News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Toy Blog changes

Started by DinoToyForum, April 12, 2012, 01:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: suspsy on July 20, 2018, 01:10:58 AM
Funny, it's showing up for all reviews save for the Papo Dimorphodon, which I posted today and is headlined at the top of the page. I guess that's just the result of the page format? Ah well, don't go breaking your back over it.

Yeah, that slider box is controlled by different more complicated code that is beyond me. I'll have to leave that one for now, but I'll look into it.

DinoToyForum

I spoke too soon! I worked it out. :))

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ITdactyl

I like the latest iteration.

Funny though, the slider box only has the Papo Dimorphodon... it's like "buy me" *swipe* "buy me" *swipe* "buy me!!!" *swipe* ... ;D

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ITdactyl on July 20, 2018, 03:45:03 AM
I like the latest iteration.

Funny though, the slider box only has the Papo Dimorphodon... it's like "buy me" *swipe* "buy me" *swipe* "buy me!!!" *swipe* ... ;D

I know. :)) I'd rather it just be a static image but I don't know how to make that so. When I removed the slider box completely the front page didn't look right. So, I compromised!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 19, 2018, 05:23:55 PM
The new Dinotoyblog theme provides an alternative option for displaying a page of reviews in the same category. Example...

The old way: http://dinotoyblog.com/genera/carnotaurus/

The new way: http://dinotoyblog.com/genus/dimetrodon/

Which do you prefer?

I plumped for the new way the end, with the exception of the author pages.

So, now, every genus has its own page (in this format: http://dinotoyblog.com/genus/estemmenosuchus/), but I still only included the most popular ones in the main and sidebar menus.

Also, now every company and animal group that has a category assigned for it has its own page: (in this format: http://dinotoyblog.com/category/jurassic-hunters/). Again, I only included the most popular ones in the main and sidebar menus.

All of the keywords below each review title link to these pages, too.

It should make it much easier to browse the reviews.

DinoToyForum

Halichoeres

That will definitely make it easier! Looks good.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Do we need to go back and edit our reviews now, or are these categories already added?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoToyForum

Quote from: suspsy on July 22, 2018, 03:14:01 PM
Do we need to go back and edit our reviews now, or are these categories already added?

I added reviews to the new categories manually. If I missed any or made any errors, feel free to edit yours accordingly.

Halichoeres

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 22, 2018, 05:40:34 PM

I added reviews to the new categories manually. If I missed any or made any errors, feel free to edit yours accordingly.

That sounds like quite a chore, thanks for going to the trouble. I note that the "pelycosaurs" page is 350% Dimetrodon.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 22, 2018, 07:25:17 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 22, 2018, 05:40:34 PM

That sounds like quite a chore, thanks for going to the trouble. I note that the "pelycosaurs" page is 350% Dimetrodon.

It wasn't too much trouble, I can add reviews to categories in bulk. :)

Haha, yeah, Dimetrodon is well represented. Sphenacodon and Edaphosaurus, less so.

Sim

Currently, viewing the "recent comments" section on the Dinosaur Toy Blog requires quite a bit of scrolling down, past things that are already linked to at the top of the page.  Was there a worthwhile reason for re-linking to "author pages", "top company pages", "top dino pages" and "top group pages" before "recent comments" which isn't viewable anywhere else?  If not, I'd be in favour of having the duplicated sections removed.  Otherwise, how does it sound if "recent comments" was moved higher up so that it's no longer underneath duplicated sections.

Another interesting unique section that is under all the duplicated sections is the "genera" section which I gather shows the number of DTB entries for genera after they reach more than a certain amount.  I hope that section stays.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on August 18, 2018, 12:46:38 AM
Currently, viewing the "recent comments" section on the Dinosaur Toy Blog requires quite a bit of scrolling down, past things that are already linked to at the top of the page.  Was there a worthwhile reason for re-linking to "author pages", "top company pages", "top dino pages" and "top group pages" before "recent comments" which isn't viewable anywhere else?  If not, I'd be in favour of having the duplicated sections removed.  Otherwise, how does it sound if "recent comments" was moved higher up so that it's no longer underneath duplicated sections.

Another interesting unique section that is under all the duplicated sections is the "genera" section which I gather shows the number of DTB entries for genera after they reach more than a certain amount.  I hope that section stays.

I'll consider this.

---

I culled all the early 'generic' reviews from the blog. The ones with just a paragraph and one image. They were posted before we found our identity and I decided they didn't fit with our current style or do the figures justice.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 02, 2018, 06:44:15 PM

I culled all the early 'generic' reviews from the blog. The ones with just a paragraph and one image. They were posted before we found our identity and I decided they didn't fit with our current style or do the figures justice.

I definitely appreciate this, it was always a little disappointing to see a review for a figure I was thinking of buying, only to see the review consisted of one photo and few sentences :P

Josesaurus rex

A moment ago I entered the blog to see something, and I found that it is not possible to see it. Is it because of these changes that are mentioned here?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Josesaurus rex on September 10, 2018, 10:57:10 PM
A moment ago I entered the blog to see something, and I found that it is not possible to see it. Is it because of these changes that are mentioned here?

Depends what it is you expected to see!?

Josesaurus rex

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 10, 2018, 11:07:35 PM
Quote from: Josesaurus rex on September 10, 2018, 10:57:10 PM

Depends what it is you expected to see!?

I just wanted to read the blog articles, see what there is and that, what I usually do. I opened a tab from Chrome and that's it. I had never seen it, and that always comes out now, I've tried it several times. Here I enclose a screenshot so you can see what I get

DinoToyForum

What is the full url you are trying to access and what does that error message say?  O:-)

Josesaurus rex

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 10, 2018, 11:31:23 PM
What is the full url you are trying to access and what does that error message say?  O:-)

Now yes, I'm sorry but I did not notice that the translator was activated.

dinotoyblog in Google and that's it. I see the forum well, but the blog is not strange. I will check from the cell phone now and I will notify you.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: