You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nasutoceratops vs.Nasutoceratops vs.Nasutoceratops

Started by Concavenator, December 09, 2014, 06:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Nasutoceratops model you prefer?

Wild Safari
26 (46.4%)
CollectA
5 (8.9%)
Battat
25 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Rathalosaurus

Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The links are only temporary, we'll have better pics later on at any rate. :)

Shonisaurus

Bokisaurus Thanks for the pictures are wonderful. However although I really like the Nasutoceratops of Collecta I prefer Safari difference with me is more in line with paleontological research.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Aww, guess I'm too late to the party to see the Battat preview. Oh well.

Btw, I don't get why some people have such distaste for Collecta's "tribal warpaint". Isn't the paleontological consensus these days that ceratopsian shields were for display first and defense second? Consequently, I think most ceratopsian toys (and artwork for that matter) are generally not colorful enough. I'm usually disappointed if a ceratopsian toy doesn't at least have some sort of "eyespots" on the frill like you sometimes see in Chasmosaurus reconstructions.

Patrx

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on April 05, 2015, 05:40:37 PM
Aww, guess I'm too late to the party to see the Battat preview. Oh well.

Btw, I don't get why some people have such distaste for Collecta's "tribal warpaint". Isn't the paleontological consensus these days that ceratopsian shields were for display first and defense second? Consequently, I think most ceratopsian toys (and artwork for that matter) are generally not colorful enough. I'm usually disappointed if a ceratopsian toy doesn't at least have some sort of "eyespots" on the frill like you sometimes see in Chasmosaurus reconstructions.

I think, with CollectA, what some people don't like is the use of similar colors and patterns on different animals. For example, the CollectA Parasaurolophus, Deinocheirus, and Carcharadontosaurus all have white and blue stripes on their faces. Also, it can be tough for complex designs to look good on mass-produced, factory-painted toys. They do sometimes come out looking a little like, well, streaks of paint. Maybe that's part of the issue?

I think the patterns on the new Nasutoceratops are great! I'm with you, some kind of design or color is preferable for ceratopsian frills in order to be consistent with the currently popular display hypothesis. It doesn't have to be eyespots, though those are cool.

amargasaurus cazaui

The colors and patterns for me are not a make or break...I find that within artistic license and quite possible given the multitude of brightly colored birds and reptiles that exist. I am actually fond of the colors and patterns used for the Large Parasaurolophus, that was done. In fact I felt that particular model was excellent .I could get along with their ceratopsian dinosaurs if they could just get the hands and feet right and somehow rethink a way to show the quills so they are more....in touch with what might be plausible.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Arul

my vote is for safari. i love the sculp  but the paint...honestly when the first time i see the WS nasuto figure in FB i thought that was an in progress customed figure. the pict of ws nasuto in catalog is great but the real figure is far from same with the catalog.hope WS repaint it someday just like papo vraptor   :)

Kayakasaurus

The Safari is going to be REALLY hard to beat but I'm really excited about seeing the Battat! I can't  believe  it was on here and I missed it! No body thought to take a screen shot??  I Don't have high expectations for the paint job though, if it's anything like the Pachy
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

bruno

I prefer the paint pose and size of the collecta,the safari is excellent to but the yellow stripe aren't very good so overall it's collecta for me, will have see what battat has to offer

Dinoguy2

As a big scale nerd, I appreciate the fact that the Collecta figure is closer to 1:40... not sure if Battat's will be, since the Terra line is meant to be all a similar size according to Dan... Nasutoceratops is a pretty small-mid sized ceratopsian and would be dwarfed by a large Pachyrhinosaurus at 1:40. A properly scaled version would be about the size of the Battat Styracosaurs, which seems too small for the Terra series.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Quen

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 08, 2015, 02:12:40 PM
As a big scale nerd, I appreciate the fact that the Collecta figure is closer to 1:40... not sure if Battat's will be, since the Terra line is meant to be all a similar size according to Dan... Nasutoceratops is a pretty small-mid sized ceratopsian and would be dwarfed by a large Pachyrhinosaurus at 1:40. A properly scaled version would be about the size of the Battat Styracosaurs, which seems too small for the Terra series.

All the new Battats are in 1:40. The size limits set by Battat limits the species Dan can sculpt because he wants them all to be in 1:40, like the originals.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Quendrega on April 08, 2015, 10:53:46 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 08, 2015, 02:12:40 PM

All the new Battats are in 1:40. The size limits set by Battat limits the species Dan can sculpt because he wants them all to be in 1:40, like the originals.

Ah, ok. I thought the Nasutoceratops was for Terra, and I remember Dan mentioning that they wanted all of those in roughly the same size class (hence a dwarf sauropod).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

amargasaurus cazaui

These images are being provided courtesy of Dan....they are not my own, so reference any/all comments in the proper direction, thanks. Obviously you are viewing the original resin master for the Nasutoceratops, painted.
I am responsible for the final two shots, to give a nice comparison against the Safari piece which I do have and just recently pictured for my own autograph thread anyway. I did not purchase the collecta so if someone wishes to throw a few shots of it up there as well, I would defintely state that as fair play. I would have done so myself if I owned the model.

I did wish to add that Dan stated the glossy or sheen look would flatten out for the production pieces, which would be my first question naturally

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Shonisaurus

Is Nasutoceratops of Battat? For me it is much better than Safari.

It's a lucky person who has it.

loru1588

Thanks for the assistance amargasaurus cazaui !!!

amargasaurus cazaui

The pictures ARE the Battat Nasutoceratops, and noone as far as I know has it. I simply posted the pictures of the prototype painted for my friend Dan. It remains unreleased

You are welcome Dan, I am always here to help you where needed.

loru1588

To clarify, this is THE paint master that I will be sending to Battat as soon as I finish cleaning up the 3 resin masters for the new Terra Series / Dan LoRusso Collection Nasutoceratops. Hopefully, if my Radiation treatments run smooth, Battat will have this & the resins before the end of the month. And I have NO idea when this or any of the other Terra Series or repainted MOS Series will be released. That's above my pay grade!! Thanks for looking!

suspsy

I still like the CollectA's colour scheme the best, but all three of these models look fabulous. Well done, Dan!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Patrx

Quen

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 09, 2015, 01:19:51 PM

Ah, ok. I thought the Nasutoceratops was for Terra, and I remember Dan mentioning that they wanted all of those in roughly the same size class (hence a dwarf sauropod).

It is for Terra. Battat's size limits for the Terra series are only on the actual figure, not the species or scale. The 1:40 scale was Dan's decision. He could've sculpted any species in whatever scale necessary for the figure to meet Battat's figure size requirements, but he decided to make them all 1:40 (so that they fit in with the Boston MOS set), which limited his species choices to a certain size class in order for the figure to meet the size requirements set by Battat.

Also, the Nasutoceratops looks great!! And I rather like the colors!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: