News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tallin's Palaeoart and Sculpts

Started by Tallin, January 03, 2015, 08:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Tallin on February 22, 2015, 12:45:17 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 22, 2015, 12:39:12 AM

Have you tried making a head looking closer to the viewer but the body blurred in the background?

Not yet! That's a great idea to try though and next him I draw a likely dinosaur I'll give it a go!

Always fun to play with perspective!

Tallin

It certainly is!

Here's day three: favourite ornithopod: Olorotitan

Blade-of-the-Moon

A very interesting hadrosaur..one I may tackle one day here at the Park. I think Corythosaurus is next though after the Anatotitan/Edmontosaurus.

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 24, 2015, 12:12:41 AM
A very interesting hadrosaur..one I may tackle one day here at the Park. I think Corythosaurus is next though after the Anatotitan/Edmontosaurus.

Why Corythosaurus?   How about Velafrons, something Obscure for your visitors

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on February 24, 2015, 12:43:21 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 24, 2015, 12:12:41 AM

Why Corythosaurus?   How about Velafrons, something Obscure for your visitors

We do obscure on occasion..but i kinda like old roman helmet head..lol

Tallin

Day 4 - overall favourite dino! Suchomimus for me!

The hands are pretty messed up...I was struggling to draw them from this perspective ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ah! My 2nd favorite dinosaur! Looks awesome!

I think the hands wouldn't be noticeable really, but if you can try getting a figure like the WS Suchomimus and try looking at the hands from the angle you want to draw them. Really helps especially on difficult perspective points.

Tallin

That is a good idea...I was using various pieces of palioart for reference but it's hard to find an image with the right perspective so I'll definitely try using my models more from now! :)

Tyto_Theropod

Wow, your palaeoart is amazing! You really have got a nack for breathing life into these long-extinct animals. It makes my drawings look cartoony in comparison... need to practice more ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Tallin

Thank you so much! I'm always saying the opposite to my friend though, to me, their more cartoony style has a life and energy of it's own and I find my work lacks energy most of the time, so it's all relative! Besides, everyone has their own unique style!

Everything_Dinosaur

Tallin

Day 5 - Graciliraptor!

I'm pretty sure that the proportions are off here making her look too chunky...then again, I have a nasty flu type bug right now so I think I have an excuse...

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's pretty difficult to make something look realistic and give it a personality..a lot of it is in the eyes. I think your pretty close to achieving both.

Tallin

Tallin

And here is day 7 - a Miragaia in a speculative sleeping position.

DinoLord

Nice - never seen a sleeping stegosaur illustration before!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Interesting. I've always just see them hunkered down on all fours to rest/sleep. The pose might be possible but it looks uncomfortable.. lol

Tallin

Yeah, I started off by basing it on sleeping elephants, who kind of half lie on their sides. Sort of half-way between lying on their side and on their belly.
I imagined that the shoulder spike on the other side would be just about resting on the ground rather than skewering into it...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Tallin on March 05, 2015, 07:23:16 PM
Yeah, I started off by basing it on sleeping elephants, who kind of half lie on their sides. Sort of half-way between lying on their side and on their belly.
I imagined that the shoulder spike on the other side would be just about resting on the ground rather than skewering into it...

At least if it's not muddy they wouldn't get stuck...lol  I'd say when it comes to sleeping it's  another position stegosaurs would have it ease into I imagine. heh

Tallin

Yep, any I have no idea how they'd even begin to deal with mating haha.
So awkward and spiny.

But I guess you could say the same about hedgehogs and thorny dragon lizards...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: