News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Ravonium on April 11, 2018, 06:08:24 PM

Listen here you uninformed hoarder. Arm colour, as you should know already, can only be produced using lead-based paint  >:(

I think you will find that the uninformed person here is you, my has-no-avatar-so-has-no-face-I-can-make-a-witty-remark-about friend! You are actually thinking of Elbow colour ;)

side note, changed my personal text

CityRaptor

I thought it was specifically armpit color. Of course that also smells bad.

Anyways, German Amazon currently offers a bootleg of the Papo Running Rex for 13,99 Euro instead of 31,98 and another for 19,99. For comparism, the real deal costs 22,18 Euros there. So yeah, that junk is seriously overpriced.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 11, 2018, 11:23:48 PM
Anyways, German Amazon currently offers a bootleg of the Papo Running Rex for 13,99 Euro instead of 31,98 and another for 19,99. For comparism, the real deal costs 22,18 Euros there. So yeah, that junk is seriously overpriced.

I saw something like that on the US Ebay. Papo, Rebor, and Safari knockoffs all in one listing, all being sold for about $30 and up. In the product description the seller wrote something along the lines of "please don't compare our great items with other cheap ones, our items are high quality" and I just... xD

Syndicate Bias

I apologise for my part here earlier two weeks ago, won't happen again my bad guys

Archosauria

I've noticed that most knock-off figures cost as much as the authentic figures. More people might buy them if they were actually cheaper in price. I mean, if you're going to drop $40 on a knock-off of Papo's Baryonyx, then you might as well buy the real one. The only exception that I know of are the REBOR knock-offs, which are up to $75 cheaper than the official models.

Speaking of REBOR knock-offs, I've actually been thinking of buying a couple. I like some of REBORs models, but I don't have the money to buy any of them. So I could get two of the knock-offs that look nearly identical to REBORs offical models for a mere $20, rather than $70-$80 for one authentic one.

Talk me out of it, please. I don't want to fall into darkness. I don't want to stoop to that level.

Help.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Noiselessx

There is a website called alibaba.com, where you can order large number toys/figures knockoffs of pretty much any brand. They cost as much as 1 or 2 $ MAX per unit :D
I am a dino geek who rediscovered his passion for collecting figures yet again.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Archosauria on April 14, 2018, 07:10:27 AM
Speaking of REBOR knock-offs, I've actually been thinking of buying a couple. I like some of REBORs models, but I don't have the money to buy any of them. So I could get two of the knock-offs that look nearly identical to REBORs offical models for a mere $20, rather than $70-$80 for one authentic one.

Talk me out of it, please. I don't want to fall into darkness. I don't want to stoop to that level.

Help.

I've actually been doing just that. A few months ago a bought a knockoff Ceratosaurus  (granted it was repainted to look like the JP3 Cerato and was sold on Etsy), and a little less than a year ago I bought a knockoff Tenontosaurus carcass. I'm currently looking for a knockoff Yutyrannus that isn't attached to a base.

Noiselessx

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on April 14, 2018, 09:44:17 AM

Help.

I've actually been doing just that. A few months ago a bought a knockoff Ceratosaurus  (granted it was repainted to look like the JP3 Cerato and was sold on Etsy), and a little less than a year ago I bought a knockoff Tenontosaurus carcass. I'm currently looking for a knockoff Yutyrannus that isn't attached to a base.

Could you tell me if those knockoffs are worth getting, because I still have not seen them in person.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Noiselessx on April 14, 2018, 01:51:39 PM

Could you tell me if those knockoffs are worth getting, because I still have not seen them in person.

Depends on where you get them from because there a few manufacturers making knockoffs.

One I see all over Ebay is 'FloZ'. For the price they're actually kinda okay. I bought a Rebor Tenontosaurus carcass knockoff from them (here's what the knockoff carcass looks irl) for £8. If I bought it legitimately I would have had to spend £69.98, £44.99 for the head piece (which comes with an Acrocanthosaurus that I hate) then £24.99 for the body. So yeah, buying the knockoff was definitely worth it for me. They also sell a Ceratosaurus knockoff for £9, which I bought from someone on Etsy who repainted it to resemble the JP3 Ceratosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus knockoff, Carnotaurus knockoff (irl), and Utahraptor knockoff (though, for them, it's really bad).

Though the most knockoff-ed Rebor model I've seen is the Yutyrannus, I've seen it come in mini's and normal sized, though most, if not all, of the large versions are stuck to the base. There are also some pretty abysmal Y.rex knockoff's on Amazon 1, 2, 3, 4.

Though, if you want to find knock offs of any toys, just search the dinosaur name and the word "Jurassic", pretty much every knockoff dinosaur has "Jurassic" in the title, haha.

Noiselessx

@IrritatorRaji thank you for your indepth answer. Your Papo Acro looks awesome with that carcass.

Archosauria

Quote from: Noiselessx on April 14, 2018, 07:28:57 AM
There is a website called alibaba.com, where you can order large number toys/figures knockoffs of pretty much any brand. They cost as much as 1 or 2 $ MAX per unit :D
Oh goodness, really?! I've been on that website before and I've never come across any. I'll have to go look!
Thanks!
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Archosauria

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on April 14, 2018, 09:44:17 AM

Help.

Well, now knowing that other DTF members buy the knock-offs, I don't feel so bad wanting to do it  ;D
I've had my eyes set on the Ceratosaurus and the Carnotaurus.

I've seen the Tenontosaurus carcass knock-off on eBay. It looks pretty good. I've come across a few base-less Yutyrannus during my travels. Shouldn't be too hard to find another. I will put up the link for it if I find one.

-Steve Miller

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Archosauria on April 14, 2018, 08:13:22 PM
Here's one I found on Aliexpress that lacks the base and has a good paint scheme (for a knock-off, at least)

My goodness, it's horrifying

But it's definitely what I've been searching for. I've been wanting to repaint and add a proper plumage to the Rebor Yutyrannus for a while :D

IrritatorRaji

Was absolutely shocked to find so many PNSO figures on sale for just $11 all together

But upon closer inspection they are obviously fakes :P Somehow didn't think that PNSO would have knock offs made.

Ravonium

I've seen that exact knock-off of the Glyphoderma advertised on the forum before. Interesting how these cheap imitations spread  ::) 

stargatedalek

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on August 15, 2018, 01:27:52 PM
Was absolutely shocked to find so many PNSO figures on sale for just $11 all together

But upon closer inspection they are obviously fakes :P Somehow didn't think that PNSO would have knock offs made.

Do you have a link to the sale? This is a great opportunity for making some customs.

IrritatorRaji

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek

It's from Aliexpress, not sure if that's considered a reliable site, but you can always find knock offs there

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bIvp3MTQ

mgaguilar

Was looking through the Vitae 2018 assortment on Aliexpress, and this guy pops up.

What the heck is this?

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b1BOYdU4

I have no idea why Rebor gets ripped off so much. Also, this barely looks like the original Rebor sculpt.
Seems like all these bootleg sellers are just trying to capitalize off of the JW:FK hype. ::)

IrritatorRaji

That is the UGLIEST Rebor knock off I've ever seen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: