News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Tyrannosaurus rex museum class replica official photos updated!

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, October 30, 2014, 04:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petebuster1

If you hang around in the paleoart community like many of us on here do, the names of the sculptors who created the SS pieces will be extremely familiar. For example, Jorge Blanco has worked with Jose Bonaparte (an Argentinian paleontologist) so he is quite knowledgeable about how dinosaurs should be sculpted.

Amargasaurus, you summed up my feelings towards Rebor's claims pretty succinctly.

I've bought sideshow peices and may well buy the triceratops which looks to be their best piece imo along with the tyrant king but i have ever looked at the artists? NO because it doesn't matter, bully hoo they are great at what they do but their names mean nothing. If they do to you that's fine, who cares? Not important, i doubt anyone buys a peice on who painted it
I've been contacting Rebor with a few queries but am lacking any response so not impressed, one was asking if they are going to have a website rather than facebook  and no sign of the next announcement either, Not looking to impressive for a new company. I do like their t-rex but i did suggest an accurate one in the future but its seems no ones at home??????????

petebuster1

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on January 07, 2015, 03:41:59 AM
With some of my posts on REBOR, it might appear that I don't care for them at all. Actually, not the case. Believe it or not, REBOR"S rex was one of my 10 choices on the T. rex poll page. I think there's some really nice attention to details. So aesthetically, overall I like their pieces. I do, like some others, have some concerns with their claims of museum-quality and highly researched accuracy. But still not enough to outweigh their artistic appeal, at least for me, anyway.

What I mainly don't like are their prices. I personally don't think they're worth their asking price. BTW, thanks Megalosaurus for the E.D. price. I had seen that too. Unfortunately, that's still $60 USD plus shipping costs from England to the States. It just adds up to too much IMHO. I would buy up either of their theropods in a NY minute if the prices were more reasonable. REBOR reminds me of these little trendy shops that exist here in NYC in our areas like Soho and Tribeca, or when I lived in LA, Melrose Avenue. It's not that they don't have nice things, it's just that you can find similar things for much less elsewhere. I bet if you'd take away the designer packaging and even nix the bases (I'm not a big base person anyway. And what I've heard on more than one review, the rex base isn't that great looking in person and he doesn't stand real solidly on it either.), if you'd simply have the figures, you could easily ask closer to $40 for the rex and $25 for the Yutyrannus, USD. I'd more than happily have them in my collection then.

But hey, in the end, art is in the eye of the beholder, right? I've also paid more than what others would have paid for something I really wanted in my collections. (Yes, I have more than just my prehistoric figure collection. So I have to spread my monies very carefully. And being a musician, my income has more ups and downs than a roller coaster. :P ) But for a Xmas present to myself, I finally got a Tamiya Brachiosaurus. I had wanted one for years, but could never talk myself into spending the asking prices. I also didn't really want to get back in to model making either. And this particular one had everything I wanted. It was already meticulously put together using the same optional pieces I would have and had an asking price of only $45. Now some others might still think that's too high. So my point being, there's always going to be someone who doesn't think something is worth its asking price. But for those of you who don't have a problem with REBOR"S prices, enjoy. You got yourselves some pretty pieces. :)

I think Rebor prices are great value but then i'm talking from the UK, it makes a change for us to have a company that makes dinosaur models so i guess with the costs of shipping to the U S and still trying to make a profit it may reflect prices outside the UK

Paleogene Pals

Dyscrasia

I am just going to stick to Sideshow for "Museum quality" models  ???

Saurian

similar to the influx of bots in the topic,all they  joined in December  :P I could be wrong :-X
Soory,my English is poor

petebuster1

Quote from: Dyscrasia on January 08, 2015, 02:28:00 PM
I am just going to stick to Sideshow for "Museum quality" models  ???

Very nice collection, i'm not that impressed with some of them in terms of subject matter and/or pose, for me i'll only pay that amount for something that really appeals

petebuster1

Rebor have now contacted me and i promised not to divulge anything it all looks promising and news will be out shortly

tyrantqueen

QuoteI've bought sideshow peices and may well buy the triceratops which looks to be their best piece imo along with the tyrant king but i have ever looked at the artists? NO because it doesn't matter, bully hoo they are great at what they do but their names mean nothing. If they do to you that's fine, who cares? Not important, i doubt anyone buys a peice on who painted it

I'm not talking about who painted it, I'm not sure why you keep bringing that up. I'm specifically talking about the sculptor. Sometimes it is important if a model is claiming museum accuracy that the artist has "credentials". Especially for a very costly line like SS.

If we see a name like David Krentz or Shane Foulkes, we do have some assurance that the end product will be high quality, because those artists are well known in the community for their sculpting skill and adherence to scientific accuracy :)

Let me ask you this: would you go to watch a film if you knew Steven Spielberg had directed it? Or if Stan Winston had created the special effects? Would you have the same level of expectation for its quality if Joe Bloggs down the street had directed it?

QuoteI am just going to stick to Sideshow for "Museum quality" models
Me too.

petebuster1

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 08, 2015, 04:53:23 PM
QuoteI've bought sideshow peices and may well buy the triceratops which looks to be their best piece imo along with the tyrant king but i have ever looked at the artists? NO because it doesn't matter, bully hoo they are great at what they do but their names mean nothing. If they do to you that's fine, who cares? Not important, i doubt anyone buys a peice on who painted it

I'm not talking about who painted it, I'm not sure why you keep bringing that up. I'm specifically talking about the sculptor. Sometimes it is important if a model is claiming museum accuracy that the artist has "credentials". Especially for a very costly line like SS.

If we see a name like David Krentz or Shane Foulkes, we do have some assurance that the end product will be high quality, because those artists are well known in the community for their sculpting skill and adherence to scientific accuracy :)

Let me ask you this: would you go to watch a film if you knew Steven Spielberg had directed it? Or if Stan Winston had created the special effects? Would you have the same level of expectation for its quality if Joe Bloggs down the street had directed it?

QuoteI am just going to stick to Sideshow for "Museum quality" models
Me too.

Talking about films and model making is like talking about chalk and cheese, i've known a few great model making artists that could equally do as well as the sideshow artists and you wouldn't know them from Adam, but as i already stated i dont care its the end result that's important.
  As far as accuracy goes there's one and a most important accuracy  that sideshow or anyone else can't get right and that's what colour they were, there is no proof and never will be, so its all guess work. Their wonderful Triceratops though i love the colour depiction is proberly totally wrong so why people go on about sideshow being so accurate is ridiculous, unless the artists at sideshow have seen a living one. Maybe they have a live one in their studio :) ;) For many it's the colour rendition that makes a model and i do think for this one they've made a wonderful job but it's totally different from their tri/t rex fighting model so where's the accuracy?? I was going to buy that particular model but the blood work painting was rather poor for such great artists so not worth money i would expect better

Paleogene Pals

Actually, I care about who makes my cheese. You get the wrong cheese make and whoo boy  :P, ditto for chalk. 

petebuster1

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on January 08, 2015, 11:38:19 PM
Actually, I care about who makes my cheese. You get the wrong cheese make and whoo boy  :P, ditto for chalk.

depends what cheese, there's a lot ;D

Gwangi

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 08, 2015, 11:12:43 PM
Talking about films and model making is like talking about chalk and cheese, i've known a few great model making artists that could equally do as well as the sideshow artists and you wouldn't know them from Adam, but as i already stated i dont care its the end result that's important.
  As far as accuracy goes there's one and a most important accuracy  that sideshow or anyone else can't get right and that's what colour they were, there is no proof and never will be, so its all guess work. Their wonderful Triceratops though i love the colour depiction is proberly totally wrong so why people go on about sideshow being so accurate is ridiculous, unless the artists at sideshow have seen a living one. Maybe they have a live one in their studio :) ;) For many it's the colour rendition that makes a model and i do think for this one they've made a wonderful job but it's totally different from their tri/t rex fighting model so where's the accuracy?? I was going to buy that particular model but the blood work painting was rather poor for such great artists so not worth money i would expect better

Hey Petebuster, welcome to the site! I don't think you've introduced yourself to the members here yet? Anyway, I'm just curious as to why all of your posts are in the REBOR thread? Maybe you should think about checking out some of the other threads too. Maybe start one to introduce yourself or share your collection? You do collect model dinosaurs aside from the two REBOR have produced right?

Saurian

Quote from: Gwangi on January 09, 2015, 01:55:01 AM

Hey Petebuster, welcome to the site! I don't think you've introduced yourself to the members here yet? Anyway, I'm just curious as to why all of your posts are in the REBOR thread? Maybe you should think about checking out some of the other threads too. Maybe start one to introduce yourself or share your collection? You do collect model dinosaurs aside from the two REBOR have produced right?

is suspicious...
Soory,my English is poor

triceratops83

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on January 08, 2015, 11:38:19 PM

I had a tomato and chalk sandwich the other day, and I'll tell you, I won't buy that brand of chalk again. Too cheesy.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Arul

There is no way we can change people taste. Every sculpture have different style. For example, Papo give the priority to the "handsomeness" of the figure, collecta give the priority to the "accuracy" of the figure. We chose what we like

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Saurian on January 09, 2015, 02:48:50 AM

is suspicious...

Gwangi.... profile of a dinosaur, but clever as a fox! ;)

Arul... CollectA = accuracy? ???

Arul

petebuster1

I've collected and used to paint models myself some time ago but due to lack of time i sold all my collections, its something i missed so have just started collecting again

Dobber

I just got several figures in the mail including this Tyrannosaurus (also got the The large Sega Dino King Tyrannosaurus, Kaiyodo Yutyrannus,  classic Rex, and The special edition Feathered Rex...all awesome but sooo small!) Nothing really new to add that hasn't been said already. About the Rebor.  I think it is beautiful! The paint and finish are gorgeous, I LOVE the coloring of this piece. I do also agree with what others have said, that this is in some ways a missed opportunity for Rebor...to set themselves apart. I'm 39 years old and have been a life long fan of this dinosaur. I have been able to see many different incarnations of them (looking forward to CollectA's theoretical feathered Rex Lin a few months....so I'm no particular fan of the JP Rex nor am I against it either.  It seems as though there is a whole generation of new dinosaur-files that where born from that movie and thus are attached to that design esthetic. It's just that there are so many replicas emulating it that it would have been nice to see something a little more...different or "scientific". I obviously don't dislike the JP rex design as I bought this and already have a Papo, but I think Rebor has the talent and could've really done something special with their talent.

At any rate, it is a GORGEOUS replica and a welcome addition to my growing collection. Good job Rebor, I hope to see more great replicas in the future. One nit picky thing I did notice, though, is I CAN see seems on my model, 1 extending behind the thigh to the base of the tail, another running the length of the underside of the tail, and another around the bottom of the left foot. I only mention this as it was advertised as seamless and others have said it as well...really no big deal to me.

Finally, after reading all the Rebor threads, and not wanting to stir up more crap, but, maybe instead of phrasing it as a "museum" quality replica and maybe instead use "High" Quality, they may be able to avoid some of the critisism that they have received. Just a thought.  ;)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

petebuster1

Quote from: Saurian on January 09, 2015, 02:48:50 AM

is suspicious...
suspicious????????? about what? having opinions lol

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: