News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Looks like a bootleg to me (albeit slightly better quality than your run of the mill bootleg).

Silvanusaurus

I don't know about .com but Amazon.co.uk is rife with these bootlegs. I guess they don't actually set much of a standard for what can be sold in their 'marketplace'.

CityRaptor

Looking at the reviews of the genuine Papo on amazon.com, it seems like there actually was a seller claiming that this was the real one. That is indeed the source for most negative ratings that figure got.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

whoah a rainbow colored REBOR bootleg. talk about adding insult to injury.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Derek.McManus

I had a couple of theropods, Allosaurs and Tyrannosaurs in the 70's that had almost that exact colour scheme only missing the red! 

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: sauroid on October 22, 2016, 05:31:24 PM

That figure already was a pretty horrible as a Yutyrannus, but according to the page it's supposed to be a Tyrannosaurus which makes it even worse.

Dilopho

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on October 22, 2016, 06:33:03 PM
Quote from: sauroid on October 22, 2016, 05:31:24 PM

That figure already was a pretty horrible as a Yutyrannus, but according to the page it's supposed to be a Tyrannosaurus which makes it even worse.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!! IT'S HORRIBLE!
What else do they have...

AAAAAAAAAaaaactually these colours aren't that bad! Nice green and black combo!

Evil eyes

Better colours than the real model, in my opinion.
For bootlegs these aren't so bad.

Flaffy

Arrrrrrrrr.... Me EYEs... It Burrrrns!
The last one is actually pretty good for a bootleg, remind's me of the PNSO Allosaurus.

Nanuqsaurus

Honestly the colors on that knock-off Schleich Therizinosaurus are better than the real one. The grey/orange works better than the bright blue of the original.

Flaffy

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on October 22, 2016, 07:03:42 PM
Honestly the colors on that knock-off Schleich Therizinosaurus are better than the real one. The grey/orange works better than the bright blue of the original.
This shows how bad Schleich figures are.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on October 22, 2016, 07:07:37 PM
Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on October 22, 2016, 07:03:42 PM
This shows how bad Schleich figures are.

Most of them. But they have some good dinosaurs (Kentrosaurus and Pentaceratops are very nice) and their modern day animals are some of the best.

tyrantqueen

Waste of money.

Haven't Rebor sued these guys yet? They promised they would ::)

MLMjp

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 22, 2016, 07:27:44 PM
Waste of money.

Haven't Rebor sued these guys yet? They promised they would ::)
From Rebor Facebook:
OK let's talk about the elephant in the room, yes we are aware that there are bootleg REBOR figures in the market, and we've tried several ways to stop them, but what can we say...it's China after all, and those manufactures are protected by their local government, sadly that's the truth. So if Sideshow can't stop them, Hottoys can't stop them, Disney can't stop them, Hasbro can't stop them, NECA can't stop them, Papo,Safari, Schleich, Battat , Mojo can't stop them, it would be the same for us.

CityRaptor

If they would look at it optimistic, they would see that they no longer have the worst Yutyrannus on the market...because the bootleg of it is even worse.  Of course, them being REBOR, they probably do not see it like that and consider their one the best anways. And let's face it, bootlegs are never a good thing, so they are not wrong being miffed about the knock-off.

I saw a Mighty Megasaur bootleg of the Jurassic World Spinosaurs today. ( There is also one that is a bootleg of the TLW Spino )

It's kinda funny how many bootlegs are copies of  bad figures.
Oh no

Silvanusaurus

In a way, Rebor being knocked off could be used as a sign that they've 'made it' as a real company.

CityRaptor

That's true. It means that they are popular enough to have their products knocked-off.
Oh no

Silvanusaurus

Sometimes, I wish I was popular enough to have my products knocked off...

CityRaptor

Be careful what you wish for. Knock-Offs led to the downfall of Horizon.
Oh no

Simon

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 22, 2016, 10:55:32 PM
Be careful what you wish for. Knock-Offs led to the downfall of Horizon.

Actually, no - Horizon failed because they paid enormous licensing fees for the use of the JP Dinosaur sculpts and logo, which was then reflected in the prices of the kits, which did not sell well enough to off-set the upfront costs, much less make a profit.  It was a business venture gamble by a garage kit company that failed despite creating some spectacular models.

They simply over-estimated the interest in the market - people loved JP, but most were not interested in huge 1/20 kits that had to be built up and painted.

The slew of smaller, misshapen, poor quality vinyl recasts of Horizon's original JP kits only spread years after Horizon was already "kaput".

That is the "rest of the story."   ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: