News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilSauria

That's quite an...abomination! Who would buy that? Can't see it developing quite the curiosity factor / 'cult' following that the Frankenstein's monster of a mash up Papo Spino-Barysaur generated. Now that was a bit of inspired bootlegging, if there is such a thing; this though...just keep walking, nothing to see here.

stargatedalek

Is that even the REBOR rex? Looks almost like one of the older CollectA ones scaled up with a new lower jaw.

Syndicate Bias

Nah it's some other company just painted to be like rebor's rex. Rebor posted about it on FB a year ago I believe it was the mojo red rex if I'm not mistaken

http://www.mojofun.eu/product/red-t-rex-hunting/

BrontoScorpio

Is this a bootleg  of SHINZEN's laying T-rex ? :
CAT-TOYS ??? - What the heck ?

CityRaptor

Well, that for sure does NOT look like something the cat dragged in.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Syndicate Bias

😒

stargatedalek

With that price tag I wouldn't be surprised if they just printed a new box and started reselling them. That's insane.

Lizerd

Wow, that is a nice bootleg figure. How did these bootlegs look so good???
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Ravonium

Quote from: Lizerd on August 30, 2018, 08:38:49 PM

Mainly because the model this bootleg is based on is already nice(r) :)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Lizerd on August 30, 2018, 08:38:49 PM
Probably a combination of things. They seem to be using high end materials, it's very large, and it doesn't suffer from bad paint jobs one expects from bootlegs.

Lizerd

That is so weird. In my time of all my hobbies where there is something main stream (nerf in particular) I have never seen a bootleg that looks like or is as well refined as the actual product, even if it in the rare case it preforms better (again nerf here) it just isn't as sound as the product. But this I throw everything out, it looks like an actual product. Are we SURE that this is bootleg???
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/

stargatedalek

Quote from: Lizerd on August 30, 2018, 09:09:28 PM
That is so weird. In my time of all my hobbies where there is something main stream (nerf in particular) I have never seen a bootleg that looks like or is as well refined as the actual product, even if it in the rare case it preforms better (again nerf here) it just isn't as sound as the product. But this I throw everything out, it looks like an actual product. Are we SURE that this is bootleg???
All we know for sure is that someone is stealing credit. At nearly $400 these could well be the real deal being resold.

Lizerd

Oh no, that's bad, that is really bad. Plagiarism and stealing credit isn't good. Someone should stop them

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Lizerd on August 30, 2018, 09:22:57 PM
Someone should stop them

I mean, while it's morally wrong I don't think it's illegal to do this most Asian countries (particularly not in Japan and China as most knockoffs seem to come from there). Also, while it is disrespectful to the artist to sell bootlegs of their work, it does at the very least give people a chance to sort-of own that product for a cheaper price. Not saying I agree with bootlegging, just saying that I can understand it from a buyers point of view.

Ravonium

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on August 30, 2018, 09:30:29 PM
I mean, while it's morally wrong I don't think it's illegal to do this most Asian countries (particularly not in Japan and China as most knockoffs seem to come from there).

In the case of China (I don't think knock-offs are nearly as prevalent of a problem in Japan, and there are definitely copyright laws there), there are copyright/IP laws, but I believe they have long had a history of poor enforcement, mainly thanks to local goverments in the country having variable interpretations and, as a result, enforcement of the laws, and a general lack of education about intellectual property rights in China, especially in the PRC.

Lizerd

Crap...  well what can we do? Other than destabilize all the world economies  :))

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Lizerd on August 30, 2018, 10:03:16 PM
Crap...  well what can we do?

Vote with your wallet.
Unfortunately there's no way to stop knock offs from being made as most still circumvent copyright laws. Knock offs have been a thing for hundreds of years, not just in the dinosaur model industry, and it's also unlikely that counterfeit models will ever die out because they support millions of jobs. I mean, producing knock offs isn't a noble job, but in some countries, you just gotta take what you're given, ya know?

Syndicate Bias

Looks pretty legit to be a bootleg is all I'm saying

I think people forget that there's always going to be people who buy knock offs regardless as there will always be buyers who will buy the real deal.

The way I see it. There will always be a market for both so as much as some of us disagree with it, there just won't be anything we can do to stop it, just buy the authentic pieces and support what you love

Lizerd

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on August 30, 2018, 10:29:18 PM
Quote from: Lizerd on August 30, 2018, 10:03:16 PM
Crap...  well what can we do?

they support millions of jobs. I mean, producing knock offs isn't a noble job, but in some countries, you just gotta take what you're given, ya know?
True, if we could figure out how to get rid of global issues no more bootlegs!
But I still will always be shocked on how good that bootleg is :D

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Lizerd on August 30, 2018, 11:33:48 PM
Quote from: IrritatorRaji on August 30, 2018, 10:29:18 PM
they support millions of jobs. I mean, producing knock offs isn't a noble job, but in some countries, you just gotta take what you're given, ya know?
True, if we could figure out how to get rid of global issues no more bootlegs!

Much easier said than done unfortunately

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: