News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Tyrannosaurus rex museum class replica official photos updated!

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, October 30, 2014, 04:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meso-Cenozoic

From a link the REBOR guys posted sometime back, I'm seeing the US price being $65 not $53....

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=2206&category=6143

Is there somewhere else cheaper for US buyers?

Also, I keep hearing a lot of price comparisons to Sideshow. But Sideshow's statues are so much bigger! Their newest T. rex is more than twice this guy's length and nearly twice as tall. Sideshow's casting material of high-quality polystone also makes it much heavier. 20lbs. to REBOR's 3lbs of PVC. You're also paying for some big name paleoartists at Sideshow. I still think the quality of the REBOR"S sculpt is more comparable to Papo than Sideshow. But on the flip side, I do understand people who are saying they're able to afford some of these very nice statues compared to Sideshow's costs. I just think because of their differences I listed, they're apples and oranges. 8)

tyrantqueen

I'm more interested in what they have to offer for their "Club Selection" line. It has the potential to be a bit more interesting to me.

petebuster1

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on January 06, 2015, 07:53:10 AM
From a link the REBOR guys posted sometime back, I'm seeing the US price being $65 not $53....

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=2206&category=6143

Also, I keep hearing a lot of price comparisons to Sideshow. But Sideshow's statues are so much bigger! Their newest T. rex is more than twice this guy's length and nearly twice as tall. Sideshow's casting material of high-quality polystone also makes it much heavier. 20lbs. to REBOR's 3lbs of PVC. You're also paying for some big name paleoartists at Sideshow. I still think the quality of the REBOR"S sculpt is more comparable to Papo than Sideshow. But on the flip side, I do understand people who are saying they're able to afford some of these very nice statues compared to Sideshow's costs. I just think because of their differences I listed, they're apples and oranges. 8)

petebuster1

Big name paleoartists? i doubt many would have even heard of them unless its your thing,personally i dont care who's painted them its how not who that's important. sideshow are very expensive to replace should you damage one which wouldn't be difficult, its still only polystone not bronze. They are fantastic pieces admittedly but still expensive and you need a lot of display space. Yes they are twice the size and also six or more times as expensive.
Put a Rebor next to a papo and they are miles apart and lets not forget they've only produced 2 so far with plenty to come so how good they are is yet to be seen but i think and hope will be pleasantly surprised

Sim

What's currently known of Yutyrannus' feathering comes from 3 Yutyrannus specimens, each showing feathers on different parts of their body.  On the adult specimen feathers were found on the foot and pelvis.  The Yutyrannus Wikipedia page describes what's currently known about Yutyrannus' feathering very comprehensively, under the "Feathers" section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yutyrannus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 06, 2015, 10:44:12 AM
Big name paleoartists? i doubt many would have even heard of them unless its your thing,personally i dont care who's painted them its how not who that's important. sideshow are very expensive to replace should you damage one which wouldn't be difficult, its still only polystone not bronze. They are fantastic pieces admittedly but still expensive and you need a lot of display space. Yes they are twice the size and also six or more times as expensive.
Put a Rebor next to a papo and they are miles apart and lets not forget they've only produced 2 so far with plenty to come so how good they are is yet to be seen but i think and hope will be pleasantly surprised

Let me clear up one misconception, it's not about paint. Steve Riojas paints the prototype pieces you see, the actual ones are painted by Asian factory artists just like the Papo and Rebor pieces. Now the catch is the Sideshow pieces are actually sculpted by top paleo-artists. People who have researched and know what an animal should look like. The have the credentials. As artists they are also not copying others work, they have their own unique style while still retaining accuracy. It's really the cream of the crop for a dinosaur collector. Same with model kits like Shane Foulkes work.

amargasaurus cazaui

I guess while we are hammering out conceptions lets also hit on research. I keep hearing that word attached to Rebor ad their ads and public annoucements. Now unless the concept of what makes up research has changed since the last time I wrote somethig for publication , that means you look at as much information about a topic as possible before proceeding. You then apply this research to your work to obtain a research influenced final product . That is how it works....
Reaserch for anything Yutyrannus would state quite clearly covered like a French Poodle in feathers everywhere, period. This is not an ambigous nor debateable fact, it is the established fossil science. There is no room for wishy washy mighta coulda woulda...the dinosaur was heavily feathered, wether I , rebor or the general public likes it or not.
I personnaly do not care for theropods so rebor has done me zero favors so far and pandered to the "awesome bro" crowd with all three of their newest releases. The only hope I had for some sanity...a nicely reasearched hatchling figure, went out with the window with an egg far too small, shaped incorrectly and with no ornamentation......all things a little of that solid reasearch we keep hearing about might have actually solved. And then just to add to the wonder, it is limited release, ala sideshow, at Christmas, like a tree ornament......well you get the picture. The research being done is how to gimmick, trick and toy with marketing, not with the sculpts, sorry
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Megalosaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 06, 2015, 02:13:09 AM
[...]so in no way is their tyrannosaurus conservative. [...]
(italics mine)
I appreciate your comments, but I was talking about the Yutyrannus.
And I don't have problem with a fully feathered Yutyrannus, but to be honest I don't like the way Safari restored it, looks like scally theropod with a fluffy pijama.

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on January 06, 2015, 07:53:10 AM
[...]
[...]
Everything Dinosaur has it for £38.99

Quote from: Sim on January 06, 2015, 01:16:46 PM
[...]The Yutyrannus Wikipedia page describes what's currently known about Yutyrannus' feathering very comprehensively, under the "Feathers" section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yutyrannus

Quoting the wiki provided:
[...]The feathers covered various parts of the body. [...]the pelvis [...] the foot [...] the tail [...] the neck and [...] the upper arm. Based on this distribution, they may have covered the whole body[...]
I still haven't received my Y-Rex Yutyrannus, but for the pics you can say there are feathers in almost every part that the fossils shows them (minus the feet).

Oh and of curse the wiki author is honest stating this:
[...]However, scaly skin impressions have been reported from various Late Cretaceous tyrannosaurids (such as Gorgosaurus, Tarbosaurus and Tyrannosaurus) on parts of the body where Yutyrannus was feathered. Since there is no positive evidence for plumage in tyrannosaurids, some researchers have suggested they may have evolved scales secondarily.[6] If scaly skin was the dominant epidermal trait of later genera, then the extent and nature of the integumentary covering may have changed over time in response to body size, a warmer climate, or other factors.[2]
And that is no "awesomebro" talk, are facts that anyone can research in more reliable sources than wikipedia of course. But I'm just using the page you provided.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

tyrantqueen

QuoteBig name paleoartists? i doubt many would have even heard of them unless its your thing,personally i dont care who's painted them its how not who that's important. sideshow are very expensive to replace should you damage one which wouldn't be difficult, its still only polystone not bronze. They are fantastic pieces admittedly but still expensive and you need a lot of display space. Yes they are twice the size and also six or more times as expensive.
If you hang around in the paleoart community like many of us on here do, the names of the sculptors who created the SS pieces will be extremely familiar. For example, Jorge Blanco has worked with Jose Bonaparte (an Argentinian paleontologist) so he is quite knowledgeable about how dinosaurs should be sculpted.

Amargasaurus, you summed up my feelings towards Rebor's claims pretty succinctly.

postsaurischian

I don't care about REBOR's (or any other manufacturer's) claims.
I just care about what I like :).
I would still have bought REBOR's Tyrannosaurus even if they had named it Triceratops - just not sure if I'd keep the box then ;D.

stargatedalek

Oh my bad, I had thought you(/we) were discussing the tyrannosaurus.
When I mentioned "awesomebro" I wasn't referring to having scales, but rather to the Jurassic Park influences and spines ;)

I have to agree with you in regards to the safari yutyrannus, while I definitely think its a very accurate (and worth having) sculpt the feathering bothers me also. I think its most likely that it was that extensively feathered but they hug the body to closely, these were very loose and fibrous feathers after all, I'd expect them to hang down and obscure the animals form, more comparable to an emu as opposed to those on the safari yutyrannus, which as you said almost appear like clothing.

Accuracy is only one aspect of a figure, something can be a great sculpt and be entirely inaccurate. The only reason that its such a controversy with REBOR in particular is because of how they market themselves.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 06, 2015, 08:07:57 PM
I don't care about REBOR's (or any other manufacturer's) claims.
I just care about what I like :).
I would still have bought REBOR's Tyrannosaurus even if they had named it Triceratops - just not sure if I'd keep the box then ;D.
Ony thing wrong with that is they would have named it T- rexeratop !!!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stargatedalek

I'm calling it now, utahraptor is going to be Raptor - Rex (or Rex - Raptor) :P

Patrx

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 06, 2015, 11:03:44 PM

I'm betting on just "Raptor". Maybe a silly nickname to go with it. Also, probably some melodramatic copy on the packaging describing the animal character as a hyper-inteligent, stealthy pack-hunter.

Mind you, I certainly hope I'm wrong. Perhaps I'm just being pessimistic!

CityRaptor

Or maybe U-Raptor.

Well, there is a dinosaur named Raptorex, but it might be a juvenile Tarbosaurus, and googling "Rex Raptor" brought up this guy:
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Rex_Raptor

So that would be a bad idea...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoLord

I don't take much offense to the fact that Rebor produces inaccurate models because they do make a good product that is aesthetically appealing and enjoyed by many. However I do wish that they wouldn't use claims of museum-quality and highly researched accuracy without substantiating them - it just serves to perpetuate common misconceptions that people in the paleo community work so hard to dispel.

Paleogene Pals

As far as paleoartists go, it is very important to me who the artist is behind the resin and vinyl kits I collect, besides scale. If it is from Sean Cooper, Lu Feng Shan, Shane Foulkes, Keith Strasser to name just a few, I know I am getting a good, fairly accurate model. And, they will be very artistically pleasing.  I even have preferred artists for painting my pieces, such as Martin. So, to me, these things do matter.

Manatee

I wouldn't be surprised if it were U-Rex.
REBOR's models shouldn't be titled "museum class" if they're going to forsake accuracy, similar to Geoworld or CollectA in its early days. "Cinema class" would be much better suited towards their style; I really hope they go the way of CollectA or even Papo and start making accurate models. If so, they would be amazing, given REBOR's quality and their not-too-exorbitant prices.

Meso-Cenozoic

With some of my posts on REBOR, it might appear that I don't care for them at all. Actually, not the case. Believe it or not, REBOR"S rex was one of my 10 choices on the T. rex poll page. I think there's some really nice attention to details. So aesthetically, overall I like their pieces. I do, like some others, have some concerns with their claims of museum-quality and highly researched accuracy. But still not enough to outweigh their artistic appeal, at least for me, anyway.

What I mainly don't like are their prices. I personally don't think they're worth their asking price. BTW, thanks Megalosaurus for the E.D. price. I had seen that too. Unfortunately, that's still $60 USD plus shipping costs from England to the States. It just adds up to too much IMHO. I would buy up either of their theropods in a NY minute if the prices were more reasonable. REBOR reminds me of these little trendy shops that exist here in NYC in our areas like Soho and Tribeca, or when I lived in LA, Melrose Avenue. It's not that they don't have nice things, it's just that you can find similar things for much less elsewhere. I bet if you'd take away the designer packaging and even nix the bases (I'm not a big base person anyway. And what I've heard on more than one review, the rex base isn't that great looking in person and he doesn't stand real solidly on it either.), if you'd simply have the figures, you could easily ask closer to $40 for the rex and $25 for the Yutyrannus, USD. I'd more than happily have them in my collection then.

But hey, in the end, art is in the eye of the beholder, right? I've also paid more than what others would have paid for something I really wanted in my collections. (Yes, I have more than just my prehistoric figure collection. So I have to spread my monies very carefully. And being a musician, my income has more ups and downs than a roller coaster. :P ) But for a Xmas present to myself, I finally got a Tamiya Brachiosaurus. I had wanted one for years, but could never talk myself into spending the asking prices. I also didn't really want to get back in to model making either. And this particular one had everything I wanted. It was already meticulously put together using the same optional pieces I would have and had an asking price of only $45. Now some others might still think that's too high. So my point being, there's always going to be someone who doesn't think something is worth its asking price. But for those of you who don't have a problem with REBOR"S prices, enjoy. You got yourselves some pretty pieces. :)

petebuster1

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 06, 2015, 07:07:43 PM
QuoteBig name paleoartists? i doubt many would have even heard of them unless its your thing,personally i dont care who's painted them its how not who that's important. sideshow are very expensive to replace should you damage one which wouldn't be difficult, its still only polystone not bronze. They are fantastic pieces admittedly but still expensive and you need a lot of display space. Yes they are twice the size and also six or more times as expensive.
If you hang around in the paleoart community like many of us on here do, the names of the sculptors who created the SS pieces will be extremely familiar. For example, Jorge Blanco has worked with Jose Bonaparte (an Argentinian paleontologist) so he is quite knowledgeable about how dinosaurs should be sculpted.

Amargasaurus, you summed up my feelings towards Rebor's claims pretty succinctly.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: