are displayed in this thread but don't remember the actual figures.

SBell

I've seen variations of the Dinosaur World figures at Toys R Us. Not the real Geoworld, but repackaged ones.

Sea Monsters and Dinosaurs. I might be intrigued if I saw any of the mammals or early-reptiles...

Silvanusaurus

You know you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel when you start knocking-off Geoworld.  ::)

CityRaptor

Yeah.

Speaking of bottom: Looks like a knock-off Papo Pteranodon at the bottom of the pics.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Jose S.M.

Oh,  yeah that one too,  and there was a fake papo ankylosaurus at the window of the store,  but the security guard was giving me weird looks when I tried  to picture it.  Also a hybrid of Collecta stego with wild safari paintjob

Sim

It appears the Geoworld knock-offs of the bipedal animals don't have bases.

Flaffy

So I guess it's a double rip-off? If you're ripping off Geoworld then you know you have serious issues.  :P

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on July 15, 2016, 07:55:35 PM
It appears the Geoworld knock-offs of the bipedal animals don't have bases.
Indeed they don't, and they still stand relatively fine. Yet another lesson to be learned Geoworld.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I was very disappointed today to see that a major museum like the Perot in Dallas was selling obvious knockoffs of the Papo Allosaurus and Tyrannosaurus, though to be fair, they seem a little better than some of the others I've seen on this thread. I wonder if it would be worth it for toy companies to pursue legal action? I'm sure these are produced overseas beyond jurisdiction, but a major institution like the Perot should really know better.

Flaffy

That price for a knockoff figure?! :o
Although I'm not a fan of Papo, it still is pretty sad.
Probably from a Chinese company, I see them in HK in a lot of toy shops, a tenth the price.

pylraster

Nothing new for museums to sell knockoffs. Sometimes I wonder if the ones who put them on sale know the difference between fake and original. Maybe they do but they don't seem to care.

Silvanusaurus

I'd honestly be reluctant to pay 12.99 for the real thing, but at least that wouldn't cost me my dignity too.

Halichoeres

I saw the same knockoffs in the dinosaur store at the American Museum in New York back in January. Damned shame.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

The Atroxious

I stumbled upon this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H2US30Y?psc=1

It looks like a bootleg, but I've never before seen Amazon selling bootleg toys, and I didn't see any of the reviews mention the fact that it's identical to the Papo model. Did Papo license it's running rex while I wasn't looking, or did someone just manage to pull off a rather massive scam?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: