News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, December 18, 2014, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

Love both figs! Okay, they're not original once again, but at least they tweak the SS models well enough to get away with it. It'll be nice to have an affordable Tupuxuara on the market.

I hope the Apato is big, juvenile or adult. :)

Centrosaur86

Beautiful all two!! But I still have 1 wish.. Let the Apatosaurus on scale with the Allosaurus and Stegosaurus Papo! That means a length of 55 cm.  :D ;)

postsaurischian

:-\ Looking at the photo I don't like the Apatosaurus ....... but it could be the photo. I don't see those Sideshow similarities.
       It's the pose that I dislike about the animal and it appears to be pretty plump. I prefer sauropods to be more elegant. Being huge would be a good point though ;D.
              I hope REBOR wil make sauropods that are more according to my taste.

tanystropheus

It seems that Papo (inexpensive), REBOR (expensive) and Sideshow (high-end) are in the same spectrum for 'lifelike' prehistoric products.

tyrantqueen

Was the scale for the Tupux mentioned in Everything Dinosaur's video? I might consider getting it if it's in a certain scale ;) But I might mod mine with epoxy putty so that it has pterofuzz.

ItsTwentyBelow

Nice new figures from Papo this year!

I do have some mixed feelings about them both being so heavily and obviously inspired by the Sideshow maquettes of these two animals. I think it is safe to say Papo would not even have considered a Tupuxuara if the Sideshow maquette didn't already exist. However as others have said, Papo has tweaked them both enough to be original, and I did love the hefty neck on the Sideshow Apatosaurus anyway. This is not the level of copying that I see with GeoWorld figures, so I'm happy. Will have these two at some point!

I will be kinda bummed if it turns out the Apato is nowhere near as sizable as their Brachiosaurus. Just saw that Brachio (I mean Giraffatitan) in a shop in person, and while not the most accurate it sure has a presence! I hope this Apato is at least noticeably bigger than the Wild Safari.

We welcome 1:40 scale adult sauropods, Papo!  ^-^

tanystropheus

If Papo ever releases a 1/40 Mamenchisaurus, I will be bouncing off the walls :D

Meso-Cenozoic

I'm in agreement with everyone else about the scale of the Apato. I too hope it's big enough to scale well with their other Jurassic period figures. But I'm guessing it might be smaller than we'd want because of the "Young" labeling. Although I'd LOVE for it to be nice and big next to their Al and Stego, I guess in the real world Al would more naturally go after a younger Apato. And this guy's pose kind of looks like he's turning and yelling at something in back of him nipping at his flanks. ;)

ItsTwentyBelow

I think I would audibly shout "Hooray!" from my chair if they ever announced a 1:40 scale Opisthocoelicaudia  ;)

Now THAT would be the way to give us an adult sauropod and avoid the high pricing!  >:D

DinoLord

With the trend of Sideshow inspiration I think we won't be seeing another Papo sauropod until we see another Sideshow one. I would not mind either.

Gwangi

Quote from: DinoLord on December 20, 2014, 01:06:03 AM
With the trend of Sideshow inspiration I think we won't be seeing another Papo sauropod until we see another Sideshow one. I would not mind either.

I dunno. I think we'll eventually see an Amargasaurus from Papo, perhaps before Sideshow. I certainly hope so. It's the perfect dinosaur for a company like Papo.

DinoLord

Good point Gwangi; I had forgotten about that one. I can certainly see Papo going crazy with the spines on that one!

leidy

If Papo ever go for another sauropod, I'd like to see it be Ampelosaurus. They're a French company.  It's a French sauropod.  One would think it'd at least be on their radar.

It's also a very cool and unique sauropod.  And one that actually demands, and would really benefit from the level of detailing Papo always delivers.  For a nice mid-size dinosaur that wouldn't break the bank, I don't think they could go far wrong with Ampelosaurus.

DinoLord

I'd like to see that too, but given that Papo has historically never done obscure genera I personally don't see them starting any time soon.  :-\

leidy

Maybe I'm in too deep, but I don't consider Ampelosaurus obscure.  ;D It's quite a popular subject for artists. 

It's not like that Swiss sauropod sometimes lumped into Cetiosauriscus, or one of the lesser-known Tendaguru sauropods like Janenschia.  There are numerous obscure, awkwardly-named and forgettable sauropods that don't have the benefit of any obvious distinctive features to stand out from the crowd.  Ampelosaurus has a memorable gimmick, and an easily pronounceable name.

I remember when Amargasaurus seemed obscure.  It's now had several figures and generated a lot of artwork to put it on the map.  I don't think it's yet appeared in any movies or CG animated documentaries, so still not a dino movie star, and as dinosaurs go, probably C-list or D-list celebrity status.   ;)

Takama

Quote from: DinoLord on December 20, 2014, 01:49:36 AM
I'd like to see that too, but given that Papo has historically never done obscure genera I personally don't see them starting any time soon.  :-\

I thoght that Pachyrhinosaurus and Acheroopteryx were obscure enough. Though the Former was based on a creature from Disneys Dinosaur

suspsy

Europasaurus, Nigersaurus, and Dicraeosaurus would also be nifty little sauropods.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoLord

Quote from: Takama on December 20, 2014, 02:35:16 AM
Quote from: DinoLord on December 20, 2014, 01:49:36 AM

I thoght that Pachyrhinosaurus and Acheroopteryx were obscure enough. Though the Former was based on a creature from Disneys Dinosaur

As you mentioned Pachyrhinosaurus was in the Disney movie (which was pretty popular with us kids at the time). I would say Archaeopteryx is pretty famous with is reputation for being 'the first bird' and all.

Takama

Im sure that some year they will exhaust all the common ones and make something unique

DinoLord

Quote from: Takama on December 20, 2014, 03:31:43 AM
Im sure that some year they will exhaust all the common ones and make something unique

Hopefully. The Tupuxuara is a good sign - maybe if Sideshow sculpts more obscure genera Papo will too!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: