News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, December 18, 2014, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpchi

Finally have the Apatosaurus in hand (thanks to Everything Dinosaurs), and it is indeed a very nice model. The paint job on mine is good, but there are some random uneven spots that can use some touch up, and the face/teeth are not as well painted as my Brachiosaurus. But there is indeed more going on with Apatosaurus' paint job than Brachiosaurus'. There are more layers of washes, but with less consistency throughout the body, but not necessary worse than your average Papo release (or I just got lucky with my Brachiosaurus as that one doesn't need any touch up, unlike most others). The size is pretty much like my old photoshop image comparison, but with the tail stretching out to more like 42cm instead of 37cm. However, the bulk of the torso is actually less of the Triceratops. The width and length of the torso is much closer to the Running T-Rex (but with a much deeper belly), with a much longer neck and tail connected. The Triceratops is a bigger model, if you don't count Apatosaurus' neck & tail. The end of the tail is very soft, allowing you to change the curl slightly with some heat & ice treatment.

Overall, excellent sculpt with nice finer details similar to Brachiosaurus, paint job is decent, and a bit small in size. But since I have longed for a Papo Apatosaurus for a long while, this one delivers and easily bump it to my top favorite model in my collection.

Albertosaurus

Finally my Apato arrived. Very nice model, but nothing mindblowing. The sculpt is quite good though I don´t like the open mouth and twisted neck. I have tried the hot air/water technique but it goes back to the initial position after a while. The paint job is more than decent in mine, without any flaws.
Overall a very nice model.
I received the Tupuxuara too. Cool model,quite small as expected, very visible seam lines and some other small flaws that are not very usual in Papo products. The paintjob in this one is not as good as in the Apato.
Overall, a bit disappointing model considering that it is Papo.

tanystropheus

Although, this Apato can be regarded as a relatively accurate depiction, the 'twisted' neck posture can be seen as a well-intentioned nod to its forebears, notably, the Invicta Apatosaurus*.

correction: Mamenchisaurus*

more twisted neck depictions:
http://coolandcollected.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/dinoriders-brontosaurus.jpg
http://static.tumblr.com/thaygdj/tqkm7zggk/diplodocus-front-small.jpg

postsaurischian

:)  I like this Tupuxuara a lot, one of Papo's best if you ask me.

Shonisaurus

It gives me a beauty, is a mixture of animal defensive posture and at the same time retuerze tormented pain for some wound. I look with magnifying glass and you can see even the smallest detail.

CityRaptor

No surif this has been mentioned yet, but I just found out that Papo retired the green Baby Tyrannosaurus!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tanystropheus

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 20, 2015, 09:17:26 PM

:)  I like this Tupuxuara a lot, one of Papo's best if you ask me.

Wow, all your recent Papos have this really nice reddish tinge that seems to bring out the fine details. Are you taking the pictures in natural light?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Papo Apato ( courtesy of Dans Dinosaurs) compared with Sideshow Apato.

I was able to finally compare the two and from what I can tell the legs on the Papo are a little shorter, and the neck is bigger/a bit longer.   I really think maybe this was intended to be a younger animal after all. Everything else about it is a spot on copy of the Sideshow piece. Seems odd the sculptor would miss these details after doing so well on the rest of the sculpt.  It's still an awesome piece and makes a really nice younger animal for the larger Sideshow.

suspsy

I still don't like how thick that neck is compared to the body.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

They look really good together  ^-^

Dan

Regardless of their intentions, it does pair pretty well with the original Blanco sculpt. Had to snap this image when I happened to notice what was just behind them.  O Apatosaurus, how thirty years have changed ye. :'(

I tried photographing them together, but it just didn't convey their similarities very well. Maybe if someone scaled them, and reversed one of them, it would be easier to see. I think even if they had copied the original more carefully, it would still be no contest. The Sideshow Apatosaurus is easily among my favorite models.

darth daniel

Thanks for the comparison pics. :)
For me, the Sideshow Apatosaurus is all about subtlety (unfortunately, I don´t have one). The problem with Papo´s Apatosaurus is that they apparently looked at the subtleties of the Sideshow model and overemphasised them on their own. Maybe this is nonsense but I could imagine that in a younger individual the vertebrae might not be so pronounced yet. Subtlety seems not to be Papo´s style and I still want to get the figure soon, but in this case I wish they had copied the Sideshow model a bit closer.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 21, 2015, 12:05:10 AM
No surif this has been mentioned yet, but I just found out that Papo retired the green Baby Tyrannosaurus!
Seeing the catalog, you are right! Maybe updating the model?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: RolandEden on March 21, 2015, 01:24:04 PM

Well knowing Papo in the background would not be bad news, with hyper-realistic figures do not surprise me that would make a great baby dinosaur.

As I say "every cloud has a silver lining".

reinier zwanink

@ blade
What is that behind your apato?
Horizons brachio?

suspsy

Quote from: RolandEden on March 21, 2015, 01:24:04 PM

Perhaps they'll remould it with feathers!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dobber

Great pictures Blade. What is the Theropod in those pictures? It looks great!

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: reinier zwanink on March 21, 2015, 08:16:03 PM
@ blade
What is that behind your apato?
Horizons brachio?

That's the Kaiyodo Brachiosaurus. :)

Quote from: Dobber on March 21, 2015, 09:20:09 PM
Great pictures Blade. What is the Theropod in those pictures? It looks great!

Chris

That would be Shane Foulkes' Torvosaurus.

tyrantqueen

I wonder what scale the Papo Apato is supposed to be. 1/50 maybe?

Also, nice models there BotM :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 22, 2015, 02:40:40 AM
I wonder what scale the Papo Apato is supposed to be. 1/50 maybe?

Also, nice models there BotM :)

Thanks. :)

I'm not sure of the scale..it's kinda small. Nowhere near the 1:40 of the older Carnegie piece. Maybe closeer to whatever the the Wild Safari is?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: