News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nature Photography (Formally Spring is in the Air)

Started by Gwangi, March 13, 2012, 02:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: Takama on June 14, 2016, 06:26:51 AM
Quote from: Doug Watson on June 11, 2016, 02:43:37 PM
Quote from: Takama on June 11, 2016, 03:48:10 AM
Been to my Grocery Store and out in the parking lot there were these little guys hopping around.   I caught one and took it to a safer location so i can photograph it with my phone.

Was there an IHOP nearby?  ;)

No our town is too small for a IHOP.   There is a gas station and a Walgreens nearby and a Bar up the street.

In the words of Foghorn Leghorn, "That's a joke, ah say, that's a joke, son."
You know "these little guys hopping around" and IHOP, I Hop, get it.......

Takama

Quote from: Doug Watson on June 14, 2016, 02:10:25 PM
Quote from: Takama on June 14, 2016, 06:26:51 AM
Quote from: Doug Watson on June 11, 2016, 02:43:37 PM
Quote from: Takama on June 11, 2016, 03:48:10 AM
Been to my Grocery Store and out in the parking lot there were these little guys hopping around.   I caught one and took it to a safer location so i can photograph it with my phone.

Was there an IHOP nearby?  ;)

No our town is too small for a IHOP.   There is a gas station and a Walgreens nearby and a Bar up the street.

In the words of Foghorn Leghorn, "That's a joke, ah say, that's a joke, son."
You know "these little guys hopping around" and IHOP, I Hop, get it.......

I figured as much. But my Asperger's syndrome makes it hard for me to detect sarcasm.

Heres another photo from that same day 

Doug Watson

Quote from: Takama on June 14, 2016, 11:39:40 PM
I figured as much. But my Asperger's syndrome makes it hard for me to detect sarcasm.

Believe me when I say it was hilarious.....just kidding. You aren't the first and you won't be the last to not get one of my jokes. That's why I put the winking emoji. Maybe I should also add "just kidding" to be sure.
Nice pictures by the way.

That's all for toaday.  ;) :D

Newt

I said my camera was no good for birds, but that's not completely accurate. If the bird sits perfectly still and lets me approach within conversation distance, like this tame or oblivious city-dwelling mourning dove...

More often I get something like this:

Doug Watson

Quote from: Newt on June 15, 2016, 04:39:07 PM
I said my camera was no good for birds, but that's not completely accurate. If the bird sits perfectly still and lets me approach within conversation distance, like this tame or oblivious city-dwelling mourning dove...

Great shot! I have had them nesting on my property and I have never taken a shot that good. I also never realized their legs were that shade of bright vermillion.

Newt

Thanks Doug! It's definitely a bird that rewards close inspection - lots of subtle colors and markings. The only time I've been that close to a live dove before was when I caught one that had gotten into a chicken run and couldn't find its way out.

btb300

Hi guys,
Despite the foul weather we had the opportunity to watch a flying display of birds of prey at Aillwee Cave. I took only one picture worth showing with my phone, but the whole experience was quite amazing.
Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear.

Doug Watson

Quote from: btb300 on June 19, 2016, 06:10:25 PM
Hi guys,
Despite the foul weather we had the opportunity to watch a flying display of birds of prey at Aillwee Cave. I took only one picture worth showing with my phone, but the whole experience was quite amazing.

Did you post an image, its not showing up to me anyway?

Doug Watson

Beautiful day kayaking the day before Father's Day. Saw four more different species of dragonflies, deer, snakes, frogs turtles etc. There were still two eggs in the loon nest and the rangers had finally put up the warning signs I suggested. I didn't see the adults however.

One of two Whitetail Does my wife spotted on shore. One was up and eating and this one was lying down and getting bit by deer flies.

Here it is scratching its nose with its hind hoof and you can see the damage the flies are doing.

Things seem to be back to normal snake wise seeing more Water Snakes than Rat Snakes, the reverse of last year. There were three good sized ones on this beaver lodge.

This one was above the water on an overhanging branch. Beautiful markings on it.

There were lots of these Northern Leopard Frogs where we ate our lunch.

With the stinking hot weather there were fewer turtles basking since they could get their rays floating on the surface. This is a baby Map Turtle.

There were several large schools of fingerlings. This one looked like either Shiners or some kind of Dace about 1/2 inch long. Maybe one of our fish experts can ID them from the close up. Not the best shot I am afraid.

Where there be fish, there be fish ducks. Female Common Merganser.

Pileated Woodpeckers continue to frustrate me. I have never been able to get one to sit still long enough for a good shot. This one is my best yet :(

Male Widow Skimmer

Male Twelve-spotted Skimmer

Male Lilypad Clubtail

Male Blue Dasher

btb300

Quote from: Doug Watson on June 24, 2016, 02:47:16 AM
Quote from: btb300 on June 19, 2016, 06:10:25 PM
Hi guys,

Did you post an image, its not showing up to me anyway?

Strange, I could see it in the preview and the post too, and now it's gone. Anyway I am adding it via a different link, thanks for noticing.

btb300

Quote from: Doug Watson on June 24, 2016, 03:12:11 AM
Beautiful day kayaking the day before Father's Day. Saw four more different species of dragonflies, deer, snakes, frogs turtles etc. There were still two eggs in the loon nest and the rangers had finally put up the warning signs I suggested. I didn't see the adults however.

Amazing shots again. Is the water really that green as on the photos of the fish, or is it just a reflection? It looks like a serious algae bloom. I also wonder how you get those shots of the deer. Is it the focal length of your lens or camouflage?

Doug Watson

Quote from: btb300 on June 24, 2016, 07:19:55 AM
Amazing shots again. Is the water really that green as on the photos of the fish, or is it just a reflection? It looks like a serious algae bloom. I also wonder how you get those shots of the deer. Is it the focal length of your lens or camouflage?

I can see your image now, great timing!

Sometimes its reflection but in this case it is algae. It has been stinking hot and dry this past month and the algae has really taken off with large masses that these fingerlings have been staying with.

No camo, I have a 60X zoom but being in kayaks we can get really close without spooking them, in this case I was about 15 feet away from her. The fact the deer are protected in the park also helps.

tyrantqueen

A beetle and a....beetle??

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Looks like a mealworm beetle. Protect your stored grain!

Guess what? Sloths!

tyrantqueen

:(

Derek.McManus

Noticed lots of butterflies this morning first time this year!

postsaurischian

It's more like "Summer is in the Air" here in the south of Germany. Very hot again this year - which I like a lot :).
  During the last weeks, when visiting my favourite local lake, I have been wondering where these giant tadpoles came from.
  I have never seen such ones before here. Now I think I found the reason.
  A few days ago I saw this cute fella just a few meters from where I sat down and took the camera out.

The frog tried to hide (and the camouflage was really excellent) but I followed him carefully .......

Not having too much zoom options I had to crawl very close for good shots .......

In the end I had a good tanning and the frog let me get unbelievably close.
  Only about one human hand between him and the lens in this pic .......

btb300

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 01, 2016, 08:39:49 PM

It's more like "Summer is in the Air" here in the south of Germany. Very hot again this year - which I like a lot :).
  During the last weeks, when visiting my favourite local lake, I have been wondering where these giant tadpoles came from.
  A few days ago I saw this cute fella just a few meters from where I sat down and took the camera out.

The frog tried to hide (and the camouflage was really excellent) but I followed him carefully .......

Not having too much zoom options I had to crawl very close for good shots .......

In the end I had a good tanning and the frog let me get unbelievably close.
  Only about one human hand between him and the lens in this pic .......

Great photos, sure it was a nice hunt with the camera.  I got a bit more closer during the weekend, and actually caught some frogs to show my daughter, who had a keen interest in them :) They were mostly very small though, often just the size of a fingernail.

Doug Watson

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 01, 2016, 08:39:49 PM

Nice to see the thread pick up with some nice new living animals. I thought the interest had waned after my last post. I doubt I will post again though too much work, and mostly shots of the same types of animals anyway (on my part).

Now that is a pretty frog. I did some searching and my guess is Pelophylax ridibundus or Marsh Frog am I correct or is it a hybrid? The pattern seems to match P. ridibundus but your colours are so much more vibrant than any examples I could find online.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: