News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

"Carnivorous cattle dragon" is the best name ever. I'm kinda tempted to use that pic as a signature.

Nanuqsaurus

Those translations are hilarious. It's kinda like Star War: The Third Gathers: Backstroke of the West:P

bmathison1972

many of these names look like direct translations, perhaps with 'dragon' being similar to 'lizard' in Japanese? (with -saurus translating to dragon?).

While I am normally not a big complainer of knock-offs, some of these are such blatant rip-offs even I find it nauseating.

CityRaptor

Likely. Dinosaur is Kyoryu in japanese. Ryu is dragon. But those are chinese bootlegs.  And in China it would be Konglong, with long being dagon.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

bmathison1972

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 15, 2017, 04:28:23 PM
Likely. Dinosaur is Kyoryu in japanese. Ryu is dragon. But those are chinese bootlegs.  And in China it would be Konglong, with long being dagon.

gotcha, I knew they came from China but thought the marketing was in Japanese (with so many Japanese figures, it's easy to go there off the bat)

IrritatorRaji

Came across this train-wreck of a listing

> Safari Acrocanthosaurus
> Being marketed as a Tyrannosaurus
> Labelled a Pachycephalosaur

Loon

Looks like the "lumpers" have started making toys to push their agenda on to children!

Neosodon

Not sure whether to laugh, vomit or cry. Not even going to begin on this one. :P

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

IrritatorRaji

Another, erh, interesting find

Here's a "Corythosaurus" hand puppet

Rain

What's it a knock off of? I don't really recognize it.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Rain on December 16, 2017, 09:58:54 PM
What's it a knock off of? I don't really recognize it.

I'm not sure either but it's really familiar to me, I really can't put my tongue on where I've seen it before. It was being sold with other hand puppets that were knockoffs of Papo and Jurassic World.

IrritatorRaji

An interesting Schleich rip off. They gave the Rex more articulation.
That's kind of it's only saving grace because the quality and the paint job are horrible.

The same company also took that Schleich Rex and made it a "lifelike" animatronic.
And, can I just say, it makes Hasbro's JW line look like a masterpiece.

Poor thing's riddled with bullet holes.

We've also got some familiar faces here.

Jose S.M.

This is the time of the knock-offs here in my town! I went to a store and there was a wall full with them, mostly Schleich and Papo, some Safari too. I saw Schleich Parasaurolophus, Saichania, Allosaurus, Brachiosaurus and others, also there was Papo Triceratops, Pteranodon and Carnotaurus.

sauroid

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on December 21, 2017, 01:24:35 AM
This is the time of the knock-offs here in my town! I went to a store and there was a wall full with them, mostly Schleich and Papo, some Safari too. I saw Schleich Parasaurolophus, Saichania, Allosaurus, Brachiosaurus and others, also there was Papo Triceratops, Pteranodon and Carnotaurus.
same situation in my city. walltowall/shelftoshelf knock-offs. the only no-knockoff section is the Mojo Fun, Schleich and Recur. btw, even RECUR is being bootlegged in China lmao.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Ravonium

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on December 21, 2017, 12:36:32 AM
The same company also took that Schleich Rex and made it a "lifelike" animatronic.
And, can I just say, it makes Hasbro's JW line look like a masterpiece.

That figure looks neither lifelike, nor is it even an animatronic. It's just an awful knockoff of an already mediocre figure.

I wonder if it is a rejected character from Jurassic World 2, since the bulletholes imply that it was a victim of dinosaur abuse.

CityRaptor

They probably made it, saw how horrible it was and then tried to kill it by shooting.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loon

Better call Tony Baxter, Disney Imagineers ain't got nothing on those animatronics!

Loon

Happy Hanukkah! For $45, you can have your own "quality" Dinosaur Menorah. I never knew the Papo T. Rex was Jewish.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Dinosaur-Menorah/112691091564?hash=item1a3ce9986c:g:N6wAAOSwImRYfssb

Simon

Best of all - on the 9th day, he becomes a Spinosaurus!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

stargatedalek

T. rex, bullet casings, and gold spray paint, now that's a true American festivity if I've ever seen one! ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: