News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nature Photography (Formally Spring is in the Air)

Started by Gwangi, March 13, 2012, 02:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Quiet here for some time, though spring is really in the air, at least here in Germany. After doin' some clean up (cutting back rampant black berry) in several lizard habitats I finally took a camera with me yesterday afternoon. Nothing too special, but some random shots of Podarcis muralis doin' the usual stuff they do in spring (filling their empty bellies and mating).

There's always one weirdo.... this one swallowing on a lizard tail while lacking its own tail. It is a particularity of this population, that many, maybe most, of the adult individuals lack their tail and/or have a regenerate. After seeing this I suspect that the lizards themselves bite off the tails of other lizards rather than dropping them/getting them bitten off for snakes or birds. The population is very strong, so quarreling over territory may be the reason.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 02, 2017, 11:16:31 AM
Quiet here for some time, though spring is really in the air, at least here in Germany. After doin' some clean up (cutting back rampant black berry) in several lizard habitats I finally took a camera with me yesterday afternoon. Nothing too special, but some random shots of Podarcis muralis doin' the usual stuff they do in spring (filling their empty bellies and mating).

What a pretty little lizard, I am once again envious here in lizard free Ottawa. Apparently someone let 12 loose in Vancouver in 1970 but they haven't made it to here yet or the thriving population in Ohio that was released in 1950 starting with 10 individuals. Do they eat earwigs? I could use them in my garden to get rid of that other european import.

Lanthanotus

Hi Doug,... earwigs, I'd guess so, though such are mostly nocturnal and hide during the days, so could be hard to find for the lizards. Gardeners here in Europe appreciate and support earwigs with providing hiding places as they feed one large numbers of plant louses.

GasmaskMax

I saw a wild river otter running around in my yard last friday, odd as im not near any bodies if water suitable for an otter like that.  Im worried it might still be around and that it will get into my fish pond.

Lanthanotus

It's spring, so it most likely was a young male on the look for an own territory and/or females. If your pond just has fish but nothing more suitable for an otter habitat, then you'd need not worry, it probaly is already gone for miles. Otters travel wide distances on the look for new homes or mates. Would that my near environment was in any circumstance suitable for otters, but unfortunatley it is not.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 02, 2017, 01:06:52 PM
Gardeners here in Europe appreciate and support earwigs with providing hiding places as they feed one large numbers of plant louses.

Isn't that strange, I hadn't heard of that benefit here. Over here they are only considered a pest since they feed on our garden vegetables and flowers. It could be we lack a predator over here that exists over where you are because at the height of their season if you lift a board or spray water into the cracks between boards they pour out in the hundreds. They destroy young vegetable seedlings and strip the leaves of my marigolds and roses especially. I had to stop using mulch in the garden because the mulch would be crawling with them. They only arrived in this region some 37 years ago.

Newt

Some weeds:

Field Pansy

Yellow Wood Sorrel and Widow's Cross

Henbit

More to come. Also: spiders!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Newt on April 13, 2017, 09:43:38 PM
Some weeds:
Field Pansy
Yellow Wood Sorrel and Widow's Cross
Henbit
More to come. Also: spiders!

Flowers already....show off! Our tulips are only just pushing their way through the frozen ground.

ZoPteryx

Some scenes from the California's "Super Bloom"!  Photographed in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.

And it wouldn't be spring without baby bunnies...

...and birds singing giant raptors strutting their stuff!

CrypticPrism

Are those secretary birds in a zoo? Or roaming wild :o?
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

ZoPteryx

Quote from: CrypticPrism on April 18, 2017, 03:16:59 AM
Are those secretary birds in a zoo? Or roaming wild :o?

San Diego Zoo Safari Park  ;)

Halichoeres

I'm so jealous of all the people enjoying the superbloom! I'll be out there in June, but by then it will all be gone.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 16, 2017, 08:16:28 AM
Flowers already....show off! Our tulips are only just pushing their way through the frozen ground.

Our tulips have come and gone; the iris and lilacs are in full swing. It's 85 F here.  :))

Some wildflowers:

Bloody Butcher

Yellow version of Bloody Butcher

Mayapple

Early Blue Violet

Pawpaw

Shooting Star

Jack in the Pulpit

Dwarf Larkspur

Little Sweet Betsy

Virginia Spring Beauty

Meadow-rue

Star of Bethlehem

Wild Rose

Northern Dewberry (with supernumerary petal)

Miami Mist

Widow's Cross

ZoPteryx

Came across one of my favorite insects today!  The Diabolical Ironclad Beetle>:D

To quote Sam Wells Bug Page:
QuoteIronclad beetles are the tanks of the insect world. They are famous (or infamous) for walking away after being stepped on. There are even reports of species being run over by cars without apparent harm. To an entomologist, they are notorious for the challenge of getting an insect pin through their thick skin (cuticle). What usually happens is the first attempt bends the pin. The second attempt bruises the thumb and forefinger to the bone. And then with a combination of anger and grit (and with two hands gripping the shaft) the pin is forced through the reinforced exoskeleton. With luck it has gone through straight and without popping the legs off on the other side. Very often it doesn't – as verified by any number of oddly pinned specimens stuck to the bottom of unit trays in the museums of the world.

BlueKrono

Quote from: ZoPteryx on April 26, 2017, 06:36:11 AM
Came across one of my favorite insects today!  The Diabolical Ironclad Beetle>:D

To quote Sam Wells Bug Page:
QuoteIronclad beetles are the tanks of the insect world. They are famous (or infamous) for walking away after being stepped on. There are even reports of species being run over by cars without apparent harm. To an entomologist, they are notorious for the challenge of getting an insect pin through their thick skin (cuticle). What usually happens is the first attempt bends the pin. The second attempt bruises the thumb and forefinger to the bone. And then with a combination of anger and grit (and with two hands gripping the shaft) the pin is forced through the reinforced exoskeleton. With luck it has gone through straight and without popping the legs off on the other side. Very often it doesn't – as verified by any number of oddly pinned specimens stuck to the bottom of unit trays in the museums of the world.

That thing is a BEAST! Thanks for sharing!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Ravonium

I wish we had insects like this where I live.  :(

Lanthanotus

Never heard of that beastie before, looks like one tough beetle.

Nothing I found in spring neither in my usual environment, but I thought it somewhat fitting here.... cannot say what species (though it's very recognizable probably, but I have no field guide for Aussie insects), but a hard nut to swallow for potential enemies I bet. The first beetle I ever saw with spikes, nothing alike living in my area...

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Doug Watson

Quote from: Newt on April 20, 2017, 10:34:08 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on April 16, 2017, 08:16:28 AM

Our tulips have come and gone; the iris and lilacs are in full swing. It's 85 F here.  :))

Some wildflowers:

We are finally getting some warmth up her in the 60s and it is supposed to reach 79 tomorrow which isn't the norm.
Beautiful shots of spring flowers Newt. That Bloody Butcher is interesting the White Trillium is Ontario's flower, we also get a Red and a Painted but no variegated leaves.
I have never seen an actual Paw Paw, by the way were you.......Picking up paw-paws; put 'em in a basket.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 26, 2017, 08:32:03 AM
Never heard of that beastie before, looks like one tough beetle.

Nothing I found in spring neither in my usual environment, but I thought it somewhat fitting here.... cannot say what species (though it's very recognizable probably, but I have no field guide for Aussie insects), but a hard nut to swallow for potential enemies I bet. The first beetle I ever saw with spikes, nothing alike living in my area...

That thing is amazing!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: