News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

STOP WITH THE ALL THE GIFS!!!!!

Started by Keir, January 06, 2015, 12:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keir

Hi
Was given a Papo T-Rex as a gift by the guy at the gift shop in a museum in Munich the other day and have been hooked with these figures and these forums ever since.
But I have a big issue- the constant animations in the threads are overpowering. Seeing the same manga or gif over and over and over in overlarge size is too much. I tried ad-blocking but then it removes ALL images in posts which are actually relevant to the topic. Is there no way to tone it down to let others enjoy what we came in (after spending 5 minutes filling in missing digits in a slew of dinosaurs' names just to register).  You love Japanese kids' cartoons. Great. But how is repeating the same 5 second scene ad infinitum serving any purpose?
Cheers. had to get that off my chest.

Simon

Frankly I find the link to Nazi imagery that is on the website linked at the end of your post to be far more offensive than any gifs on this website.

I'm not gonna spend the time reading it to figure out whether that site is meant to glorify Naziism or not - but my point simply is that this is a dinosaur toy site.  And a  link on this site that takes me somewhere where the first thing I see is a swastika I find highly offensive.

Manatee

I agree with you there. We don't really need to be reading about the site of Hitler's bunker and New Reich chancellery on the Dinosaur Toy Forum; it's not only offensive, but irrelevant to the topic of Japanese anime gifs as well. In response to your issue, you can go to your settings and disable the viewing of signatures.

DinoToyForum

Rudeness is against the forum rules, so this is a warning first and foremost. C:-)
---
Go to your forum profile, then go to look and layout, and select the option 'ignore signatures'. sorted.

The registration process is to stop spambots.

I deleted your unnecessary link.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Paleogene Pals

Uh yeah, Nazi's have nothing to do with this forum. I didn't see the link (it was removed) but the subject matter that website contained is extremely inappropriate...pretty much everywhere!  And, it will get you into a lot of trouble.

amargasaurus cazaui

Mine is a dinosaur...cannot think of a more appropriate gif than a dinosaur for a dinosaur toy forum...sheesh
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

triceratops83

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 06, 2015, 02:24:09 AM
Mine is a dinosaur...cannot think of a more appropriate gif than a dinosaur for a dinosaur toy forum...sheesh

I always find myself watching that Psittacosaurus - very active little thing. I like his expression when he looks over his shoulder. Plus, I don't have to watch that particular movie thanks to you... I'm guessing that's the best part.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

SpittersForEver

I enjoy the moving signatures, though it can get annoying when they slow down the scrolling but that isn't really an issue.

alexeratops

If it's really necessary, I would just change mine into a still, not a gif. It would serve the same purpose. :)
like a bantha!

Paleogene Pals

The moving signatures never really bothered me.

Tallin

I've never seen them as a problem and they never slow down my scrolling...plus they liven up an otherwise static page as long as they aren't offensive, of which I've seen none anyway. I agree with triceratops83 - I like watching that psittacosaurus too!

SpittersForEver

Quote from: Tallin on January 06, 2015, 01:40:36 PM
I've never seen them as a problem and they never slow down my scrolling...plus they liven up an otherwise static page as long as they aren't offensive, of which I've seen none anyway. I agree with triceratops83 - I like watching that psittacosaurus too!

That might be because I'm using quite an old Apple mac.

CityRaptor

They sometimes caused me issues due to my slow internet connection. But using the "ignore signatures" option is indeed useful.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Doug Watson

I have an IMac and they haven't given me a problem. I find them very entertaining especially the dinosaur themed ones. Simon you need to find one from the Jazz Singer. I have no clue what you look like but every time I look at your avatar he makes me smile.

Libraraptor

SBell

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 15, 2015, 08:57:03 PM
Unlucky start for you here, Keir.

It appears to have also been a finish. Perhaps that will change.

amargasaurus cazaui

Honestly my original take on this was...is that really all we have left to fight about? I hope my signature does not annoy people, but its clearly fitting for who I am and so forth here in the forum. I just dint think it was that big of deal, especially since it is a dinosaur and a rather well animated one at that, fish aside. I guess you have to give people just enough room to be themselves or it doesnt work sometimes
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

EmperorDinobot

I think this post means I've had too much internet for one day...

sauroid

i think this was just trolling everyone here
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

QuoteHonestly my original take on this was...is that really all we have left to fight about? I hope my signature does not annoy people, but its clearly fitting for who I am and so forth here in the forum. I just dint think it was that big of deal, especially since it is a dinosaur and a rather well animated one at that, fish aside. I guess you have to give people just enough room to be themselves or it doesnt work sometimes
I don't find it annoying. We had moving gif sigs on V1 and no-one complained about it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: