News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, December 18, 2014, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: anchry6 on January 18, 2015, 02:55:59 AM
Quote from: Takama on January 18, 2015, 01:06:27 AM
Quote from: mpchi on January 18, 2015, 12:56:53 AM
I am among the ones that felt a bit disappointed with the Papo Apatosaurus size. Its been such a long wait for Papo to finally make my favorite dino in their toyline. But now knowing that it is at the length of 37cm, my excitement on its upcoming release has taken a slight hit. While I am still very much anticipating for its release, I figured the torso of Apatosaurus would resembles the closest to size of the Papo Triceratops. So I have mocked up a scaled image to show how big the Apatosaurus stack up against the Triceratops and the Brachiosaurus (with minor measurement adjustments base on the angle of the photos used and measuring the figures in hand at such angles). Hope it helps to visualize how big/small the guy is.

Wow that's a real Disapointment

I really do not understand your disappointment and the considerations of the many people. Indeed, if we assume that the type species (Apatosaurus ajax) then it seems perfectly in scale 1:40. So, it is perfectly compatible with the Triceratops.

:D

It's not an A.Ajax. If based on the Sideshow piece I believe that is A. Louisae .

Apatosaurus IS bigger than Triceratops..at least by a bit:

I'm going to dub it a juvenile A.Louisae.

Shadowknight1

Welp.  Gonna be passing on Papo this year.  Not that I don't like Apatosaurus, but I don't have shelf space to devote to a dinosaur that's not one of my favorites.  And the pterosaur is pretty meh to me.  Was hoping for another feathered therapod, like a new version of a dromeosaur or maybe even a Giganatosaurus or Acrocanthosaurus.  But we didn't get either.

Gonna be honest.  When I first got Papo's Velociraptor, T. rex, and Allosaurus, they became a company I expected great things from.  The running rex was great and better than the tripod standing rex in every way.  Archaeopteryx is awesome too.  Then came Dilophosaurus, my most anticipated dinosaur figure EVER.  The pictures made it look fantastic.  Then the figure came out and...well, he's leaning to his right, holding his weight on his right arm like a cripple.  I tried the hot water trick to make him stand up straighter, but he eventually drooped back down.  I love how he looks, but that one bit rather makes me wary of Papo now.  Great figure dragged down by a bad pose.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

dragon53

One defining characteristic of the Apatosaurus is its huge size---but Papo released a young Apatosaurus that doesn't fully utilize that huge size.

Blade-of-the-Moon

If the length was the issue..they should have just went ahead and went the Battat route and made a rearing version.

tyrantqueen

If the size estimates are to be believed, then the Apato is something of a disappointment. For me the real stand out figure is the Tupuxuara. If it's as good in person as the promo shots suggest, it'll be one of my top figures of 2015, along with the CollectA Tyrannosaurus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's smaller, but it will go well with the Sideshow Apato as a juvenile.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on January 18, 2015, 04:13:52 AM
Welp.  Gonna be passing on Papo this year.  Not that I don't like Apatosaurus, but I don't have shelf space to devote to a dinosaur that's not one of my favorites.  And the pterosaur is pretty meh to me.

I disagree with your assessment. The Pterosaur is not 'meh' by any means  :o ???

It is only the very best representation of Tupuxuara, or any pterosaur for that matter, in toy form :P

tanystropheus

Gonna be honest.  When I first got Papo's Velociraptor, T. rex, and Allosaurus, they became a company I expected great things from.

Papo has been consistent in quality over the years. If anything, they are actually paying more attention to accuracy which is certainly a good thing for collectors.  The only problem is that they have decreased the number of models per year.  The only major mishaps that the company made were in their marine creatures. They are simply inexcusable. I am quite fond of the Plesiosarus, but only as a Nessie.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 18, 2015, 06:10:48 AM

Gonna be honest.  When I first got Papo's Velociraptor, T. rex, and Allosaurus, they became a company I expected great things from.

Papo has been consistent in quality over the years. If anything, they are actually paying more attention to accuracy which is certainly a good thing for collectors.  The only problem is that they have decreased the number of models per year.  The only major mishaps that the company made were in their marine creatures. They are simply inexcusable. I am quite fond of the Plesiosarus, but only as a Nessie.
Quote from: tanystropheus on January 18, 2015, 06:05:32 AM
Welp.  Gonna be passing on Papo this year.  Not that I don't like Apatosaurus, but I don't have shelf space to devote to a dinosaur that's not one of my favorites.  And the pterosaur is pretty meh to me.

I disagree with your assessment. The Pterosaur is not 'meh' by any means  :o ???

It is only the very best representation of Tupuxuara, or any pterosaur for that matter, in toy form :P

I'm sure it's a great representation.  Just not too interested in the animal itself.

And to me, the way they did the Dilophosaurus just made me feel a bit more cautious about their figures.  You look at the stock photo and compare it to the actual figure and it's just disappointing.  If I could change how it stands, I would without question.

mpchi

Quote from: dragon53 on January 18, 2015, 04:29:57 AM
One defining characteristic of the Apatosaurus is its huge size---but Papo released a young Apatosaurus that doesn't fully utilize that huge size.

Totally. And I don't mean to bash Papo, as the catalog picture shows a very attractively sculpted Apatosaurus. Very grateful for them to make one. Its just that they came so close, yet they chose to shrink it to cut cost and name it "Young or Juvenile" to justify the smaller size, when it is obvious a shrunk down adult sculpt. Which also means there is close to zero chance that there will be a bigger version, since there is little difference to justify making an adult (would have done it in the first place, or more likely if we are being offered a baby Apatosaurus instead of 'young' one). If only they extended the length from 37cm to 50cm, that would at least give it a big enough size to look and feel massive, even though it may still be a bit smaller than their Brachiosaurus. The Brachiosaurus would be their tallest in the collection, while the Apatosaurus be the longest. When other companies managed to make very long sauropods figures at affordable price, I don't see why not for Papo with a slightly higher price tag. As big as the Brachiosaurus, its still very affordable at the $30-40 price range. Sigh...

Again. Still very happy and grateful for Papo's offering and will buy one myself for sure. Just that it could have been the 'perfect' big size beautiful Apatosaurus that tops all competition, and the one we have been wanting at an affordable price for a very long time. In the end, it fell a bit short...literally.

tanystropheus

I'm just happy that we even got a sauropod after the "rumored' lackluster sales of the Brachiosaurus. Perhaps, if this Apato sells well, we will receive a deluxe adult Apato in 2016.

If mini-sauropods is really a thing for Papo, then I advise that they consider making Amargasaurus (this one in particular screams Papo), Saltasaurus (Papo can do justice to the osteoderms), Ampelosaurus or even the prosauropod Plateosaurus.

suspsy

Dicraeosaurus, Europasaurus, Nigersaurus, and Shunosaurus are also nice and little. Shunosaurus also has that awesome spiked club on its tail.

Is there any way to confirm that the Brachiosaurus did not sell well?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dobber

Hmm, I'm a bit indifferent to this news, yes I wanted a bigger animal but I do agree that it may look good next to the SS figure. Though, I'm not sure how many people here have one  :o

As for Papo's quality, I gotta say...the much loved Allosaurus has been a huge disappointment to me. The finish on the 2 I have owned and others I have seen on the shelf are horrible and not even close to the preproduction photo's. I understand that the preproduction one will have a high highrer quality paint application, but mine are just "vague" representations of what they showed.. The pictures on TDTB are very misleading, including the in hand ones which look better than mine. Did Papo have a better quality release originally? There is a very clear demarcation line behind the skull where the upper neck part is attached. No subtle paint shift. No nice purplish tinting and very obvious dry brushing. Now their Rex and Carnotosaurus are very nice as is the Brachiosaurus...though the Brach has a very simple color scheme. Hopefully they will step up their game with later releases. Sorry for rambling a little off topic but I was curious if others have similar issues with their Allosaurus.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Tallin

Oh yeah! I would love to see more depictions of shunosaurus. The CollectA one is a bit goofy looking for me and I haven't seen any other models of it!

And My Allosaurus looked pretty much just as the photos...only a little more orangy around the head.

Centrosaur86

Indeed let papo focus on medium-sized sauropods. Because according to me is 40 cm the maximum length for papo.

kreativtek

Quote from: suspsy on January 18, 2015, 01:36:51 PM
Dicraeosaurus, Europasaurus, Nigersaurus, and Shunosaurus are also nice and little. Shunosaurus also has that awesome spiked club on its tail.

Is there any way to confirm that the Brachiosaurus did not sell well?

I don't think so. According to Everything Dinosaur, Brachiosaurus was one of the best selling sauropod figures last year.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Dobber on January 18, 2015, 01:37:32 PM
Hmm, I'm a bit indifferent to this news, yes I wanted a bigger animal but I do agree that it may look good next to the SS figure. Though, I'm not sure how many people here have one  :o

As for Papo's quality, I gotta say...the much loved Allosaurus has been a huge disappointment to me. The finish on the 2 I have owned and others I have seen on the shelf are horrible and not even close to the preproduction photo's. I understand that the preproduction one will have a high highrer quality paint application, but mine are just "vague" representations of what they showed.. The pictures on TDTB are very misleading, including the in hand ones which look better than mine. Did Papo have a better quality release originally? The is a very clear demarcation line behind the skull where the upper neck part is attached. No subtle paint shift. No nice purplish tinting and very obvious dry brushing. Now their Rex and Carnotosaurus are very nice as is the Brachiosaurus...the the Brach has a very simple color scheme. Hopefully they will step up their game with later releases. Sorry for rambling a little off topic but was curious if others have similar issues with their Allosaurus.

Chris

Actually, I've bought two Allosaurs, the second to replace the first which took one too many falls due to misaligned feet, and the color schemes were very different, enough so that I almost thought the new one was a bootleg.  I personally have yet to see one that looks exactly like the stock photo, but unlike the Dilophosaurus, I think this gives them personality.  Sorry to hear that you didn't like the Allosaurus.

Dobber

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on January 18, 2015, 02:22:07 PM

As for Papo's quality, I gotta say...the much loved Allosaurus has been a huge disappointment to me. The finish on the 2 I have owned and others I have seen on the shelf are horrible and not even close to the preproduction photo's. I understand that the preproduction one will have a high highrer quality paint application, but mine are just "vague" representations of what they showed.. The pictures on TDTB are very misleading, including the in hand ones which look better than mine. Did Papo have a better quality release originally? The is a very clear demarcation line behind the skull where the upper neck part is attached. No subtle paint shift. No nice purplish tinting and very obvious dry brushing. Now their Rex and Carnotosaurus are very nice as is the Brachiosaurus...the the Brach has a very simple color scheme. Hopefully they will step up their game with later releases. Sorry for rambling a little off topic but was curious if others have similar issues with their Allosaurus.

Chris

Actually, I've bought two Allosaurs, the second to replace the first which took one too many falls due to misaligned feet, and the color schemes were very different, enough so that I almost thought the new one was a bootleg.  I personally have yet to see one that looks exactly like the stock photo, but unlike the Dilophosaurus, I think this gives them personality.  Sorry to hear that you didn't like the Allosaurus.

I wouldn't say I dislike them...as I did buy a second one after I gave my first to a friends son who is really into dinosaurs....just disappointed. I'll take some pictures to show what I'm referring to. The 2 I have owned where bought off of Amazon.com and I have seen others on the shelf at a Hobby Town USA. All of them seem to look the way I described.  :-\

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

tanystropheus

As for Papo's quality, I gotta say...the much loved Allosaurus has been a huge disappointment to me. The finish on the 2 I have owned and others I have seen on the shelf are horrible and not even close to the preproduction photo's. I understand that the preproduction one will have a high highrer quality paint application, but mine are just "vague" representations of what they showed.. The pictures on TDTB are very misleading, including the in hand ones which look better than mine. Did Papo have a better quality release originally? There is a very clear demarcation line behind the skull where the upper neck part is attached. No subtle paint shift. No nice purplish tinting and very obvious dry brushing. Now their Rex and Carnotosaurus are very nice as is the Brachiosaurus...though the Brach has a very simple color scheme. Hopefully they will step up their game with later releases. Sorry for rambling a little off topic but I was curious if others have similar issues with their Allosaurus.

Chris

My Papo Allosaurus looks exactly like the stock photo. The only difference that I can think of is that the colors are a bit more faint. I think the stock image uses higher contrast in the photograph. I'm actually surprised that my Allosaurus is still standing. My Oviraptor, Running T-rex and Spinosaurus have all toppled over. I need to either buy some earthquake-proof gum or design bases for them. Papo models are generally faithful to the stock image. The only major discrepancy that I've noticed is the colors on the Oviraptor. The Oviraptor's colors are far more vibrant and rich in the stock image.

Wild Safari and Carnegie have a more difficult time replicating the stock image. Usually the quality is somewhat inferior in the final product (mostly due to sloppy paint application). Surprisingly, the Nasutoceratops and the Sauropelta appear to be significantly better than the stock image, especially the Sauropelta. The final products are masterpieces.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 18, 2015, 03:42:24 PM

Chris

My Papo Allosaurus looks exactly like the stock photo. The only difference that I can think of is that the colors are a bit more faint. I think the stock image uses higher contrast in the photograph. I'm actually surprised that my Allosaurus is still standing. My Oviraptor, Running T-rex and Spinosaurus have all toppled over. I need to either buy some earthquake-proof gum or design bases for them. Papo models are generally faithful to the stock image. The only major discrepancy that I've noticed is the colors on the Oviraptor. The Oviraptor's colors are far more vibrant and rich in the stock image.

Wild Safari and Carnegie have a more difficult time replicating the stock image. Usually the quality is somewhat inferior in the final product (mostly due to sloppy paint application). Surprisingly, the Nasutoceratops and the Sauropelta appear to be significantly better than the stock image, especially the Sauropelta. The final products are masterpieces.
I had toppling problems with my running T.rex, even tried the hot water trick which worked temporarily.  Then I found the clear plastic base that he shipped with.  Stands in it no problem, can be removed easily, and it's clear so it isn't obtrusive.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: